Menu

Accountability Thread 9/15-9/21

Morning! Halfway through September. How can it still feel so much like August? 

Today's schedule: Groceries, prepare school schedules, pick up pumpkins and stuff from the fair (boy got a lot of blue ribbons and one reserve best-of-show), and work on schedules for next week. We have some medical appointments next week, so it will be a short week of work. And the week after that, the boys have off to go on a field trip with grandparents to hunt for geodes.

It feels August-y here, too.  Weather + life? 

Getting going today: we have languages, math, piano, Bible.  Install Forest time/accountability app on ipads and maybe computers; plan week; draft rest of term and begin to get things going for next term.  If I can have a course list for both terms and basic resources that is a good start, then go on to lesson plans/procedure lists and organizational stuff: get notebooks set up &c. 

Exercise all around, younger DS has Pokemon this afternoon, dinner tonight, DH is around for the day: makes it less productive but more pleasant.

ETA: I'm throwing up a checklist for myself.  It's our today's school + what I'd like to get done -- prob. over the next week.

• Today school
    • boys: Greek, Latin, piano, math, Bible, Anki
  • Finish term
    • plan out short list of what we ought to finish
      • SOTW2; younger DS body science;
    • have list a loop schedule of our subjects
      • history; science; art; math; Greek; Latin; English; Bible; piano; music; artist + composer study; AO readings for younger; medieval readings for elder; independent reads
      • for Bible: make a procedure list based on MP's 5-day Christian Studies plan.  Incorporate Hebrew Bible review for elder DS
      • plan illus. family bible readings for younger ds
  • Draft next term/few term subjects -- this will be SOTW3/Early Modern + Chemistry, more or less, for topics, plus some Memoria Press work
  • Begin a next-actions list for the next term(s)
  • Start organizing supplies for next term(s)
  • Spend some time cleaning up my computer stuff for this term, move what I need to
  • Home: work on daily cleaning, gardening
  • Goal of cooking once with each child this week: happysmileylady has inspired me to try this! 
  • Do migraine/flu-prevention work each day: a few rounds of brief aerobics + some math problems.  This might help with the changes in stress hormones that seem to be happening around elder DS' health + recovery from Church Disaster.  Was knocked out with a bad headache yesterday, do not want to repeat. 
  • Exercise generally
  • Read Bible daily
Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Its 94 degrees here. I miss the pools.

School starts officially tomorrow. 

She has Bible, phonics, reading, math, read alouds and penmanship. We are doing a unit study this week on dinosaurs and current reptiles. So a lot of her stuff is related to it. It will end with a visit to our Natural History Museum.

This week also starts her homeschool co-op on Thursday. 

• Like 2

Morning. It's August in terms of weather and life--yep. But I sense a change is on the horizon. Boys are doing school. We are finishing up a little from last week, because I had to take off that one day to go talk with the lawyer and didn't know how long that would take. It took all day, what with phone calls. I'm still doing mop-up from the situation that spawned that necessity.

Other than that, I'm going to try to get back to some kind of normal this week and next. This week is hectic, but next week the boys don't have school, and I think I can play some catching up on things like housework, quiet mornings on the porch with my tea and a notebook, and maybe sleep too. 

Today's schedule: Mop-up, boys doing school, and I have 1000 words to write, 5 pages of character work, a class exercise and module to watch, and laundry to do. I also want to finish a book cover this week, and look for a frame to display all four. Probably need a custom mat for doing that, but I may have a frame here that I can measure and see if it will work.

• Like 1

@happysmileylady: I keep drilling my kids on what they are studying -- as in, What is your history? Middle Ages.  What's your science?  anatomy -- but it doesn't matter.  Either they answer "dunno" or they say Greek or Latin, and then whoever's interrogating them wants to know why they are bothering with dead languages, and then -- even though I drill them on my reasons for dead languages, too -- we're right back at: "dunno."  !!!!!!

