Menu

Kids fly free to Europe returns

mommyoffive

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

to Europe.

Clue me in, what does this help us do? It's saying I can fly from NYC to Copenhagen, Oslo, or Stockholm. Then what? LOL

And is that a really sucky, cold time of year in those places? Where are you going once you get there? 

I've been looking into cruising Europe, but the only part I've looked at is the mediterranean. My ds has ASD, so I need something he's used to. He can fly and cruise, but hotel hopping would be rough. But yeah, it's kind of intriguing if it connects us to something we could do!

Edited by PeterPan

5 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Clue me in, what does this help us do? It's saying I can fly from NYC to Copenhagen, Oslo, or Stockholm. Then what? LOL

And is that a really sucky, cold time of year in those places? Where are you going once you get there? 

I've been looking into cruising Europe, but the only part I've looked at is the mediterranean. My ds has ASD, so I need something he's used to. He can fly and cruise, but hotel hopping would be rough. But yeah, it's kind of intriguing if it connects us to something we could do!

No, it's a great time of year. No tourists. The weather is mild in the fall and early spring, or you can do some skiing in Norway or Sweden from Jan - Mar. I wish my dc were younger. I'm so sad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PeterPan said:

It the perfect time of year to do a Northern Lights cruise! That is item #1 on my bucket list, and when I first clicked on the link I got all excited — and then I realized I don't actually have any kids under 11. 😅  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I was actually wondering about the mechanics of oxygen masks and evacuation. As far as I remember, on the airlines I used to take, you had to have one adult per under-2yo. I'm surprised that there aren't rules for slightly older children.

You can only have one lap child (under two without their own seat) per row because there are only 4 oxygen masks in a row. But If you buy them seats you can fly with multiple kids under two. I have a friend who just flew home (cross country) with 3 under two (one is almost two, twin babies)- she had one lap baby and then bought three seats and the 4 of them sat in one row together. Another friend of mine does a 12 hour flight alone with her 6 (under 10) every summer. I once booked a last minute cross country flight for my 3 kids and I, and when I went to select seats there weren’t any together. I called and they best they could do was 2 groups of 2. So I sat with the baby (who always flys in his own seat, we don’t do laps) and my other two (who were 4 and 9 year at the time) sat together elsewhere. I’ve flow to Europe with the kids, and due to a stupid mix up, I ended up with the little ones and my daughter (7 or 8 at the time) ended up sitting alone- the airline didn’t care- as in we tried to get them to move her near us and they err like too bad, it’s a full flight, she will be fine. It’s good for people to know there are no restrictions because I’ve known/seen so many parents book basic economy tickets (the ones where you don’t get to pick your seat) to save money assuming that since they were flying with kids the airlines would have to put them together and they won’t usually do it. I have sat there and watched the gate agents tell parents that their only option is to deal with being apart or to not get on the plane. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PeterPan said:

There were some great suggestions here.  Some love traveling to the snow for ski or other winter sports.

But when we do it we have flown on to other parts cheap.  Head down south and get some warm weather.  I was looking at this to go to Paris, as one of my kids really wants to go.  It was a 22 dollar flight.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, PeterPan said:

Just saw this article this morning with some good ideas. 

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/scandinavian-vacation-ideas/?tid=bottom_07&utm_uniqid=c7405a13dc&utm_source=TPG+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=893b1beb68-TPG_Curated_Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2b0b8ee2b7-893b1beb68-44673361

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2019 at 5:04 PM, wintermom said:

No, it's a great time of year. No tourists. The weather is mild in the fall and early spring, or you can do some skiing in Norway or Sweden from Jan - Mar. I wish my dc were younger. I'm so sad.

Ugh. It sucks to be tied to the school calendar now. I would totally take my kids. The prices for kids 12+ are still 50% off the adult cost.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Do they have any breaks that work?  A long weekend and tack on some days?  Thanksgiving?  Spring break? 

I thought about trying it over President's day or MLK weekend but DD's school uses a 4x4 block schedule so missing one day is like missing two. For Thanksgiving we have family that want to come to our house and spring break isn't until April. :( Depressing. If they offer it during the late summer I'd be all over it.

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

I thought about trying it over President's day or MLK weekend but DD's school uses a 4x4 block schedule so missing one day is like missing two. For Thanksgiving we have family that want to come to our house and spring break isn't until April. 😞 Depressing. If they offer it during the late summer I'd be all over it.

They normally do it over late summer too.  They didn't this year because their pilots were on strike.  I was super bummed as we were going to use it to go to Europe over summer.  

• Thanks 1