Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

What's your favorite thing to teach?

Grammar because it's so logical and laid out and I'm a geek about diagramming and history because there is so much world history I had no idea about until we started homeschooling

• Like 4

Maths. I always liked maths in school but was never encouraged that way. Teaching it conceptually is so much fun and so clear.

• Like 3

I think it's a toss-up between writing and history. Writing because I just love seeing their progress, and history because I find it so interesting (I think I like it more than my kids).

• Like 2

As a subject, writing. Hands down.

But as a class, because I've prepped for it before... basic middle school math up through Algebra I. Coming from doing humanities class preps, I couldn't get over how easy doing a math class prep was. So much easier than getting a bunch of activities and fun things ready for a history class, that's for sure. You just have your bag of tricks and games and a good textbook and use it all. So simple.

• Like 2

History? Question mark because I don’t actually teach it because I was never really taught it myself. (I mean, the standard dry, names-and-dates, Great White Men and no one else version, but not anything that actually involved anything of interest.) I’m constantly surprised at how much I like learning it alongside my daughter!

• Like 2

If I had to pick just one, it'd be mathematics. But if I can list the things that I like to teach it's Mathematics, Spanish language, study skills and technology.

• Like 2

Another Literature person.

But... I also thoroughly enjoyed exploring and simultaneously learning with DSs esp. in grades 1-8 with informal Science and Geography/Cultural and History studies...

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Another Literature person.

But... I also thoroughly enjoyed exploring and simultaneously learning with DSs esp. in grades 1-8 with informal Science and Geography/Cultural and History studies...

This is how I feel. It's more the stuff I'm not *teaching*, but learning right along with them that I enjoy the most. (And I think that's been about every topic at one point or another!!!) 

Writing has been my most stressful, although as a student it was my personal favorite and I thought I'd enjoy it more as a teacher, but nope. Not a bit. The age appropriate expectations were really hard for me coming out of my profession- I was clueless and had WAY to high of a bar, so without IEW and then outsourcing I'd have been lost with the guinea pig oldest. And I honestly don't consider that I taught IEW. Mr. Pudewa taught IEW. I simply proctored. 

• Like 2

I can't believe I"m the first person to say Science.  I love it so much I teach 15 classes a week to homeschoolers.  

I like Math too but only through Pre-Calc.

• Like 2

Ancient History/Classics

If you didn't have to follow up regularly with skills practice then math might win as my favorite subject to teach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I can't believe I"m the first person to say Science.  I love it so much I teach 15 classes a week to homeschoolers.  

I don't particularly like teaching science or math, but I guess the fact that my kids all love math and 4 of my adult kids have chosen science/health fields means that I do a pretty good job of not conveying those sentiments to my kids.

• Haha 5

I love teaching history, lit, and grammar.  To the younger and the older ones.

I like learning science along with the younger ones. 

I really like geometry (especially proofs), but I had a hard time teaching it to my older ones.  Hopefully my next batch of kids and I will do better together.

I wish an Algebra 2 teacher would drop down out of the sky right now.¬† ūüôā¬† The high school boys and I are having a bumpy ride.¬† Blind leading the blind here. ūüėȬ† I did take Algebra 2 in high school (and passed!), but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away.

• Like 2

Grammar and elementary/middle school math.

I like teaching some style and mechanics sorts of things for writing, but I hate teaching composition at all. 

I would like to teach most science if I had a room where all the science stuff would magically set itself up and put itself away. 

My kids prefer to just read their history, but we do listen to podcasts (Stuff You Missed in History) or watch some documentaries--it's an enjoyable subject for all of us, but we don't seem to enjoy it together as a class all in the same way. 

• Like 5

I'm sure when I no longer have babies in the house my preferences will change. Right now whatever I can do sitting down without having to put energy into engaging my students wins out.

• Like 3

Phonics! Nothing has been as magical as watching my boys learn to read! Luckily no one struggled or I might feel differently, but it has been the most rewarding subject.

When I first started homeschool, I couldn't believe I'd be able to teach my kids to read.  I had no memory of learning to read?? I am particularly blown away by my second son.  We are doing abeka phonics and he is just learning the special sounds all on his own before we even come to them in a lesson.  LOVE IT.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, kbutton said:

I would like to teach most science if I had a room where all the science stuff would magically set itself up and put itself away. 

Yes!!! I do like teaching elementary science, but it's probably my 3rd fave.

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Phonics! Nothing has been as magical as watching my boys learn to read! Luckily no one struggled or I might feel differently, but it has been the most rewarding subject.

When I first started homeschool, I couldn't believe I'd be able to teach my kids to read.  I had no memory of learning to read?? I am particularly blown away by my second son.  We are doing abeka phonics and he is just learning the special sounds all on his own before we even come to them in a lesson.  LOVE IT.

Ha! I wanted to poke my eyes out with a stick listening to C ... A ... T ... over and over and over again with every.single. CVC word until it sunk in LOL I'm glad some people like it and I agree that the end result is rewarding, but getting there is not so fun for me

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

My kids *did* struggle with learning to read, and teaching them to read (and spell, and read/write/spell cursive) has been very rewarding, in part *because* of how hard we all had to work.  It's been hard and sometimes frustrating, but never boring.  Teaching them to read and write has been a very creative act.