Today: well, I've stopped sleeping well so I need to cement that with plenty of exercise and less stress, while keeping us roughly on track and prepping for piano recital Wednesday.

• School for the day: piano, Bible, languages, math, Anki/poetry memorization.  Everything else is gravy. 
  • House for day: get laundry done & away, dinner made in time for us to go to our RPG game tonight and not leave a mess for DH, general picking up chores, clean sheets on beds.
  • Exercise: plenty for me and elder DS. 
  • Prep for game tonight:  ??? set aside 15" to do this, ideally. 

PS -- CritterFixer, glad that it seems the legal drama is wrapping up & that you have a week off coming up.  🙂 

• Like 1

Today we did bible, phonics review, review alphabet fluency both manuscript and cursive, Beast Academy math,  penmanship and she read to me.

Her and I attended a potluck lunch then picked Dad up who was working overtime. Then visited a friend.

DD6 and Daddy are hanging out while I'm at the laundry mat.

Family time then bed.

She is enjoying her new math program and she says it's better then the last one and not as easy but not hard. 

• Like 1

Morning. Boys have a light school day, and tomorrow is my doctor's appointment. I thought I was going to have anesthesia, but it's just a consult, so I don't have to starve to death tonight. Always a good thing.

Today's schedule: Chores, writing, character work. Trying to settle back into my usual schedule. It's just hard.

• Like 1

Today: school for boys (history; Bible; their daily work; Gk + Lat + math; extra round Latin for elder; work cleaning bathroom & laundry room; 5" each boy cleaning his room; exercise for elder DS (runs, weights, some ballet/yoga); dinner on, do a round cleaning up before DH comes home; exercise for me -- a run; exercise for younger DS. 

ETA: we are in full teenager + being sick mode here, so there is no way we'll finish everything.  Our academic priority is to keep up with online classwork and practice for tomorrow's piano recital; our non-academic priorities are to get exercise, spend some time on the house, and for me to plan & prep tomorrow's work with this in mind: elder DS may be a bit sick; I need both be flexible in what gets done when AND be pretty no-nonsense in my requirements; we need time for another "full-dress" recital practice + other piano practice; we have term goals.

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Morning. Doctor today, but I won't be asleep for this appointment. Consult. No school for the boys. They have math and art tomorrow, and then they have their holiday week starting on Friday, and continuing into next week when they leave on a geode hunting trip. I get to stay home, work on writing, and miss them while I also enjoy some solitude.

Other than that, I plan to work on character profiles, and then come home and read most of the afternoon. I will also make stew and possibly there will be cornbread with it because I want some.

• Like 1

Finally Daddy has a day off. He has been doing a lot of overtime. 

While he slept in I did Bible, phonics and math with her.

They built dinosaurs freestyle with Legos, drawing pictures and penmanship, so far.

Currently they are watching an animated version of the Boxcar Children. (She loves that book series).

She will read some dinosaur stories to Daddy and he will read some to her. Dinosaur puzzle and maybe go to the Natural History Museum. Then make frosted sugar cookies together.

Mommy gets to clean. 

• Like 2

Ouch! Poor guy.😥

Nothing doing here today. We were going to drive to the lake, but rain ruined those plans for today. We need the rain desperately, so not complaining. We'll just go Sunday instead, when the rain has washed all the dust and allergens out of the air. 

I'm working on a character profile and backstory today for November NaNoWriMo, and the boys are mostly watching television and watching it rain. Really, it hasn't rained in almost a whole month, and it's nice to see it falling again.

Our Fridays are crazy.

Took Dad to work.

Grocery shopping. 

Did Bible, activity handouts from a dental presentation at co-op (dental hygiene), Popular Mechanics for Kids dvd, 2 Boxcar Children audiobooks and arts/crafts.

Storytime with crafts at library. Hung out with other kids.

Lunch with Dad

Spent time with friends.

Art time with Dad (after he got home).

• Like 1