Menu

Scholarship thank you letter protocol?

teachermom2834

My college ds was awarded a scholarship from his employer. He works for a minor league baseball team. The GM of his team chose him to apply and then the scholarship came from the league. He is going to write thank you notes to the GM and the league but I'm not sure what accepted practice is. Is this a hand written note card kind of thing or a professional letter (typed and in a business size envelope)? 

Seems like the personal notecard is too informal. Is it okay to write a typewritten letter and handle it as more of a professional correspondence? 

Thank you for your help. I feel like it is a dumb question but we are very etiquette challenged around here. 

Ds plans to continue his employment in the field after graduation so these are professional contacts that likely will come into play in the future. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

My college ds was awarded a scholarship from his employer. He works for a minor league baseball team. The GM of his team chose him to apply and then the scholarship came from the league. He is going to write thank you notes to the GM and the league but I'm not sure what accepted practice is. Is this a hand written note card kind of thing or a professional letter (typed and in a business size envelope)? 

Seems like the personal notecard is too informal. Is it okay to write a typewritten letter and handle it as more of a professional correspondence? 

Thank you for your help. I feel like it is a dumb question but we are very etiquette challenged around here. 

Ds plans to continue his employment in the field after graduation so these are professional contacts that likely will come into play in the future. 

First off, how wonderful that he is writing thank you notes!

I think hand written for both would be perfectly fine and would be appreciated.  If he is self conscious about his handwriting, then a typed thank you note to the league would be ok.  I might still do a hand written letter for the GM, since that is someone he knows personally.  Hand-written isn't too informal.

One thing that I sometimes see is people who have smaller sized stationary (about half sheet size, but oriented with the longest edge running top to bottom) that they use in a printer to create a note for thanks or congratulations. They are hand signed, with sometimes a one line additional note at the bottom.  It can feel awkward to have a full sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper with only a couple sentences. The smaller stationary or a notecard is a good size for these basic thank you's.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1