Menu

Why do I only like baths when I am sick?

Terabith

https://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2018/oct/23/why-a-daily-bath-helps-beat-depression-and-how-to-have-a-good-one

At the beginning of the final three semesters of engineering school, I would have a bathtub cry.  DH thought I was crazy, but I felt so much better afterwards.  I always take a hot bath when stressed.

• Like 1

Baths are also good when you're sick or getting sick because they raise your body temp and help fight off the virus/bacteria.  

I love taking baths but I especially love them when I feel like I'm coming down with something.  They do soothe that achy chilled feeling.

edited to add:  one of the things I crave when I'm getting sick is candy and junk food.  😫  I don't know why by body does this because it's probably the worst thing to eat at that time.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2

When you have a viral infection or a fever, your body wants to upregulate heat shock proteins which boost your immune system. A hot bath causes your body to make more heat shock proteins. Kale supplementation increases heat shock proteins, too. That might be why you're drawn to taking a hot bath.

4 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2018/oct/23/why-a-daily-bath-helps-beat-depression-and-how-to-have-a-good-one

At the beginning of the final three semesters of engineering school, I would have a bathtub cry.  DH thought I was crazy, but I felt so much better afterwards.  I always take a hot bath when stressed.

Hyperthermic conditioning (heating up the body) has many health benefits. Charles Raison, now a professor of psychiatry at UWisconsin Madison, did a study recently where they had patients with major depressive disorder sit in a sauna at a particular temperature for a period of time and the results were very good. Results were even good six months after, IIRC. Depressed people are about two degrees warmer than they should be. Heating them up resets their temps back to normal. This is Rhonda Patrick's interview with him where they talk about the science behind it. Rhonda is a researcher who knows a lot about heat shock proteins as well.

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/charles-raison

Edited by BeachGal
  • Like 3

On 9/19/2019 at 10:38 AM, PrincessMommy said:

Baths are also good when you're sick or getting sick because they raise your body temp and help fight off the virus/bacteria.  

I love taking baths but I especially love them when I feel like I'm coming down with something.  They do soothe that achy chilled feeling.

edited to add:  one of the things I crave when I'm getting sick is candy and junk food.  😫  I don't know why by body does this because it's probably the worst thing to eat at that time.

Exactly re body temperature.  Inducing a fever with a hot bath helps a lot, especially if you bundle up and sleep afterwards.

Maybe not to the bolded.  Fructose in candy is easy to absorb and reduces nausea so much that corn syrup is the active ingredient in non-prescription anti nausea meds.  Chips & salty snacks not only physically break up mucous but the salt kills bacteria too.