Menu

Singapore Dimensions Math 6-8 Qs

silver

Thoughts on Dimensions Math 6-8 from anyone who has used all (or part) of it?

I know that if you do all of Dimensions 6-8, you've covered Pre-A, Algebra 1, and some Geometry. Do any of the levels correspond with Pre-Algebra? I'm OK with covering some Algebra, but I'm looking for a one year Pre-Algebra course. Looking at the table of contents for each book, it looks like level 6 might be pre-algebra, but the FAQ seems to imply level 7 is pre-algebra. https://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Secondary_Math_s/16.htm

Also, if I have a student that does not need lots and lots of practice problems, can we get away with just the textbook, skipping the workbook?

All my kids did Singapore Primary through 5B. Then my older kids did other programs, Jousting Armadillos and AOPS, but my youngest wanted to stick with Singapore. So, we have been doing Dimensions 6A this year. We are only in chapter 2, so I can't answer all your questions, but so far we really like it and I am glad I chose to go to Dimensions instead of doing Primary 6. I think that they may be enough problems in the Textbook for a kid that doesn't need much practice. Looking through it, I can see how my son who doesn't need much practice would have been fine. 

• Thanks 1

Could you please elaborate regarding why you are glad you went the Dimensions route for 6 instead of using Singapore 6A? I decided the alternate course for my DD who wanted to stay with Singapore. We are doing Singapore Standards 6A/6B along with Math Mammoth 7 and the plan is to pick up Dimensions in 7th.

The issue I have with Dimensions is that it covers only "part" of Geometry so what do you do for the rest of Geometry? And what is missing? I wouldn't want my DD to do a whole year of Geometry in 9th when a whole year isn't necessary.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:40 AM, silver said:

Thoughts on Dimensions Math 6-8 from anyone who has used all (or part) of it?

I know that if you do all of Dimensions 6-8, you've covered Pre-A, Algebra 1, and some Geometry. Do any of the levels correspond with Pre-Algebra? I'm OK with covering some Algebra, but I'm looking for a one year Pre-Algebra course. Looking at the table of contents for each book, it looks like level 6 might be pre-algebra, but the FAQ seems to imply level 7 is pre-algebra. https://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Secondary_Math_s/16.htm

Also, if I have a student that does not need lots and lots of practice problems, can we get away with just the textbook, skipping the workbook?

We've used 7 and 8 after coming from US Edition Singapore. 6 was not available when we started. I think 6 is more of what we would think of as pre-algebra. 

You might do better with Math Mammoth if you are looking for a one-year pre-algebra course. Because I don't want to go back and buy DM 6, and because my son was a bit ahead in math, we opted to veer into Math Mammoth for two years, and then do Dimensions 7. (MM will give him the topics not covered in US Edition Singapore and give him a more explicit pre-algebra base than Dimensions 7 does.) You might look at Math Mammoth 6 and 7, or the topical series (but you'll have to figure out an order for the topical series).

As for the Dimensions Math workbook, the workbook has the more challenging problems. It's not really review. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CAtoVA said:

The issue I have with Dimensions is that it covers only "part" of Geometry so what do you do for the rest of Geometry? And what is missing? I wouldn't want my DD to do a whole year of Geometry in 9th when a whole year isn't necessary.

I am not quite there yet with my younger son, and my older son uses multiple resources for math rather than just Dimensions (quirky learner with some learning issues). He is doing Algebra II immediately instead of Geometry, and will do Geometry later. My intent, with both kids, is to accelerate through what they already know in Geometry unless they need review--that might mean doing fewer problems, skipping sections, or just spot checking their understanding before skipping something. One of them is going to try AOPS Geometry--that may end up taking enough time (for him) that it's moot, or he might go through it fast--it's hard to say. Geometry is a lot more natural for him than algebra, but nothing about that kid is straightforward.

The pages are color-coded by topic. Geometry is red, prob/stats is green, etc. You could (carefully) skip the geometry (there might be some enmeshment with other concepts) and just do a regular geometry curriculum instead.

I think most kids will know what they remember and what they don't, and the problem will probably solve itself. 

That's why I use the Primary Standards Edition—it is more thorough than the Singapore US Edition. The Dimension 6 textbook was similar to the Singapore Standards 6 textbook from what I could see in the samples so we just stayed with Standards and added in MM for some extra pre-Algebra practice. I got the whole 7th grade MM download for like $27.00 when it was on sale two weeks ago. We also have been doing Beast Academy for two years and will continue with BA  level 5 this year. We like to mix it up!!!!

That's so great to know the topics/pages are color coded, kbutton! I either forgot that or didn't notice/see that in the Dimensions samples. Thanks!

Edited by CAtoVA
  • Like 2

Probably, imo. They cover many of the same topics but,  if anything, I recall that Dimensions 6 didn't seem as challenging as Singapore 6 probably because with Dimensions there will be 3 years to cover all the topics of middle school/early high school math.  It's been awhile since I have looked but I think one area of difference was Singapore 6 does far more with negative numbers than Dimensions 6. If you know for sure you will use Dimensions 7, then this probably is not an issue as you will get to negative numbers in D 7. We are not totally sure we will use Dimensions 7, so because I am considering 6th grade my DD's Pre-A year, I need thorough coverage of negative numbers this year. I am also using MM Level 7 which I got on sale to beef up some Pre-A areas (exponents and negative numbers, for example). 

