Menu

What's with the ads?

gardenmom5

help IDing plant?

I was placing where I want to plant some native shrubs - and found this. (dry, west facing slope with lots of afternoon sun. Native soil.)  leaves and stems are fuzzy/hairy.  soft.  might be some type of oceanspray?   but of course - it's very young (looks like at least two - three years worth of growth), and pictures online are of established size plants.

If it is oceanspray - it tells me to give it a wide berth, as it can get fairly good sized shrub.  I currently plan to keep it.

2019-09-12 15.47.09.jpg

2019-09-12 15.47.22.jpg

Yep, it's oceanspray - Holodiscus discolor. In my area it grows on dry, shady slopes, often under oaks or doug fir, not so often in full sun unless it's near a creek. It can get 6-8 feet, but it's a slow grower. Nice find!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrysalis Academy said:

Yep, it's oceanspray - Holodiscus discolor. In my area it grows on dry, shady slopes, often under oaks or doug fir, not so often in full sun unless it's near a creek. It can get 6-8 feet, but it's a slow grower. Nice find!

no doug fir nearby.   The neighbors did take out an enormous big-leaf maple clump immediately uphill from it's location a few years ago.   It can't be that old - I planted a bunch of kinnikinnick two - three years ago, and the slope was pretty bare.

I'll plant my ribes somewhere else.  

there's another one I found - different leaf, almost a waxy texture.  have zero clue..  same general area.  looks like I had a flower clump (?). almost a hint of fall color.

2019-09-12 16.08.10.jpg

2019-09-12 16.08.15.jpg

Edited by gardenmom5

Are you meaning the very glossy small deep green leaf plant ? The small lighter green leaf plant? Or the taller nettle looking plant? 

31 minutes ago, Pen said:

Are you meaning the very glossy small deep green leaf plant ? The small lighter green leaf plant? Or the taller nettle looking plant? 

the bigger plant.  I planted the kinnickinnik two years ago.

27 minutes ago, Pen said:

F2086D6E-4CCC-4040-A3A8-55D487B5ED2B.jpeg

I deleted the picture to reduce confusion.  I actually cropped one of this one to cut off as much kinnikinnick as I could to reduce confusion.

2 hours ago, Chrysalis Academy said:

Hmm, I don't know that one off the top of my head - Does it have a square stem (Lamiaceae)? Or round?

round.  I tried to include a close up of the stem.

just want to add I'm positive it's not a berry vine.  (in case someone wants to go there.)

2019-09-12 16.08.10 stem close up.jpg

Edited by gardenmom5

LOL. But the fact someone might go there based on the leaf shape supports my theory - I think it is in the rosaceae family - maybe Crataegus (hawthorne)? 

I don't think it's hawthorne.  It looks like it has actually put out flowers this year - but I don't remember seeing them. - you can see the clusters of dead flowers.