Menu

My girlie flies out today for France

Ginevra

She is teaching in France for seven months. We had our “last supper” last night here: steak and shrimp, asparagus with shaved parmesan, a beautiful garden salad with more shaved parmesan. Her bf - our “extra son” - was here. 

I’m happy for her, but I will miss her, too. This is the first Christmas she will ever spend away. I bought her two early Christmas gifts - a down parka that packs down into a little pocket and a pair of duck boots, which are meant to be her main shoes because they will weather anything. 

I may go visit as I did last time she was there, but it wouldn’t be until spring. 

• Like 19

She will be fine. If she has not already done so, PLEASE have her register with the ACS (American Citizen Services) in the U.S. Embassy in Paris. She can probably do that on their web site, or it will link to the  State Department web site in  Washington DC and she will register there. If she has an existing account, add this trip, if not, set up an account and then the information for this trip.

If they send email or text warnings, she needs to read them very carefully and comply with their suggestions. Here, it's very rare that the ACS sends something, but if they do, I read them very carefully. Usually, they have to do with demonstrations or protests.  Those can begin with the intention of being peaceful, but it only takes a few people to turn them into a violent event, so the ACS suggests staying away from any demonstrations.

I am curious about the "Duck Boots".  If you have a link, please post as we might want to buy a pair of those for our DD. Your description makes them sound very practical...

DD took my  Red LL Bean Down Parka, which will come in handy for someone who was born and raised in a Tropical Valley. That you bought one that can fold into a tiny package is interesting. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, wow I hadn't realized you wold miss Christmas with her. That is hard, but still, how exciting for her! I'm sure she will Skype or FaceTime or whatever with you on Christmas at least, and share with you all the Christmas traditions over there. And I love your presents for her, they sound perfect. 

• Like 2

@Lanny The boots are very similar to this, though I think they are a different brand. https://www.macys.com/shop/product/sperry-womens-saltwater-duck-booties?ID=8268116&CategoryID=72094#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D16%26ruleId%3D78%26searchPass%3DmatchNone%26slotId%3D5 There are many color iterations and you can get them as tall, medium or short boot styles. 

This is what the coat is like.

Edited by Quill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

She will be fine. If she has not already done so, PLEASE have her register with the ACS (American Citizen Services) in the U.S. Embassy in Paris. She can probably do that on their web site, or it will link to the  State Department web site in  Washington DC and she will register there. If she has an existing account, add this trip, if not, set up an account and then the information for this trip.

If they send email or text warnings, she needs to read them very carefully and comply with their suggestions. Here, it's very rare that the ACS sends something, but if they do, I read them very carefully. Usually, they have to do with demonstrations or protests.  Those can begin with the intention of being peaceful, but it only takes a few people to turn them into a violent event, so the ACS suggests staying away from any demonstrations.

I am curious about the "Duck Boots".  If you have a link, please post as we might want to buy a pair of those for our DD. Your description makes them sound very practical...

DD took my  Red LL Bean Down Parka, which will come in handy for someone who was born and raised in a Tropical Valley. That you bought one that can fold into a tiny package is interesting. 

The most famous (and I think original) duck boots are from LL Bean.  Do not get the non-insulated ones for a cold climate through.  No matter how many layers of wool socks she wears they'll suck the heat right out of her feet if those boots are anywhere near slush or snow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WhatsApp is our primary method of communicating with DD.  Especially between DD and DW.

I prefer email, but  there are also a lot of short Voice or Text messages on WhatsApp that I participate in.

If one doesn't already have WhatsApp installed (our HOA uses WhatsApp, so there's no way they will switch to another messaging service) there is something called Signal Private Messenger that is a better way to go. https://signal.org/ What's App is now  owned by Facebook and they are going to integrate it with Messenger and Instagram. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lanny said:

WhatsApp is our primary method of communicating with DD.  Especially between DD and DW.

I prefer email, but  there are also a lot of short Voice or Text messages on WhatsApp that I participate in.

If one doesn't already have WhatsApp installed (our HOA uses WhatsApp, so there's no way they will switch to another messaging service) there is something called Signal Private Messenger that is a better way to go. https://signal.org/ What's App is now  owned by Facebook and they are going to integrate it with Messenger and Instagram. 