I just asked a question on the user facebook page and someone else responded - this was really helpful to me as I consider whether to move from 6A/B to Dimensions 6 or 7. It also explains why one person said 6 was a much more in depth pre-A and another said they transitioned seamlessly to 7:

A key difference is the older versions (Primary, NEM) operated on a 1-6 elementary school model, with 7 being the transition to secondary school style math; the Dimensions operates on a model where elementary school style goes to grade 5 and middle school/secondary style begins in grade 6. So Primary presents grade 6 content in an elementary school style, but Dimensions presents it in a secondary school style. If the student is solid on the grade 6 content, it probably doesn't make sense to repeat the entire grade level in a different format, but rather to transition to Dimensions 7 and just move through it more slowly to account for the challenge of adapting to increasing formality. In the posts, a number of people report having difficulty finishing Dimension 7 in one school year, but since you're starting out well ahead of standard grade level, that would seem to be a plus. If the student is shaky on grade 6 content, then switching to Dimension 6 would feel like moving ahead rather than repeating (due to the increased formality).

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Like 1

Today, for this 6th grade year, I plan on my DD doing Primary Standards 6A & 6B (more rigorous than US Singapore imo), adding in MM 7 where needed, and Beast Academy Level 5 to mix it up. Then, it's likely we will move on to Dimensions 7 in 7th grade with the idea of continuing with DM level 8 the following year. So, yes, from what I have seen of the books, I believe the transition will be relatively smooth from Singapore 6 to Dimensions 7.   

From all of this my hope is that DD will have all of Algebra 1 completed and a lot of HS Geometry completed by the end of 8th grade. That's her goal, too. I like the idea of integrated mathematics, as opposed to the typically American single topic courses, which is one reason I am strongly considering the Dimensions curriculum.

Edited by CAtoVA
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

I just asked a question on the user facebook page and someone else responded - this was really helpful to me as I consider whether to move from 6A/B to Dimensions 6 or 7. It also explains why one person said 6 was a much more in depth pre-A and another said they transitioned seamlessly to 7:

A key difference is the older versions (Primary, NEM) operated on a 1-6 elementary school model, with 7 being the transition to secondary school style math; the Dimensions operates on a model where elementary school style goes to grade 5 and middle school/secondary style begins in grade 6. So Primary presents grade 6 content in an elementary school style, but Dimensions presents it in a secondary school style. If the student is solid on the grade 6 content, it probably doesn't make sense to repeat the entire grade level in a different format, but rather to transition to Dimensions 7 and just move through it more slowly to account for the challenge of adapting to increasing formality. In the posts, a number of people report having difficulty finishing Dimension 7 in one school year, but since you're starting out well ahead of standard grade level, that would seem to be a plus. If the student is shaky on grade 6 content, then switching to Dimension 6 would feel like moving ahead rather than repeating (due to the increased formality).

Having gone from US edition 6 to Dimensions 7, I would say this sounds very likely for most students. My older kiddo didn't transition that well, but he has some learning differences, very quirky ones (tests higher than he seems able to actually do, and tests that way repeatedly while my kiddo who does better IRL doesn't test as well...).

If you are coming from Standards vs. US or from Math Mammoth 7, I would expect things to go fine, but maybe more slowly. I hadn't really thought of phrasing things as being more formal, but it's definitely true of the text.

• 3 months later...

A question for current/recent Singapore Dimensions Math users — since The Geometer’s Sketchpad is not available for purchase any longer, what do you use instead? We have encountered some activities involving The Geometer’s Sketchpad in Singapore Primary 6B, and it looks like it is referred to in Dimensions Math 7 as well. Any recommendations for easy to use software for geometric explorations?

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back up to ask for advice: my current 3rd grader is finishing Singapore 5A this week. We’ll move on to 5B and likely get through all (or most) before we break for summer.

So next year.....6A primary or 6A Dimensions? I went from 5A to 6A Dimensions with his older brother (currently in 5th grade and almost done with Dimensions 6A, planning on working through so we can start 7A next year). Older child has a good attention span and can work and rework problems with (little) frustration. Younger has intuitive grasp of math—he’s still doing 90% of 5A in his head (correctly) and we’re taking things a bit slower bc he doesn’t have attention span to work as long.  As I’m typing this I am in a hour of working through a ton of end of ch practice problems with older son. Younger would have pitched a fit 30+ min ago. 

Would going to 6 Primary and then going through 6 Dimensions at a faster clip to get used to more mature style be a reasonable plan? Or overkill?

Mathy no2 desperately wants to catch up w no1 (and hates the idea of “repeating “ 6),  but I don’t think the maturity is there to handle the workload. Also thinking (way) ahead, this would put them both in Calculus in 11th grade, even with taking a full year for Geometry after Dimensions, which seems more doable than no2 going straight on through to Calc as a 10th grader. 

(Adding that both kids are working Rod & Staff to get drill/review independently.   We’re going to start a Mindset Math class with some friends (did one book on our own and enjoyed it), and we do the challenging word problems type books at night with dad, so I am not enamored of the idea of taking a year “off” to do another program or explore different topics, since we’re already doing some of that).