Menu

What's with the ads?

Servant4Christ

Switch or Modify?

We are currently using CLE social studies grade 4 and R&S science 4 and BOTH are covering weather and climate right now.... literally the exact same info! I usually am all for subjects confirming material from other subjects but there just aren't enough hours in a day for all our work this year!

Would you switch to R&S social studies 4 or just modify the CLE?

Note: I'm in a conundrum with other subjects too but will create other posts with specific questions per subject.

Just skip the redundant material.  If there are questions from one that you want to cover, do them orally and call it good.  When they branch off, do both again.

• Like 2

Thanks. I think I'm just frustrated with how long schoolwork is taking each day so we never seem to have time to slow down and enjoy it. DS is a full grade ahead in curriculum right now in all subjects but there seems to be a big leap this year in the amount of written answers required. It's been less than a month, though, so maybe we just aren't fully back in the swing of things. I think we'll just ditch the workbooks and discuss the textbook questions orally like we do in science. Maybe that'll lighten the writing load.

• Like 1

That is one problem with grade acceleration—there are two areas developing—fine motor and thinking ability. They are not always aligned so it is common for advanced children to be ready for advanced material before they are capable of the output. Think of it as two separate strands. Your dc does not have to be operating at the same level of both.  

My solution would be to do the questions orally or adjust the written output to your dc’s level. Science and social studies aren’t really graded—it’s quite arbitrary when you study what.

Chose one or the other curriculum to study weather—again it’s obviously arbitrary how they chose to cover it.  Skip in one and either just do one of the subjects for awhile( if you are feeling overwhelmed by work) or move ahead in social studies.

14 minutes ago, freesia said:

That is one problem with grade acceleration—there are two areas developing—fine motor and thinking ability. They are not always aligned so it is common for advanced children to be ready for advanced material before they are capable of the output. Think of it as two separate strands. Your dc does not have to be operating at the same level of both.  

My solution would be to do the questions orally or adjust the written output to your dc’s level. Science and social studies aren’t really graded—it’s quite arbitrary when you study what.

Thanks. You pretty much just summed up where our problem began and still currently resides across the board. I didn't mean for DS to be accelerated but at the time he was compulsory age, he already knew most of our grade 1 curriculum. Thus, we skipped kindergarten. But now, in grade 4 curriculum at 8.5yrs, written output is not what you would expect of any 4th grader. We do questions orally for science and a written test at the end of each unit so I'll probably just do the same in social studies.

37 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thanks. You pretty much just summed up where our problem began and still currently resides across the board. I didn't mean for DS to be accelerated but at the time he was compulsory age, he already knew most of our grade 1 curriculum. Thus, we skipped kindergarten. But now, in grade 4 curriculum at 8.5yrs, written output is not what you would expect of any 4th grader. We do questions orally for science and a written test at the end of each unit so I'll probably just do the same in social studies.

You don't have to do grade 4 curriculum.  Seriously.  You can do what you want and modify it to his abilities.
My 4th grader does non-grade level math.  In fact, the curriculum I switched him to only has 6 books total through introductory algebra & geometry.  We can go as fast or as slow as needed.
He does a language arts program that works with his output ability but is challenging in other ways.
He does history and science at his level, and a lot of days there is no writing at all for these subjects, but there are interactive notebook pages, activities, and drawings.

Don't hem yourself in.  If leveled curriculum isn't working for you, ditch it and do something that does work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Just skip the redundant material.  If there are questions from one that you want to cover, do them orally and call it good.  When they branch off, do both again.

This is what I would do. I also agree with all the previous posts about doing questions orally and adjusting as needed, especially since he is ahead.

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

The problem should sort itself out soon.  My oldest was very like this.  I didn't use much graded curriculum with him in the content areas bc we were more literature based in our approach.  I didn't find any benefit from my children answering questions in writing before about 7th grade.   For science and social studies, you could easily put the graded stuff on hold and do your own thing this year (state history, for example, and interest led for science) and just pick up next year with the graded.  Accelerated doesn't mean anything in these subjects before high school (and if your plan is to have him start high school science in middle school, there's nothing you absolutely have to have covered before then other than a general overview which most graded curriculum do each year.

