Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

Where do you hide specific recipe ingredients?

So, I posted a thread about cooking with my kids.  I talked about having my kids pick out specific recipes.  I also posted to the thread about the grocery budget and talked about buying exactly what you need for a recipe from the bulk bins.

Tonight, DD10's salad choice was mandarin-cashew tossed salad as her side dish.  I purchased exactly a half of a cup of cashews specifically for this salad.  I *also* purchased large jar of peanuts for snacking purposes.  I showed DH the snacking peanuts.  I separated them all out into snack sized containers.  Maybe I shouldn't have put the baggie of 1/2 cup of cashews in the same place in the pantry.

I went to start getting ingredients together for dinner tonight, and I notice that the cashews are missing.  

The empty baggie is on the end table next to DH's seat.

Please note at this point, DH and I are the *only* ones that eat nuts on a regular basis.  Most of the kids will eat peanuts if they see us eating them, just a couple, and they all love peanut butter, but generally speaking, they don't eat nuts on their own.

So, I text DH...did you eat the cashews?

He responds with "No"

I sent back "someone did.  And they apparently framed you since the bag was on your table."  I added lots of smiley faces, because really, it's not that big a deal, we can probably sub in peanuts for the cashews in the salad, it just won't taste as good.

He says, "I swear, I only had a few, but I did not eat the whole bag.     I only had 6 nuts"

I send back a couple more smileys and say "which kid would attempt to frame you for such a crime?"

He says "I don't know, but I really only had a handful.   Are you saying they are all gone? "  And then a minute later...we'll talk later, I am really busy."

*sigh*  I need to figure out a hiding place for those ingredients that are intended to be for a specific recipe.  Where do you hide all yours?😁

Sometimes I write with sharpie on the bag/box, or whatever saying "DO NOT EAT" or something like that. Sometimes, I keep it with other non-perishables in their shopping bag near my cookbooks, (I've also had a bag of stuff in the fridge, and either wrote on that or just rolled it in the bag really well.) 

• Like 1

Produce drawers or behind the extras (mustard, ketchup, etc) in the pantry. Extras are on the bottom shelf and no one wants to bend down there unless they have to.

But, I rarely have special ingredients that are so appealing as nuts (we keep cashews on hand for snacking). It's usually something more exotic, and my husband is suspicious of exotic. The kids ask first.

• Like 1

I have a separate little stretch of counterspace that is the designated "do not eat on pain of Mom's extreme displeasure" spot. I have them so well trained that I can put cookies and candy and all kinds of goodies on there and even DH (the worst offender when it comes to food snitching) won't touch it when it's on that counter. Apparently I am really mean and scary LOL

• Like 1

I rarely have to worry about it. The kids don't get food without permission -- I'm not strict about food at all, it's just habit for them. 

Dh...well, he's a late-night snacker BUT if he eats all of something (i.e. ice cream or special cereal I bought for the kids), he'll replace it, usually before I notice it's been eaten. 

I keep a plastic box in the fridge and one in the pantry.  Ingredients for a meal go.in.the.box.  Everyone knows that's my mise en place organization and they don't touch the box so I can just grab the entire thing and cook dinner.  I don't want to have to hunt around the kitchen for things as I'm cooking and I don't have time to always do it before I cook.

So, he got home, and he's actually for real trying to insist that he didn't eat these cashews.  *sigh*  seriously dude, there's like no other option, and it's just not that big of a deal.  We have already used the peanuts in the salad, it was totally fine.  But, whatever, if he doesn't want to admit it, then he doesn't.  (and no, the kids simply wouldn't have.  The younger two have feeding issues that are or might be spectrum related, and DD10 is just not a nut eater.)

Anyway...

5 hours ago, alisha said:

Sometimes I write with sharpie on the bag/box, or whatever saying "DO NOT EAT" or something like that. Sometimes, I keep it with other non-perishables in their shopping bag near my cookbooks, (I've also had a bag of stuff in the fridge, and either wrote on that or just rolled it in the bag really well.) 

This is a workable option.  I already have started a label section in the kitchen to make sure I properly label stuff I am putting in the freezer and such.  Adding a sharpie wouldn't take much

5 hours ago, Selkie said:

I bury them in the bottom of one of the produce drawers because no one ever goes in there but me.

LOL  True true.  I don't really have room for that but it's a good idea!

4 hours ago, Jentrovert said:

Produce drawers or behind the extras (mustard, ketchup, etc) in the pantry. Extras are on the bottom shelf and no one wants to bend down there unless they have to.

But, I rarely have special ingredients that are so appealing as nuts (we keep cashews on hand for snacking). It's usually something more exotic, and my husband is suspicious of exotic. The kids ask first.

Right now I don't have extras, and yes, he won't bend down to the bottom of the pantry unless he *HAS* too.  

DH likes a variety of nuts, so I tend to rotate whatever is on sale for snacking.  Peanuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios, etc.  This week, peanuts were on sale and they provide a lot of snacking for the value.  The cashews were specifically just for the recipe that DD10 chose.  

