Menu

Question about tithing

Night Elf

I believe in tithing and tithe the top off my paycheck. I do not tithe my DH's income because he's not a believer. So naturally my tithing amount is small. So my question is where am I supposed to tithe? I've been giving 10% to my church's general offering fund that they pull out general expenses. I sometimes add a few dollars to another ministry as well. However I have found a world missions ministry that truly touches my heart. I'd love to give to them on a regular basis but I cannot afford to tithe to my church and gift this missions program as well. Can I tithe to this missions program instead of my church? I'm thinking tithing is to the church but is it my specific church building or to the church body of all Christians? FWIW, I volunteer in the Preschool Ministry teaching Sunday School and working in Wednesday night Awana program. Would it be wrong of me to think of my volunteering hours as my contribution to my church and give my tithing money to the world missions organization? I don't know exactly how tithing works in this way.

I do not donate money to my church but I will happily donate to religious causes that serve people in need, whatever that need may be.

My main reason for not donati to my church is because I believe the money could be better served going to a specific need not just being in the churches general funds that go to whatever. Because over time that general fund just seems to become inflated with rather unnecessary things when it could be going to more service oriented things

• Like 1

I don't personally believe the Bible teaching tithing as such for Christians, but cheerful giving. 

Different churches teach differently about this, of course. Some say gross, some say net. Some say any church mission, some say all 10% must go to your local congregation. 

I think you can safely go with your conscience on this, since it is not specifically mentioned in scripture. But if you aren't sure, I would ask your pastor for advice.

• Like 5

I tithe 10% to my church but that is an explicit teaching of my church.

In your case, I think you might resolve your concern in a couple of ways. One might be to discuss your question with your pastor if that is a person you see as a spiritual authority or guide. Another would be to study what scripture has to say and pray over the decision, determining for yourself what feels right to you.

Splitting your donation between your church and the mission organization might be an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Night Elf said:

I believe in tithing and tithe the top off my paycheck. I do not tithe my DH's income because he's not a believer. So naturally my tithing amount is small. So my question is where am I supposed to tithe? I've been giving 10% to my church's general offering fund that they pull out general expenses. I sometimes add a few dollars to another ministry as well. However I have found a world missions ministry that truly touches my heart. I'd love to give to them on a regular basis but I cannot afford to tithe to my church and gift this missions program as well. Can I tithe to this missions program instead of my church? I'm thinking tithing is to the church but is it my specific church building or to the church body of all Christians? FWIW, I volunteer in the Preschool Ministry teaching Sunday School and working in Wednesday night Awana program. Would it be wrong of me to think of my volunteering hours as my contribution to my church and give my tithing money to the world missions organization? I don't know exactly how tithing works in this way.

Personally I believe the tithe goes to the local church that is serving me and my family. It was originally set in place to feed the Levites, the priests. If the Israelites had chosen to take their offerings to other good causes and not pay the tithes to the Levites, the priests would starve and not be able to do THEIR work. The worker is worthy of his hire. My offerings are above and beyond to other causes. I know others disagree.

• Like 5

Based on my understanding of Scripture, I do not believe tithing (giving a certain percentage of one's income) is a requirement for Christians. Tithing was required for the Jews. (And actually, if you added up all the tithes they were give, it came not to 10%, but more like 25% of their income.) As Christians, we are not under the Old Testament law (see Romans 10:4 and Galatians chapter 3).

That said, if your conscience has called you to tithe 10%, you should do it! 🙂Generally speaking, I think it is fine for you to distribute your monetary gifts as you see fit, as long as those gifts are helping others spiritually or physically. However, I personally would not feel comfortable not giving at least a small amount to my local church. Perhaps you could direct most of your tithe to this missions ministry that has touched your heart and still give a few dollars to your church?

The New Testament does of course teach that we are to give regularly, cheerfully, and generously. It sounds like you are already doing that with both your time and your finances.

Hugs to you, Beth.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

I believe the tithe is giving to the church (global church).   I don't give to just my local church.  I give some, but I give mostly to missions and ministries and missionaries.  The church is the body of Christ, not a specific building.   Give to where God leads you.

• Like 1

My church has missions that are good causes but I've always donated to the general fund because I know the costs of overhead are high. I do feel I'm being led to put my money towards causes though and not just the upkeep of the church. I'm going to pray about it more. I can ask my pastor. It would be interesting to hear his answer. He'll probably say to tithe towards our ministries such as specific mission trips and local community causes. It's all good stuff. I'd give more to each but I tithe such a small amount that it amounts to me giving $5 here and $5 there. It just seems like a paltry amount, especially when my household income is so much higher. Oh well, I can't do anything about that.

We prefer to give to specific areas within our local church or to missions.  If you feel called to give to missions that is a wonderful cause that we give to both in time and financially.  The general fund is not always used for just that particular church and it’s needs and my family likes to have a bit more control.  Make sure you attend the annual meetings.

Might depend on size of church--any financial gift is significant to small churches. If everyone decided to give to other missions instead, there would be no church. But I don't think all 10% needs to go to the local church. Set an amount less than 10% that feels right and use the remainder for other missions/causes/organizations you want to support.

• Like 1

Well, I am not religious at all, but ant organization is going to have expenses to run on a daily basis even if it is just to pay for the building and utilities. What if everyone in your church decided that the general fund was not worthy of their donation? How would the church function? I would say that if you want to be a part of this organization then you should be giving financial support in some way. With limited funds, I do think it would be fine to donate some to the church and some to another organization.

in fact, when I was a member of a church that was exactly what was encouraged by the church leadership.

• Like 1