Menu

What's with the ads?

Earthmerlin

Logical Thinking Questions & Prompts (for everyday use)

I have a 5th grader & would like to teach her logic but not necessarily through just books on the topic. I’m pressed for time with her (I after school) so need a list of question or discussion prompts that are applicable to everyday life with this bent. I hope this isn’t too tall an order but I figure it’d maximize our time together, if that makes sense. Many thanks!

"Why do you think they did that?" coupled with "What do you think might be the consequence of their choice/action?" work pretty well to prompt discussion in everyday life, without feeling too "school-y". 😄

Discussing political speeches/promises can also be an informal way to point ant discuss logical fallacies (not to mention show the complete lack of reasoning or logical progression of thinking behind the statements made by many politicians (:D ).

• Like 2

"What motive might [the speaker]  have for saying this?"

"What is the evidence for this conclusion?"

"What is missing here?"

"What might [someone with a different viewpoint] say about that?"

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

What's your plan, or how do you figure? .... ie. get her to reflect on her intentions, and develop her project management skills using reason recognizing values and tradeoffs.

How'd that work out for ...you/other person?  What could have made it work better? 

If you haven't taught why you daisy-chain your errands, you might start asking her to reason that out. What's the cost/benefit?

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 1