Menu

Mr. D Math or Thinkwell Math?

Hello Hive, I am considering having my DS (10th grade) do online Geometry this year as what we are currently doing (me teaching) isn't working out that great time-wise. Have you done one or both of Thinkwell Math or Mr. D Math?  MY DS does not like math but he is proficient. Typically, online classes can be distracting for him with chat boxes and such, but I think these are both video-based and self-paced so that will get rid of those distractions. He would prefer the most painless math possible. Thanks for the input!!!

My dd is taking Mr. D Geometry online this year. (did Mr D Algebra 1 last year). She takes the class live online and loves it. The curriculum is laid out well and I find it easy to help them when needed (my ds is in the Mr D prealgebra). It is very independent and dd LIKES math now. When I taught it, she did not. So, that's a win.  No experience with Thinkwell so can't comment there. 

• Like 3

I've got two kids doing Mr. D right now, though not Geometry. Mixed feelings. It's on the easy side. There's no human grading, which I dislike. They check their own work on the honor system. Tests are multiple choice online. One of my boys really likes his teacher. The other one is meh on his.

With Thinkwell though, there's no teacher at all. And with Mr. D's, you can also just use the self-paced version and then it's similar.

• Like 2

This would be for an asynchronous online class. One, or maybe both, has an option of teacher support via email (?) I think..... (maybe I was hoping....) Anyway, we have a free trial for both and they are offering similar topics for the trials so it is almost a head-to-head comparison. I watched the videos on each site for reasoning and proof topics (Chapter 2). The Mr. D video only showed hands writing on the whiteboard and had audio lecture; it was very clear and methodical if a trifle quick. The Thinkwell version had Dr. Burger lecturing about the topics with less visual support and some lame jokes. I personally preferred the Mr. D. but I think DS may feel it is too fast and impersonal with no one's face showing. 

A least he can try both and see.

My other concern is enough support and practice to make sure of retention and understanding. Is Mr. D superior here or Thinkwell?

MY DS typically takes a few passes at material to really get something. We used Saxon Pre-A and CLE Algebra 1 because DS required constant review to feel confident and to cement topics. 

My kids have done asynchronous Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and Geometry with Mr. D.  I don't know anything about Thinkwell, but what sold me on Mr. D is the twice weekly live help sessions that you can access if your kid needs support or has any questions. 

My kids do feel a connection to Mr. D. just from listening to him so much, and he sends the class emails to tell them various things, like where they should be in their lessons to finish by June 1. A few times a year he has the kids enter a drawing for Amazon gift cards.

Mr. D is also accessible through email and I have emailed him several times with questions and I have gotten a very quick response back. 

• Like 2

We have used both. I did not like thinkwell because not every problem is explained (if you get it wrong—there is an answer but not an explanation for every single one). If I were good at math, I could help here but I am not and it was frustrating.

Mr. D we did while traveling, and in different time zones and iffy WiFi. I want to say it was better than thinkwell but I can’t give a full review as we were not altogether with it while doing it 😬

we are again traveling (better WiFi ;), slower travel) and doing Derek Owens. It has worked the best of the online math programs. 

• Like 2

We did the Holt (Berger) book for geometry with the same-as-Thinkwell-videos that I found online. Dd didn't care for it at all. She learned Geometry, but didn't love it- and she's my math kid.

We used Mr. D for some test prep. It was convenient for that, and I would agree it's on the easier side. I felt like we needed a book to go into more depth.

We finished up Algebra 2 with Derek Owens (tested through until we hit something we didn't know after doing a different Algebra 2) and are doing Precalculus with him. It's been the best option for us. We do the half price self grading plus a weekly tutor.

If I had Geometry to do over again, though, I would look at Teaching Textbooks or Mr D for that. I guess Derek Owens is a very time consuming course for Geometry.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

This might not be an option, but I totally outsourced Algebra II for my 11th grade daughter to a tutor that she sees twice a week. We did Geometry that way last year, and her ACT score improved 6 points. He is a great teacher, and DD needs the one on one. Yes, it costs a bit of money, but three of her classes are free DE classes at a state college (Comp. I, psych. and Health/wellness). Next semester she will have Spanish, Anatomy/Physiology and an elective at the college. The other two based on Great Courses, textbooks and personal research (American History, literature). I love that math can be totally hands off for me.