Menu

Deleting or hiding an Amazon Gift Card

DoraBora

I used a gift card I received for my birthday to purchase a book.  A balance remains, and I'd like to save it for another book or something special rather than have it absorbed for all of the stuff my family orders.  

Does anyone know how to remove a gift card, or hide it?

(I know that I can choose to use the credit card on file for purchases, but the gift card is now the default setting.)

Edited by DoraBora

4 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Could you buy yourself another gift card with the balance, and then save the new gift card until you are ready to use it? 

Hmmm.  Maybe I could.

Really, I could just use the amount later.  I guess it doesn't matter where it comes from -- I'm making too much of this.  😊  It surprises me that a gift card becomes the default setting for payment, and that you can't change that.

Thank you both for your replies.

20 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

If you don’t do one click, you can uncheck using a gift card balance during check out. 

True.  My family won't remember.

It doesn't really matter.  I can buy what I want to buy with a credit card if the gift card balance is spent.  I just think it odd that amazon doesn't enable you to "hide" a gift card or set the default payment to the credit card on file.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to do it. I prefer to have an Amazon balance for low charges rather than having an impossible to reconcile credit card statement, but invariably, someone goofs and the balance ends up used for cat litter or something.