Menu

If you use Mathematics: A Human Endeavor...

You could just use high school math 1; schools around here don't designate topical math on transcripts since integrated math became the standard with Common Core. There is high school math 1, 2, and 3. Calculus gets designated as such, maybe precalc as well? I'd have to check.

2 hours ago, hollyhock2 said:

If you use Mathematics: A Human Endeavor by Harold Jacobs in high school, what do you call it on a transcript?

Nothing.  I didn't give high school credit for it in spite of the fact that my son used it between Algebra I (which I gave HS credit for) and geometry (which I also gave high school credit for).

Edited by EKS

1 hour ago, hollyhock2 said:

What if he's already done algebra 1 and geometry? Won't it look weird to have a "Math 3" after that? That's why I'm asking. Unless I change all the course titles, which I could do.

Maybe something like "Topics in Mathematics"?

Or yes switch to Math 1, 2, and 3.

12 hours ago, Gil said:

Math for Liberal Arts?

I did a search last night and found a whole bunch of archived topics here that answered my question. A number of people called it Math for Liberal Arts, and I also found some who called it Applications of Mathematics. I think I would go with something like that. Thanks!

• Like 1

Our local high schools have a hybrid math course they call "math models."

My daughter took through trig but needs review of algebra and statistics and a few other things to be prepared for college level math.  I like "topics in math," but I may just go with math models.  I called the math department of the college she plans to attend next year and talked to them about what you need to review to be prepared for the course she will need to take, they were very helpful.