Menu

Dr. Hive: does anyone have kidney/ureteral stent along with pyeloplasty surgery advice?

aaplank

A few weeks ago I was having a lot of pain in my right kidney and after several tests and procedures it was determined that I have hydronephrosis and hydroureter due to a stricture of the UPJ. 

They put in a stent to drain the backup in my kidney, and it has relieved the hydronephrosis, but it has been more painful and problematic than I thought. I can't do more than lay around all day. Is this normal?

I'm seeing a surgeon tomorrow who will be discussing the pyeloplasty procedure. Does anyone have any BTDT advice or specific questions I could ask? There might be a little snafu for having the procedure because I have a pretty significant ventral wall hernia about 4 inches above my belly button. I think they need to access this area in order to do the laparoscopic surgery?

I would appreciate any help, prayers or advice you can give. Thanks

Amy

Hi, I have a similar issue. My left ureter is completely blocked. I had a stent in 2017 and developed “stent colic.” I had a significant amount of pain from the stent and never really got comfortable with it.

After 2.5 mos my urologist declared I wasn’t a good stent candidate and removed the stent. He said some people feel discomfort initially but after a month or so it gets better. He said another option would be to change out the stent and, in doing so, it may reduce the pain.

I am sorry you’re having pain, I remember it well. Best of luck 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ryan the Girl said:

Hi, I have a similar issue. My left ureter is completely blocked. I had a stent in 2017 and developed “stent colic.” I had a significant amount of pain from the stent and never really got comfortable with it.

After 2.5 mos my urologist declared I wasn’t a good stent candidate and removed the stent. He said some people feel discomfort initially but after a month or so it gets better. He said another option would be to change out the stent and, in doing so, it may reduce the pain.

I am sorry you’re having pain, I remember it well. Best of luck 

Your feedback is so helpful! Thank you! I don't know anyone IRL that has had this issue  It's good to know that my pain is normal and I'm not being dramatic. 

If you don't feel comfortable answering, or would rather pm me, I understand, but I don't understand why the doctor would place a long term stent and not do surgery?  Is it okay to just live with a blocked ureter?  Do you have complications from it?