Menu

Suggestions? Amazon rental issue

DawnM

We rented a book for my son's class from Amazon book rental.  I ordered it early (Aug 1st) because my son thought he would get started on reading it (he didn't!)

School started yesterday and he took the book out and, although it appears to be in perfect condition, there is a rip along the spine that I am worried will get worse as he uses it.

It is too late to return it for a refund of the rental, but I don't want to charged the $180 price tag for the book.

I have some Library book cover material that I used during our HS days.  Should I put some of that on it?

I honestly don't know what to do.  It clearly states on Amazon that I am past the date to get a refund, that this book was "checked by experts" for being in great rental condition, etc.....YES, I can call them, but I am coming here to ask for suggestions or if anyone has dealt with this in the past and if you covered the book somehow or what???  Plus, when I call, I get someone in the Philippians who has no idea what to say other than regurgitating the standard lines I am fully capable of reading online.

Thanks

• Sad 1

I haven't dealt with that specifically, but I've dealt with a lot of random things with Amazon and their customer service has always been fantastic.   I usually use their help form -- I think sometimes it connects you to online chat.  They've always given me the benefit of the doubt (even if it's past a deadline) and have always made it right for me.  I'd try that.

• Like 3

We had a damaged book one semester.  My son notified Amazon and they made a note in the file.  We were not charged for the book, even though it looked even worse after five months of use.  I think that as long as you contact them soon, you can stop worrying.

Edited by LJPPKGFGSC
  • Like 5

I'm another vote for having the condition noted.

I might glue it down or perhaps tape it from the inside.  I'd be concerned that taping from the outside would scream "damaged!"

Is the library stuff you have like clear Contact paper...removable?  Something removable over the spine could help keep it from getting worst.

Just eyeballing the picture, I don't think the spine will break when you open it. But it will absolutely be noticeable when you return it, so I'd contact them ASAP using the chat function J-rap mentioned. That's always worked well for me and there is less of a language barrier with written text than a phone call. Plus, they generate a transcript of the chat so you have a written record later.