Menu

Who else started MPOA this week? How's it going?

teachermom2834

My 6th grade dd is taking five classes this year (First Form, Chreia/Maxim, MS Science 1, 6th Grade Math, and Middle School Lit 1). She started with two last year and loved it. I hemmed and hawed thinking five was crazy for an 11 yo but that is what we ended up with. She has had all her classes now and is so excited about them. I was anxious to see how the homework load would be and how due dates, etc. would work out within the week but I think it is all going to work out nicely. I know the workload will ramp up but this week we were able to get everything done for those classes plus the rest of the six grade core we are doing on our own. 

We don't have outside activities during the school day so we are able to fit it all in nicely. She is so happy with all her classes and I am happy it doesn't seem like it will be too overwhelming. It is great to see her so enthusiastic about everything. Hopefully that will stick (she never did tire of the classes last year and even cried on the last day.) 

The only downside is that I miss her. LOL. We are used to being together all the time and doing all her school together. I guess I would really miss her if she went to school.

My dd is a junior this year and is taking 5 classes with them (Latin III: Cicero, Material Logic/Rhetoric, Dante, Chemistry and AP European History). She's been doing the MPOA diploma program for the last two years. She's also dual enrolling at our CC (Calc 1 and Honors Geology). She took 6 MPOA classes her first year and 7 her sophomore year. She just got into the rhythm of assignments and didn't find it overwhelming, but she did need to do homework for a couple of hours a day including weekends to stay on top of her classes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

My dd is a junior this year and is taking 5 classes with them (Latin III: Cicero, Material Logic/Rhetoric, Dante, Chemistry and AP European History). She's been doing the MPOA diploma program for the last two years. She's also dual enrolling at our CC (Calc 1 and Honors Geology). She took 6 MPOA classes her first year and 7 her sophomore year. She just got into the rhythm of assignments and didn't find it overwhelming, but she did need to do homework for a couple of hours a day including weekends to stay on top of her classes.

My ds had Material Logic/Rhetoric and Chemistry last year. Chemistry was tough but he enjoyed it and learned a lot. He is taking Earth and Space Science de this semester and the first part has been all chemistry and he has aced it thanks to his MPOA chem class. 

I have looked at the diploma program and am keeping that in mind for my dd in a couple years. I’m interested but not sure of the advantage. The cost seems similar to registering with the early discount. We have an umbrella school (which keeps us legal in our state) that keeps records and generates transcripts. 

Just now, teachermom2834 said:

My ds had Material Logic/Rhetoric and Chemistry last year. Chemistry was tough but he enjoyed it and learned a lot. He is taking Earth and Space Science de this semester and the first part has been all chemistry and he has aced it thanks to his MPOA chem class. 

I have looked at the diploma program and am keeping that in mind for my dd in a couple years. I’m interested but not sure of the advantage. The cost seems similar to registering with the early discount. We have an umbrella school (which keeps us legal in our state) that keeps records and generates transcripts. 

We chose it because of the record keeping and transcripts but we're in a state with no requirements (and no umbrella schools available). They've been quick to send transcripts and other required documents when dd applied to her summer Latin program. Dd would have done all of her classes online anyway since she likes having outside teachers and other students to interact with and we don't have any suitable local coops or university schools.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DiannaKennedy said:

ROUGH. 

We are still trying to figure out time management as a family. My 8th grader is only in two classes (Physical Science and Pre-Algebra), then takes the rest of her classes at the local cottage school. We're getting ready for a vacation too, which might have been poor planning on my part. #toolatenow

Ugh. It is hard getting a hold on the time management with outside classes for sure. My dd with MPOA is my baby (two off at college and an 11th grader in dual enrollment). I have said many times her schedule only works because she is an effectively an “only”.  It is harder with more in the mix for sure. I hope you get settled in soon. 

1 hour ago, DiannaKennedy said:

ROUGH. 

We are still trying to figure out time management as a family. My 8th grader is only in two classes (Physical Science and Pre-Algebra), then takes the rest of her classes at the local cottage school. We're getting ready for a vacation too, which might have been poor planning on my part. #toolatenow

Can you take a lap top with you and make sure she has access to wifi to either join her classes live or watch the recordings soon after? We've had to do this a few times and it's worked out okay.

