Menu

Sending gifts to my kid in France

Ginevra

Kareni suggested this in my other thread and I agree it is a good idea. It would be so nice if I could have some little care packages or small gifts ordered and shipped to where she’s staying in Reims. I know there is an Amazon.fr, but I don’t think that’s he best option; she used it before and it is not like US Amazon. 

Ideas appreciated. 

• Like 2

I’ve ordered from Amazon France for delivery to the US, and in my experience it is exactly like Amazon.

Here is their gift guide for women:

https://www.amazon.fr/gcx/Cadeaux-pour-Femmes/

Here is a trick that works well for books or music, or anything that will be listed on both sites. Find the item you want on Amazon.com.  Go into the URL and change the “.com” to “.fr” and voila!  It will take you to the same item on the France site.  (You can do this with all the Amazon sites. If they have the same item, just changing the domain will take you to the item on the other site.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I’ve ordered from Amazon France for delivery to the US, and in my experience it is exactly like Amazon.

Here is their gift guide for women:

https://www.amazon.fr/gcx/Cadeaux-pour-Femmes/

Here is a trick that works well for books or music, or anything that will be listed on both sites. Find the item you want on Amazon.com.  Go into the URL and change the “.com” to “.fr” and voila!  It will take you to the same item on the France site.  (You can do this with all the Amazon sites. If they have the same item, just changing the domain will take you to the item on the other site.)

This is a great idea.  Don't be surprised if, after visiting the French site, your computer defaults to the .fr site for awhile.  That happened to me when I visited the Japanese DoTERRA site (I wanted to send some DoT stuff to our former exchange student).  After a few times of manually entering the .com ending, it defaulted back to the US site.

• Like 2

Amazon.fr has been great here but all the major stores, like Monoprix (which is like a Target with better clothes I guess)? have home delivery too. I haven’t personally tried bc I love grocery shopping but I’ve heard the moms talk about it. FNAC is a major bookstore place here, I think they also have online delivery. 

• Like 2

I don't have anything useful to add, because I rarely send anything to my overseas son. I make up a small box of inexpensive items for his birthday and Christmas, and that is usually the extent of it.

I do keep it to inexpensive items, because, as xahm noted, he would end up having to pay a steep price to get the package released from customs.

• Like 2

I wonder if there are companies that receive packages  (in the USA) to be delivered to customers in France?  We  have a service like that. We have things shipped to them in Miami and then they Consolidate for us and send them to Colombia, get them through Customs (usually in during the morning and out late in the afternoon) and then they send them to our house. We prepay the  Colombian taxes due, if any, when we prepay them for the shipment, so there are no surprises.

Here in Colombia, some things come in without any taxes (Low end Laptops and some other things that I can't remember) and some things (cell phones among other items?) are prohibited.

So, always best to check, before buying something and having it sent...

Colombian taxes (Duty and VAT tax) on what we bring in range from a minimum of zero percent to a maximum of 29%. 

If there is a service like that, for people who live in France, that would be the easiest way and possibly the least expensive way. There are tons of flights, passenger and cargo, from the USA to France, so there is a lot of "lift" and hopefully the cargo rates are low, as they are from the USA to Colombia. (From Colombia to the USA is NOT cheap, because they are carrying Flowers and other perishable items)

• Thanks 1