Menu

Transcript Help (PS to home school) UPDATE

Dd attended public school 9-11th grades and is doing senior year at home/dual enrolled. She only wants to apply to two in state schools and I am able to use one application for both as they are affiliated. I did call and they said they wanted the high school to send the 9-11 grades directly to them. School said no problem and they would mail them on Monday.

The college wants me to email a transcript for this year though. What should that look like? There are no grades yet so it would really just be a list of classes they are taking and what is planned for next semester. I'm wondering how formal it should look since it's really just a list with no grades. I was told they would not need a formal transcript from the CC she is taking some classes at until she actually enrolls. Her GPA is from the end of junior year and would be included in the transcripts they send but should I list it somewhere on what I send as well? 

The specific college app for these in state schools was really basic. Just info on where they live, where they attend school, what they want to major in, and had to upload the essay. Nothing about classes, GPA, test scores, etc. I've already done what's necessary for CB to send test scores but should I include a section for SAT and AP scores since it's not on the application?

Also, should I include information on why she left ps for senior year? Would I include it on the transcript with the list of classes or make it separate? She kind of touched on it in her essay but wasn't very explicit.

I would copy a template and make it look pretty formal. List each course as DE for dual enrollment. Make a place to name the DE school. List each grade as TBD or Pending or something along those lines. You can also include test scores if that makes sense.

As for your reasoning, can you write a counselor letter? Most colleges want a "school counselor" letter. That would be the place to frame the work she did for high school thus far. You can very briefly say these are her strengths, these are the challenges she overcome, here's why she made a major change, here's why it's all working out and some highlights we'd like you to notice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joker said:

The college wants me to email a transcript for this year though. What should that look like?  

It should look exactly like a transcript with grades, you can just put a hyphen as a placeholder. 

Something like this but with normal spacing, lol: 

Course

GR

CR

H Civics & Free Enterprise

~

• Like 3

3 hours ago, katilac said:

It should look exactly like a transcript with grades, you can just put a hyphen as a placeholder. 

Or a notation that the course is "in progress". 🙂

Also, since there will be multiple transcripts (the public high school and the community college), you may wish to list ALL courses on your transcript, with notations as to where each course in each of the grades was accomplished. That can make it a lot easier on the admissions officer to have everything in one place on your transcript, which also acts as the "master" transcript. Just a thought!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

On 9/15/2019 at 1:43 PM, Lori D. said:

Or a notation that the course is "in progress". 🙂

Also, since there will be multiple transcripts (the public high school and the community college), you may wish to list ALL courses on your transcript, with notations as to where each course in each of the grades was accomplished. That can make it a lot easier on the admissions officer to have everything in one place on your transcript, which also acts as the "master" transcript. Just a thought!

I made two, one an official transcript, and one showing both homeschool classes and other courses taken even though we also sent a transcript directly from the school. The 2nd was labeled "Combined Transcript, not official." My transcript was labeled "Official Homeschool Transcript" and signed.  I did not sign the combined transcript.  The admissions office said that was nice to have it all in one spot, and it seems to have worked--we found out she was accepted the first week of September!  I cannot believe you can find out that early now, the school does running acceptances and started taking applications 1 August, she applied early so we could get the process out of the way before school started.  I labeled current classes with an asterisk, put a side note with the asterisk showing in progress, current classes. I put credits in the box and left the box for grade blank.  On the combined transcript, I put either a plus sign or two asterisks and italics for the classes taken at a local school and not homeschooled.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 3

Thanks everyone! I have been told so many different things already and it's only two universities that are even affiliated with each other! Today, I actually received a call from one asking for my state certification for homeschooling?! No such thing exists here.

I finally was able to speak with a head of the admissions department this morning and he told me to mail a master transcript that includes all of high school. He said they had received all test scores from CB so I will leave all of that off the transcript.

• Like 1

• Joker changed the title to Transcript Help (PS to home school) UPDATE

I wanted to update because I stressed so much about her homeschooling again just for senior year and then again about putting together the transcripts. She only wanted to apply to two state universities and found out this week she got into both! So much worry for nothing! Now, I can relax and be happy that both of my dc are going to the same university which makes visiting so much easier! 

• Like 10