Yes, I just got WhatsApp a few weeks ago. She used that last time to communicate with her bf and friends. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quill said:

Yes, I just got WhatsApp a few weeks ago. She used that last time to communicate with her bf and friends. 

WhatsApp is very cool and is incredibly popular outside the USA.  My issue with it is that it is now owned by Facebook and they are going to integrate it with other apps (Messenger and Instagram) and put advertising on it.

That said, it is the *only* app on what I call the Home page of my Android phone. That may be what Google calls it too.   So, of all the apps on my phone (51 but I think most were installed in the Motorola factory) WhatsApp is the app I use the most.

Possibly by accident, after she got to Carolina, my DD initiated a Video Chat, which was nice. There are a lot of photos coming our way and an occasional video.

Having WhatsApp or something like it makes being apart much easier.  I can't imagine how much harder it was for families whose DC went to a school far away, or for military families, before the Internet and these apps. 

• Like 3

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time in France.

My daughter has been teaching English in South Korea; she's in year six now.

One company which we've come to appreciate is Book Depository; they have FREE worldwide shipping. In addition to books, they also have a selection of calendars, stationery, and games.  We also send my daughter Kindle books, but it's fun to have a few packages to open on Christmas and birthdays. 

iHerb.com is another company we've come to appreciate as it enables us to send a variety of foods and toiletries to our daughter; they have a very low shipping fee to South Korea. You might look to see if the same is true for France; their shipping costs vary wildly from country to country.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time in France.

My daughter has been teaching English in South Korea; she's in year six now.

One company which we've come to appreciate is Book Depository; they have FREE worldwide shipping. In addition to books, they also have a selection of calendars, stationery, and games.  We also send my daughter Kindle books, but it's fun to have a few packages to open on Christmas and birthdays. 

iHerb.com is another company we've come to appreciate as it enables us to send a variety of foods and toiletries to our daughter; they have a very low shipping fee to South Korea. You might look to see if the same is true for France; their shipping costs vary wildly from country to country.

Regards,

Kareni

Wow, 6 years! So wonderful! 

Thanks for those tips. I had wondered if I could send her some gifts but I didn’t know if there was an economical way to do that. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Quill said:

Thanks for those tips. I had wondered if I could send her some gifts but I didn’t know if there was an economical way to do that. 

Book Depository and iHerb are the best we've encountered for South Korea as the cost of direct mailing a package from the U.S. is quite high. You might have options for France that are unavailable to us. It might be worth starting a new thread to ask.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Catwoman said:

She is BEAUTIFUL, Quill!!!

It must be so hard to see her go. It will be so much fun to go visit her again this year, though — is there any way you can visit around Christmastime?

Christmastime would be difficult, although I’m sure it would be pretty over there. I am trying to get a job and that is one thing impacting if I can even go at all, let alone soon. I also have intense anxiety about having a flight when ice and snow are a potential problem. Just being real, here. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Aww I love the photo.   I hope she has an amazing adventure.   How long was she there last year?  I forgot. 

She was there for four months for her Study Abroad. So this is nearly twice as long. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quill said:

Christmastime would be difficult, although I’m sure it would be pretty over there. I am trying to get a job and that is one thing impacting if I can even go at all, let alone soon. I also have intense anxiety about having a flight when ice and snow are a potential problem. Just being real, here. 

That’s perfectly understandable!!!

• Like 2

I hope you get to go see her, Quill. Being able to visit my overseas son makes it bearable. I just booked a ticket for November. I wish I could have stayed until the Christmas markets open, but I wanted to get back here for Thanksgiving. I will be there during the off-off-off season, but prices are better and crowds are light. That's the silver lining, I suppose.

Hugs to you!

• Like 1

Hugs (((Quill)))) so much change in one month.... 1st your son starts high school AND now your beautiful daughter leaves for great adventure.  I am vecklemping here....

Here is a funny story....on the first day back to Coop, your son's friends at Coop had a ceremony in his honor which included all of your son's accolades that they thought were funny 🙂

• Thanks 1