Menu

ACT Tutor

Possibly add Kaplan to the list of companies you investigate.

https://www.kaptest.com/act/free/act-practice

https://www.kaptest.com/act

Last year, they had a "tie in" with ACT.  Possibly they still have that. If so, IMO that's "a plus".   My DD had access to an Online program for approximately 2 months that had a lot of Videos, and a few Live sessions with an Instructor where the students could ask  the Instructor questions. She found that very helpful. Somewhat more helpful than the material she used to study for the SAT on Khan Academy.  It was $99 or $100.  You can spend a lot more, many thousands of dollars more, so investigate carefully, before you spend a lot of money.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Kaplan seems to still be aligned with ACT since we got a great number of last minute it isn’t too late to start studying emails from them.  My daughter took the ACT on Saturday so we still don’t know her scores.  She had 4 sessions of private tutoring with Stellar scores over the summer and my daughter really liked her.  Each session was scheduled individually so there was no commitment and no pressure to take any certain amount of sessions.  Stacey was very supportive of homeschooling and of my daughter doing most of the work on her own.  My daughter liked having a tutor to keep her motivated, to provide some additional support on math tailored to her needs, and to be a source for many extra practice tests.  She really didn’t want to sit in a class.

• Like 2

My kids both used Prep Scholar. I did a review a while back on it so you can search for it. Both kids improved 4 points and one had very little room to improve. It takes about 60-80 hours (kid dependent) to get through the course to qualify for the refund, so unless your kid is willing to work you can't bank on the "4 point guarantee". 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 7:14 AM, whitestavern said:

Thanks Mom2mthj, I reached out to Stacey. We're trying to increase my son's ACT math section score before the Oct ACT date.

Just coming back to say thank you for the recommendation. My son had a session with Stacey today and she was awesome!! So many great tips and tricks. After just one session, we feel confident he will be able to do well on the math section, which was his goal. We are so pleased that we are going to schedule another one or two sessions to work on other sections. Bonus: my son really liked her as well!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just circling back around to say that after just a few sessions with Stacey (ACT coach recommended in this thread) my son improved his first score (26) to a 32!!! He is ecstatic 🙂 And even though he focused on math mostly, with one session on reading and science, he upped every single section, even the ones he didn't do additional work on. Really can't recommend her highly enough.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, High School Homeschool Dad said:

Coming back to this topic after being distracted for a while.

For those of you who suggested PrepScholar, was that with the individual tutoring or just the computerized lessons?

Thanks,

Kevin

We used Prep Scholar with computerized lessons for PSAT/SAT prep. Daughter took both the same month, and ended up with 2350 SAT (back when there was a writing section in 2014) and ultimately National Merit Scholar with her PSAT score.

My youngest just used the computerized lessons for PSAT prep, but somewhat casually since it is just sophomore year for her. Her score is not back yet.

Our oldest used the program for GRE prep and found it useful.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, High School Homeschool Dad said:

Coming back to this topic after being distracted for a while.

For those of you who suggested PrepScholar, was that with the individual tutoring or just the computerized lessons?

Thanks,

Kevin

DS just used the computerized lessons, no individual tutoring. He said the online lessons and the explanations were very thorough, so he didn't have any unanswered questions and didn't feel like he needed additional help. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 7:34 AM, FriedClams said:

My kids both used Prep Scholar. I did a review a while back on it so you can search for it. Both kids improved 4 points and one had very little room to improve. It takes about 60-80 hours (kid dependent) to get through the course to qualify for the refund, so unless your kid is willing to work you can't bank on the "4 point guarantee". 

Thanks, FriedClams. I found your article, but WordPress says you marked it as private. I requested an invite to read it. Would you mind granting me permission?

Thanks,

Kevin

13 hours ago, High School Homeschool Dad said:

Thanks, FriedClams. I found your article, but WordPress says you marked it as private. I requested an invite to read it. Would you mind granting me permission?

Thanks,

Kevin

Sorry! I'll see what I can do and either send you a link or pm you the review. Basically, it's about 80 hours of work to complete the course. Worked for 1 kid, 3 points for other but not tried the refund deal yet. I think it's worth the $ if you have a kid that's willing to work.