Menu

No....just no!

PrincessMommy

That would be so sad and I really don't think I would be able to watch it.

I was just at a comic con this last weekend and attended a panel with some of the actors from The Princess Bride and one of the questions was about if they were to remake it who would they want to take on their roles.  It seemed like most of the room was horrified at the idea.  There are just some movies that really should not be remade and this is one of them.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Why can't they come up with one.single.orginal.idea???? That is what baffles me. Why do they keep simply redoing the same things over and over and over while making nothing new? I know in my head the answer is easy money and younger generations, but some part of me wants to wish they'd aspire to a high aesthetic......Seriously. Remakes and sequels should be reserved for horror films. That's it. No exceptions allowed. 

When I was at the theatre, I was amazed to see Stallone is doing another Rambo movie. Are you freakin kidding me? What is this, Rambo Sneaks Out of the Nursing Home? Leave a success alone, man! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Why can't they come up with one.single.orginal.idea???? That is what baffles me. Why do they keep simply redoing the same things over and over and over while making nothing new? I know in my head the answer is easy money and younger generations, but some part of me wants to wish they'd aspire to a high aesthetic......Seriously. Remakes and sequels should be reserved for horror films. That's it. No exceptions allowed. 

This... so much.

I've been saying the same thing for years.  Why can't they hire good writers?  It's just pure laziness.   The other thing they like to do is remake foreign films into American/English films.   It's like they can't come up with anything original. 

• Like 2

No matter what they do, it can't ruin the original for me. But I do wish they wouldn't. There is a lot of original content coming out - in part because there's just so much more content now overall. But it does seem like outlets put way too much money and creative juice into remaking things that still hold up great. Or rebooting things that just came out a few years ago.

I mean, if they love The Princess Bride so much, why not make another film that would appeal to fans of it? Instead of trying to remake the original.

• Like 5

Ugh. All remakes seem to cast the young male lead as a pretty boy only just old enough to grow his first moustache. They are so boringly interchangeable.

I have always regretted that Cary Elwes never featured in 'The Three Muskateers.' I feel the world lost the opportunity to produce a definitive version of that film.

11 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

It's not only about copyright.  It's also that episodic things/TV has opened up so many more jobs for screenwriters that they don't have enough good writers anymore.  And there is also less financial risk for known properties.  Also in the USA we tend to want things that are more politically correct, but international audiences want sexism, racism, and every other ism that tends to disturb us here.  So it's easier to do remakes and ridiculous superhero movies.

Hopefully the tide turns soon.

If any of you have creative writer kids who love tv & movies, you might consider having them explore screenwriting as a career.

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Ugh. All remakes seem to cast the young male lead as a pretty boy only just old enough to grow his first moustache. They are so boringly interchangeable.

I have always regretted that Cary Elwes never featured in 'The Three Muskateers.' I feel the world lost the opportunity to produce a definitive version of that film.

to quote Benedict from Much ado about nothing:  "Lord lackbeard"...

• Like 1

After the outcry any studio that would consider the remake might now be rethinking it. If they're thinking the remake will appeal to younger audiences that doesn't make sense. Younger people were introduced to it by their parents so if they're fans, they're fans of the original. The outcry might tell them the remake will be more than a flop - it might in fact be boycotted by all the PB fans - and we are legion.

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

While I agree with you about interchangeable male leads, to be fair both Cary Elwes and Robin Wright were young (early 20s) and green when they made the movie. He talks about that in his book As You Wish, about the making of the movie. I recommend it to any fan of the movie. The audio book is especially fun because besides being narrated by Elwes himself  there are guest narrations by several of the other cast members. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1