Menu

Sat subject tests with listening - how does this work?

Have any of your children sat any SAT subject tests with listening? My daughter has Korean with listening in early November.

I'm wondering how these actually work 🤔

We know she needs to bring a portable CD player (my goodness, what dinosaur technology!) and they will hand her a CD, but what then? 

Is the CD somehow made so that you can't re-listen to a track? Do all students listen track-by-track at the same time?

Thanks for your help. I can't find this info on the College Board site.

• Like 1

My dd had wanted to take the Spanish with listening test because she scored higher on practice tests with that than the reading only one, It’s been a while, but I know I was thinking it had to be a Walkman-type of device and while I had a couple of those around the house (from the 80s!), none of her worked reliably any more. When I looked for similar devices on amazon, they all had extremely poor reviews for reliability. In the end, I felt there were too many things that could go wrong with the listening test, so we went with the reading one, I read many university world language SAT 2 placement/credit requirements and even contacted the Spanish departments at a few schools to see whether they preferred one test over the other and none of the schools that I looked at did.

If I were going to pursue a listening test, I would call the school and get clarification from whoever administers the test about exactly what type of device you need and how the test is administered. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

My dd had wanted to take the Spanish with listening test because she scored higher on practice tests with that than the reading only one, It’s been a while, but I know I was thinking it had to be a Walkman-type of device and while I had a couple of those around the house (from the 80s!), none of her worked reliably any more. When I looked for similar devices on amazon, they all had extremely poor reviews for reliability. In the end, I felt there were too many things that could go wrong with the listening test, so we went with the reading one, I read many university world language SAT 2 placement/credit requirements and even contacted the Spanish departments at a few schools to see whether they preferred one test over the other and none of the schools that I looked at did.

If I were going to pursue a listening test, I would call the school and get clarification from whoever administers the test about exactly what type of device you need and how the test is administered. 

I can't believe they need to use a portable CD player. I'm having 90s flashbacks 🙂     We bought one and it stopped working after two uses. It's been returned for a refund. We've just bought another one (different brand) and we're hoping this one will go the distance 🙄

As far as I can tell, the Korean subject test is only offered with listening, so it's this or nothing. 

I'll get in touch with the test supervisor for more details - great idea, thank you.

• Like 1