Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

Thank you homeschool veterans, for preparing me for the inevitable........

Dinner tonight, discussing the importance of politicians being well educated regarding world history, and the discussion took a turn......

Oldest child- "You know what would be a really great way to learn history? Going through time periods in order, and then doing them again at a later age and going more indepth, but repeating them so you'd remember better, and keeping a timeline. That would really help a lot." 

Me pulling my jaw off the floor- "Are you serious?" You mean exactly like YOU WERE TAUGHT HISTORY?!!?" 

Oldest child- "Well sort of but not really. I mean like, when you're younger going through and then going through more indepth again later. And keeping it all on timeline." 

Me restraining myself from digging her SL Timeline out of a box-  "You did that. You did exactly that. To be fair you were in school and that was different, but for all that we homeschooled, that's exactly what we did through your sophomore year!"   Points to bookshelves sagging under the weight of many SL cores and multiple versions of WTM. 

She shrugs. "Well, I don't think we did it exactly like this. My music teacher (Music History) is having us make a timeline and track the periods and take notes on what happened where and when. It's really helpful." 

Me inwardly- 🙄 outwardly- "I'm glad you like your music teacher so much."

Y'all told me it would happen. That kids will pull the zero recollection game. I just seriously thought it would be over a project. Not ALL OF HISTORY up through 10th grade. I am tempted to go get the timelines and stack them on her desk, but that would be petty. Right? 🙂

• Like 10
  • Haha 35

It was a toss up whether I should "like" you post with either the laughing or crying option -- wish there was a "gritting teeth with you" 😬 or wincing 😫 option... 😂

I read your post to DH, and he voted you should stack the timelines on her desk, because it will "save her time" in filling in those key dates and events for the Music History timeline -- she can just pull them from the timelines she did TWICE BEFORE... 😂

• Like 13
  • Haha 10

Glad you saw the humor through your frustration!! And that she recognizes your brilliance even if she doesn't remember being taught that way. 

FWIW, I do this all the time where I bring something up as a great idea only to be told DH or one of my kids  (my autocorrect keeps making my plurals into possessives-grr!) suggested it in the past only to be shut down by me. It is a running joke in our house that the idea is only good if I think it up  (or if someone outside the family suggests it).

Edited by RootAnn
Autocorrect killed a kitten
  • Like 4

My ds was part of an integrated humanities honors program his freshman year. It was exactly what I’d wanted for his high school years but he fought me on. When we went to the interview weekend his senior year, he lit up and said, “Doesn’t  this sound wonderful!” Yes, son, yes it does—facepalm!

I could go on.  I’m glad you were prepared. I would have pulled out the timelines. Lol

And at least it was another adult. I get the most face palmy when my dd rejects my advice as ridiculous and then a week later is all about how a friend is so wise and has such great advice ( which happens to be the exact same advice I gave!!)

ok, you don’t need all my stories. Glad you could keep perspective!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, freesia said:

My ds was part of an integrated humanities honors program his freshman year. It was exactly what I’d wanted for his high school years but he fought me on. When we went to the interview weekend his senior year, he lit up and said, “Doesn’t  this sound wonderful!” Yes, son, yes it does—facepalm!

I could go on.  I’m glad you were prepared. I would have pulled out the timelines. Lol

And at least it was another adult. I get the most face palmy when my dd rejects my advice as ridiculous and then a week later is all about how a friend is so wise and has such great advice ( which happens to be the exact same advice I gave!!)

ok, you don’t need all my stories. Glad you could keep perspective!

Are you kidding? Y'all's stories are what keep me from putting everyone on the bus! I love stories. And I'm glad it's not just my brood. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Are you kidding? Y'all's stories are what keep me from putting everyone on the bus! I love stories. And I'm glad it's not just my brood. 

My dh says, remember it's all about autonomy.  They want to have their own ideas.  He encourages me to think--wow!look!  They are actually adopting my ideals, thinking that they are theirs just makes them feel independent..  So, it's a double bonus--they are acting independent, but affirming how wonderful we are.  (At least that's what I tell myself......)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A couple of weeks ago, my 13 year old DS was doing such a great job getting his work done. So I decided to take the opportunity to tell him that I was really impressed that he was getting his work done quickly and without complaining.  

With a totally straight face, he says: I realized that if I get my work done quicker, I can do the other things I want to do. 

I had to walk away before I said something like: Oh, is that how it works? Actually, I've been telling you that multiple times a day for 13 YEARS!!!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

You g adults are so fun. I have had 2 young adults explain to me about the importance of colour separation before washing.

And one ds ring me up to lecture me on the importance of using condoms. That was a  very interesting conversation. He was pretty intense. Called them "unwrap and cover" and wanted me to make sure all his siblings knew about them. (Um yes I even showed you where to buy them) 

• Haha 5

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." -- Mark Twain

Seems like a lot of us have young adult / adult children who have entered this same phase... 😂

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, scbusf said:

A couple of weeks ago, my 13 year old DS was doing such a great job getting his work done. So I decided to take the opportunity to tell him that I was really impressed that he was getting his work done quickly and without complaining.  

With a totally straight face, he says: I realized that if I get my work done quicker, I can do the other things I want to do. 

I had to walk away before I said something like: Oh, is that how it works? Actually, I've been telling you that multiple times a day for 13 YEARS!!!!

This was the first time I realized I was turning into my mother.

I was a freshman in high school.  It was a Friday.  Our bio 1 teacher had assigned some vocab before the end of the period, there were like 10 minutes left.  Everyone started throwing a fit, I started immediately searching through the text book and furiously copying definitions so as not to have weekend homework.  Finally, I got fed up with all the complaining and moaning and looked up at the person sitting across from me and said "If you would quit whining and just do the work, you would be almost be done by now."

And then I put my head down on my desk i shame lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

On 9/18/2019 at 9:23 PM, Lori D. said:

It was a toss up whether I should "like" you post with either the laughing or crying option -- wish there was a "gritting teeth with you" 😬 or wincing 😫 option... 😂

I read your post to DH, and he voted you should stack the timelines on her desk, because it will "save her time" in filling in those key dates and events for the Music History timeline -- she can just pull them from the timelines she did TWICE BEFORE... 😂

Agreeing with Lori. You really should do it!

These are great! I'm bookmarking for when mine do this.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 1

Had a conversation with my 18 year old 2 days ago.

He proceeds to explain a point in American History to me (his history teacher by background, homeschooling mother) ... I stop him and say "You dont need to explain X to me, I taught it to you." 

"No I learned it from Book and Video (that I assigned him during his sophomore year)"

Yup. I assigned those for no specific purpose, I'm so glad you could get ~something~ out of them, I didn't even realize that they were related to subject X. ~eye roll~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I experienced an early version of this recently. My older kids were along for the ride and a check up for baby, and the doctor was asking about school, then about homeschooling. I answered in the affirmative that I did have a background in education but went on to point out that it's more important to have the ability to adapt and try new things. For example, in my teaching days I never taught anyone to read, and now that's an important part of my life. He seemed to think that made sense. Later, he looked over and saw my 7 year old has taken out Harry Potter book 4 and was reading avidly from her place in the middle of the book. He did a double take and then told her, "I guess your mommy is a good reading teacher!" to which she replied, "No, I'm just a born reader."

• Like 2
  • Haha 7