Menu

Math Tutoring Fee: how much do you charge?

JadeOrchidSong

Hi, I have been away from the board for a long time. Now ds16 is doing PSEO and I only need to teach him Mandarin and health at home. Ds14 decided he was done with homeschooling and is now at a very good private high school. 

A neighbor's son asked me to tutor him for algebra. He graduated hig school 2 years ago and would like to go to college to study sports medicine. He has a regular job and makes money. I will tutor him 3 times a week for two months probably. So how much should I charge each 80 minute lesson? I live in St. Paul, MN, by the way. I enjoy tutoring math and I found today that he responds very well to my teaching. He has forgotten how to do multiplication. I feel very confident being a tutor, especially after teaching ds16 precalculus this past summer intensively, and of course over all the 11 homeshooling years. 

Thanks for your input! 

• Like 2

If I tried to charge $30-65 per hour I 'may' get an occasional client-- but no repeat business.  I live in a small town just outside a big city.  There is one part of the big city where tutors get paid big $$ but they also deal with spoiled 'rich kids' who don't care...plus I'd have to commute an hour each way...

If it was my neighbor I would probably have an idea of what they could afford...around here I'd probably go with $60-75 per week if he was a motivated student and I had limited prep.

$140 per week (4 hours at $35 per hr) for 4 weeks is $560... for that here you can take a 16 week remedial math class at the local CC and have access to unlimited one-on-one tutoring at the CC math center between classes... I'd look at what your local CC would charge...

I work 20+ hours per week. I am a reasonably high-end tutor, so make sure that I make a top teacher's annual salary in the 20 hours per week that I work (with the same holidays). So they make $60K per year; and I make 60k/year.  The way I see it, I have only after school hours to work (which are obviously limited), so they are paying to have me not working another job. So in NZ, this comes out at $70/hour, but I also charge for noncontact hours (typically 12 hours per year). My students typically stay with me for 3 years.  For 11th and 12th graders, I require 2 hours per week or they can go find another tutor.

Ruth in NZ 

• Like 1