Menu

Have we discussed Notice & Note by Beers/Probst?

PeterPan

Notice & Note: Strategies for Close Reading                                     

Reading Nonfiction: Notice & Note Stances, Signposts, and Strategies                                     

Notice & Note / Reading Nonfiction Signpost Student Bookmarks: 30-Pack                                     

There's also an active FB group where people share resources. 

https://accidentalenglishteacher.com/2015/12/29/short-stories-picture-books-and-video-clips-for-notice-and-note/?fbclid=IwAR1TBcGsFgBG65z7vtAWnfm5n19uJF1FMJMh1dfuBG5klI2lMkZ0mTLmVcI

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1MuWgJKpfjGi1iWhBm0LH9wjwPwodCs_59C1PF3qfXiY/edit?fbclid=IwAR1rgSSQlj6xq4opMSWnPoXjc86bEEcqghqwhzT4kOy9Yyn26Q6MKUi_8Mw#slide=id.g5d3ced1641_0_0

Both these links have more links with movie clips, literature selections, etc. to teach the sign posts.

So what I'm seeing is a lot of posts where 5th is the magic grade to start teaching these. And I'm seeing people saying they're surprisingly effective with SLD/intervention kids. Maybe precisely because they're a cognitive strategy rather than a disability thing? 

So I'm thinking I need to get my butt in gear and try them with ds. And I want to use more videos anyway, because we need to be using video clips to work on emotions. I SO need to be doing that, lol.

What do you think? I got the book from the library, skimmed, thought it made sense, returned. That was earlier in the summer. It's kind of multi-age and possibly better somewhat later, definitely not better too early. Sort of middle of the road. Their book Disrupting Thinking is also a worthy read.

Well check out those blog and google doc links, because there's some crazy serious meat there. And the books should be at your library. You can see the jist on the signpost bookmarks at the amazon link. 

I *think* it's as simple as the signposts. Like there's no wizardry here. It's just they're pointing out things that some people just notice that other people don't, lol. Not a replacement for another curriculum, not comprehensive, just this other hey we can pick up the cluephone on this. And I think they're more cerebral and concrete, rather than language and implication and junk. I think they're within reach in other words. And you can work on them via reading or videos or whatever and then just apply them.

I think teachers are doing a quick run through, introducing each signpost, then the reference sheet is just there for discussions throughout the year. I'm not sure whether that's the smartest way with *my* student or not, but hey, who knows! They're not sequential or developmental, so you could do any number of them and do them in any order you pleased. You could do half and half, whatever.

Edited by PeterPan