24 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

Ha! I wanted to poke my eyes out with a stick listening to C ... A ... T ... over and over and over again with every.single. CVC word until it sunk in LOL I'm glad some people like it and I agree that the end result is rewarding, but getting there is not so fun for me

Ha, it took so. much. work. just to get my kids to where they *could* successfully sound out CVC words that I was too darn thrilled they *were* sounding things out to get bored with it, lol.

~*~

Math's the easiest, most consistent thing I teach.  If all else fails, we at least get math done.  And I enjoy it.  But teaching the kids how to read (and write) is in some way the most rewarding, because it was so hard and required so much of all of us - I'm darn proud of our success there.

• Like 4

#1  math using AoPS, all levels.  I also love prepping kids for MathCounts and AMCs.

I loved elementary and middle school science, but the prep took a huge amount of time.

Theoretically teaching foreign language looks like so much fun.  Unfortunately I don't really have a foreign language I can teach.  

• Like 2

All of it lol! The only thing that kinda gets monotonous to me and I'm just ready to get it done is when they just kinda seem to linger in that not quite reading independently stage for longer than I'd like. Most of my kids breezed right through and were eager to read independently but a couple of them, including my youngest that I'm currently teaching to read, just seem to stand teetering on the edge of independent reading and take their sweet time making that last leap into reading anything they want to read. I know he will get there in his own time, all the others did but geez this stage is so frustrating when you know they can do it and they just seem to take an extra long time to gather up their confidence lol.

Edited by sweet2ndchance
Stupid autocorrect hates me today
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, forty-two said:

My kids *did* struggle with learning to read, and teaching them to read (and spell, and read/write/spell cursive) has been very rewarding, in part *because* of how hard we all had to work.  It's been hard and sometimes frustrating, but never boring.  Teaching them to read and write has been a very creative act.

Ha, it took so. much. work. just to get my kids to where they *could* successfully sound out CVC words that I was too darn thrilled they *were* sounding things out to get bored with it, lol.

~*~

Math's the easiest, most consistent thing I teach.  If all else fails, we at least get math done.  And I enjoy it.  But teaching the kids how to read (and write) is in some way the most rewarding, because it was so hard and required so much of all of us - I'm darn proud of our success there.

Ok, I can see how it would be rewarding if your kids struggle and then succeeded.  I could see this happening with my 3rd or 4th kids, but with my first son I had ZERO confidence in my ability to teach him.  I was so stressed out. If he struggled,  I would have been sure it was all my fault and he would have been on the big yellow bus so quick.  lol I'm so blessed he caught on or I would have panicked. I see exactly what you are saying, but definitely would not have been my experience with my first guys.  

• Like 1

I love teaching math since it’s the thing I’m best equipped for.

But I’ve also loved teaching reading. I’ve been blessed with kids who can do 100 Easy Lessons between 3 and 4, which makes the lessons fairly stress-free (there’s no rush!)  

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 9:24 PM, Where's Toto? said:

Well I thought she meant 1 favourite thing, not all the favourites like you posters who cheat and give more than one answer! ūüėČūüėĄ

Science would be #2. I run a science coop and we have a ball!

Never ever would my school teachers have thought I'd love teaching maths or science, I was very much a typical humanities girl.

Probably most of elementary education would be my 3rd favourite. 5-12 year olds are wonderful to work with. 

• Haha 1

Nobody has yet mentioned my favorite:  Classical music appreciation.  I teach it formally about once a month at our co-op, but informally at home.  I love it!

Teaching any subject is fun, though.  Count me as another mom who enjoys learning right along with her kids.

• Like 3

Music, Science and history...

ūüôā

And everything else really 

Edited by 7sons
  • Like 1

Writing and literature for sure!

I teach both at our co-op, at a private school, and online (high school level). I teach just writing to two online classes (middle school and upper elementary) as well. I love it so much!

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 4:55 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Title says it all. ūüôā

LITERATURE! 

Followed closely behind by history. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 2:19 PM, Elizabeth86 said:

I'll agree with you that it is ABSOLUTELY incredible to make that journey with your children. It's even MORE rewarding when they struggle, once you can look back and say, "Look what we did!"  

But --- for me, phonics is not enjoyable. Kind of like pulling out my eyebrows v.e.r.y. s.l.o.w.ly.¬†ūüėā

• Like 1

Anything where we are on the couch with a read aloud. ¬†ūüėā I guess that would be science and literature in my house! ¬†

I also love teaching foreign languages.  

• Like 1

In co-ops- Latin. I've done it so much, like PP above, it doesn't take a lit of prep forme, and I have a system down, and I enjoy it. 

At home,cwith my five year old, everything. She lives it all. 

With my high schoolers, the things I can learn along with them, which is usually literature and history and art. I outsource math. I like exploring science, but not upper levels of science like chemistry. I like biology I guess. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 2:33 AM, Gil said:

If I had to pick just one, it'd be mathematics. But if I can list the things that I like to teach it's Mathematics, Spanish language, study skills and technology.

I would love to hear your approach for teaching study skills.

• Like 1

Math. ¬†Actually,¬†science but in the elementary years my ‚Äúteaching‚ÄĚ is much more organic. For a sit down lesson my favorite would be math.

Well, so far this year: Spanish. We're learning together and we're motivated (for the first time ever -- up until now we're foreign language failures). I have high hopes!