If he's having trouble with language arts output, as well, and your intention is to stay with the graded, you could easily take a year off grammar and get pentime for penmanship (I don't know what I'd do for spelling.)

Like I said, it will all sort itself out in a year or two anyway.  Don't be afraid to adapt your curriculum to your and your child's needs. 

I would just drop the social studies completely... what else does it even cover? 

Okay just looked at the scope and sequences and see that the cle is like geography. If I wanted to keep using both but just wanted to avoid doubling up, I would probably just skip the weather unit in r&s science. Or, you could alternate days, you don't have to do everything every day especially if your child is accelerated.

4 hours ago, freesia said:

The problem should sort itself out soon.  My oldest was very like this.  I didn't use much graded curriculum with him in the content areas bc we were more literature based in our approach.  I didn't find any benefit from my children answering questions in writing before about 7th grade.   For science and social studies, you could easily put the graded stuff on hold and do your own thing this year (state history, for example, and interest led for science) and just pick up next year with the graded.  Accelerated doesn't mean anything in these subjects before high school (and if your plan is to have him start high school science in middle school, there's nothing you absolutely have to have covered before then other than a general overview which most graded curriculum do each year.

If he's having trouble with language arts output, as well, and your intention is to stay with the graded, you could easily take a year off grammar and get pentime for penmanship (I don't know what I'd do for spelling.)

Like I said, it will all sort itself out in a year or two anyway.  Don't be afraid to adapt your curriculum to your and your child's needs. 

Grammar is great and goes well. As for penmanship, I taught him D'Nealian so as long as his handwriting is good, I don't push the CLE penmanship. Creative writing, though, is a problem. Getting him to write a paragraph, though he knows how, even with notes is a nightmare. He's the type that no matter the subject, will literally spend more time trying to condense a sentence into two words than what it would take him to write the sentence twice!

Edited by Servant4Christ

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Grammar is great and goes well. As for penmanship, I taught him D'Nealian so as long as his handwriting is good, I don't push the CLE penmanship. Creative writing, though, is a problem. Getting him to write a paragraph, though he knows how, even with notes is a nightmare. He's the type that no matter the subject, will literally spend more time trying to condense a sentence into two words than what it would take him to write the sentence twice!

I wouldn't worry about it at all.  The paragraph will come.  He's 8 or 9, right?  My ds was falling to the ground crying at the thought of any writing at that age (and I was way low pressure--really--I was the public school teacher who inspired kids to love writing.  My own ds, not so much.)  By high school he was thriving in AP humanities programs, got a 5 on the AP English lang test, and is part of the humanities honors program in his college with straight A's.  Just keep working on the sentences and don't worry about the paragraphs. If he is third grade age, I would guess by fifth grade age you will see a huge, huge jump in growth and ability.(And my favorite program for kids like that is IEW. Condensing sentences is actually a great skill--conciseness.  You can focus with him on choosing the best two words.  Actually challenge him--what is the shortest sentence you can write that creates the clearest picture in my head?)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, freesia said:

Condensing sentences is actually a great skill--conciseness.  You can focus with him on choosing the best two words.  Actually challenge him--what is the shortest sentence you can write that creates the clearest picture in my head?)

Thank you! I never would've thought of that! 

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

I like giving DS options when possible and allow him to make decisions. So after discussing social studies, DS says he prefers us just reading and answering the daily comprehension questions and taking the end of chapter tests (open-book) so we're scraping the workbooks.

In language arts, the part that gets me is that DS understands "how" and if I'm the one writing, he can form decent notes, sentences, and paragraphs. There is no lack of understanding here. The willingness to write it down himself, though, is a whole different story. I guess I'll have a better idea of where he's at when he has his first creative writing assignment next week.

On a positive note: he asked if we can do some more practice in cursive today 😀

Nice update. 

I would say he’s not ready to do the writing down part. If he can do it orally, great. But you’d lose nothing by switching to doing freewriting or having him just write sentences, or even just do copy work.  When the fine motor is more developed he’ll write.  Do it orally if you want or I would put it aside for awhile.

• Like 1