We just started my oldest DD 11 in MPOA as well.  Only one course this year, MS Science 1.  She’s loved the first week and did very well being self directed during the week (we’ll see if this continues, thinking it will as she seems to have turned a new leaf this year).  I was hoping for a gentle intro to what online classes look and feel like in a subject I didn’t really want to teach and this seems perfect.

15 minutes ago, Trilliumlady said:

We just started my oldest DD 11 in MPOA as well.  Only one course this year, MS Science 1.  She’s loved the first week and did very well being self directed during the week (we’ll see if this continues, thinking it will as she seems to have turned a new leaf this year).  I was hoping for a gentle intro to what online classes look and feel like in a subject I didn’t really want to teach and this seems perfect.

My dd is in a section of MS Science 1 and also loved it. I think you made a great choice for an intro to MPOA. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest (7th grade) made the leap from one class the last two years (Latin), to three classes this year (Latin, Ref/Con, and Earth Science). He's loving them all even though one is a really early morning class since we're west coast. He did get his first good lesson in time management when he had something due on a Thursday morning that he thought would take less time so he didn't work on it most of the week. I think it was actually a really great thing that happened the first week of class, and it reinforced very practically what his mom had been saying since before school started: you can't leave things until the night before they are due thinking you can just write up an assignment in 10 minutes!!

My 2nd started his first year with online Latin and it seems to be going well. I do have to type his quiz answers for him or else the timer runs out. But he's only 5th grade and it was a Mom fail on enforcing typing practice over the summer. 😕

8 hours ago, EmseB said:

My oldest (7th grade) made the leap from one class the last two years (Latin), to three classes this year (Latin, Ref/Con, and Earth Science). He's loving them all even though one is a really early morning class since we're west coast. He did get his first good lesson in time management when he had something due on a Thursday morning that he thought would take less time so he didn't work on it most of the week. I think it was actually a really great thing that happened the first week of class, and it reinforced very practically what his mom had been saying since before school started: you can't leave things until the night before they are due thinking you can just write up an assignment in 10 minutes!!

My 2nd started his first year with online Latin and it seems to be going well. I do have to type his quiz answers for him or else the timer runs out. But he's only 5th grade and it was a Mom fail on enforcing typing practice over the summer. 😕

Ooh...I might be checking back with you about that earth science class. That’s a possibility for next year (because always planning for next year I guess. Haha)

We had a little time management issue this week too. It was really my fault as I was thinking her Chreia/Maxim essay was due just before class on Monday but it is due at noon Friday. Not sure why I thought that, other than just trying to get used to all the due dates for 5 classes. I had planned to spend the day Friday on it and just kept putting it off all week. It was Thursday evening when I realized the error so we went ahead and did it on Thursday night. We don’t usually do work at night but neither of us like to be working on things right up until the last minute.  It was the first one so there was an unknown how long it would take/ how we needed to format it etc. It only took about an hour to move it from her rough draft to ready to submit so we’ll know better next time how long to plan for. 

Yes, I am involved with keeping her on track. She has 5 classes and is doing the rest of the core too. So I definitely help her pace out her work over the course of the week and for the first chreia essay of the year I always planned to hold her hand and help with formatting, etc. (Just mentioning before someone asks why my dd isn’t responsible for all her work herself.)

My 4th grade dd is taking her first online class this year...LC with MPOA, and she absolutely loves it! She likes her teacher (Dr. Dray), the style of the class meetings, and her funny/smart classmates. She even kind of likes the Latin! She gets pretty stressed during the quizzes because she has definite trouble with spelling (whether it be Latin or English), but she has improved each week...and guess what? She is taking her spelling lessons more seriously as a result!

Thank you, @teachermom2834 for encouraging me to go forward with it. You steered me right! ☺️

6 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

My 4th grade dd is taking her first online class this year...LC with MPOA, and she absolutely loves it! She likes her teacher (Dr. Dray), the style of the class meetings, and her funny/smart classmates. She even kind of likes the Latin! She gets pretty stressed during the quizzes because she has definite trouble with spelling (whether it be Latin or English), but she has improved each week...and guess what? She is taking her spelling lessons more seriously as a result!

Thank you, @teachermom2834 for encouraging me to go forward with it. You steered me right! ☺️

Phew! So much pressure to recommend a class 🙂

I’m so glad you both are happy!