41 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

I have a separate little stretch of counterspace that is the designated "do not eat on pain of Mom's extreme displeasure" spot. I have them so well trained that I can put cookies and candy and all kinds of goodies on there and even DH (the worst offender when it comes to food snitching) won't touch it when it's on that counter. Apparently I am really mean and scary LOL

If I had more counter space that would be great.  When we owned our house, we had a walk in pantry that I couldn't even fully fill and I had one of those types of spaces.  But, I do have a great pantry here (not a walk in but a separately purchased piece of furniture that is huge and gorgeous and I love it and has the space) so maybe something like that too.  I have a few white baskets....maybe that will work.

22 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I rarely have to worry about it. The kids don't get food without permission -- I'm not strict about food at all, it's just habit for them. 

Dh...well, he's a late-night snacker BUT if he eats all of something (i.e. ice cream or special cereal I bought for the kids), he'll replace it, usually before I notice it's been eaten. 

My DH doesn't buy food unless I specifically ask.  So no replacing from him.  He does do that late night snacker thing lol

22 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I keep a plastic box in the fridge and one in the pantry.  Ingredients for a meal go.in.the.box.  Everyone knows that's my mise en place organization and they don't touch the box so I can just grab the entire thing and cook dinner.  I don't want to have to hunt around the kitchen for things as I'm cooking and I don't have time to always do it before I cook.

Usually in the fridge isn't much of a problem.  In the fridge, he usually doesn't eat it unless it's already put in individual clear containers.  In the pantry.....yeah lol. 

I think I am gonna put one of my white baskets in the pantry, and then also buy a sharpie this weekend lol

• Like 1

I do the DO NOT EAT sharpie label on some items.  Others will go into a paper lunch sack and get stashed elsewhere in the kitchen, in with the pots and pans, behind a bunch of little used random stuff in a dark corner of a corner cabinet.  If it's very delicious it will go in my bedroom stashed under some sweaters.  

We're all about trust and faith in my family.  😁

• Haha 1

I generally put snacks on one shelf in the pantry and a basket on the counter.  My family is unlikely to go rummaging around for stuff that I didn't put in one of the 'snack' places.

I do the DO NOT EAT on the package usually for stuff that needs to be refrigerated because those are more likely to be accidentally eaten. I also show dh all the things I bought for a recipe that I don't want him to eat as we are putting groceries away. I have also tied things up in a grocery bag or lunch bag for a specific meal. That way I can just grab the bag with most of the ingredients in it when I'm ready to cook.

In your situation, I would probably have each kid gather the ingredients for their meal and put them in a specific bin or bag that the whole family knows is not for snacking. If a child forgets to put an ingredient in their bin or bag and it gets eaten, then they have to figure out a substitute or whether the ingredient can be left out. Shopping and gathering ingredients is a part of learning to cook too, as well as figuring out what to do when you are missing an ingredient. Of course you can coach and help the younger ones on what to do, but the older they are, the more responsibility I would give them for ensuring they have the ingredients and what to do if they don't.

Glad I am not the only one who has to do this! I have to hide chocolate chips in the waaaaay back of our very full top freezer, behind the breast milk!

I use those blank, white, circular garage sale stickers instead of writing threats because I'm lazy.

If I tell the  kids not to, they won't. If I tell dh not to, he will. He just can't remember.

One time, I made the filling for chicken enchiladas while I was making lunch. At dinner, I went to grab the bowl of filling to stuff the enchiladas and bake the whole thing. Dh had eaten the filling!!! I don't even know when he got up. I thought he was asleep. There were like three bites of filling left. I ordered takeout.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:26 PM, daijobu said:

I do the DO NOT EAT sharpie label on some items.  Others will go into a paper lunch sack and get stashed elsewhere in the kitchen, in with the pots and pans, behind a bunch of little used random stuff in a dark corner of a corner cabinet.  If it's very delicious it will go in my bedroom stashed under some sweaters.  

We're all about trust and faith in my family.  😁

Lol.  I actually have some dark chocolate stashed in one of my drawers lol.  Of course that's because it's MINE, given to me by DD23.  

On 9/12/2019 at 6:06 AM, ClemsonDana said:

I generally put snacks on one shelf in the pantry and a basket on the counter.  My family is unlikely to go rummaging around for stuff that I didn't put in one of the 'snack' places.

I generally try to keep the snacks on the top right shelf of the pantry, but sometimes I have to put other stuff up there.

20 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

My kids only eat at specific times and I'm generally involved with that.  My DH has his own area where he keeps his snacks.  I've never had ingredients go missing unless I'm the culprit.  🙂  

DH doesn't buy his own snacks

19 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

Next time, put them in an empty tampon box.  😁

Lol.  

17 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I do the DO NOT EAT on the package usually for stuff that needs to be refrigerated because those are more likely to be accidentally eaten. I also show dh all the things I bought for a recipe that I don't want him to eat as we are putting groceries away. I have also tied things up in a grocery bag or lunch bag for a specific meal. That way I can just grab the bag with most of the ingredients in it when I'm ready to cook.

In your situation, I would probably have each kid gather the ingredients for their meal and put them in a specific bin or bag that the whole family knows is not for snacking. If a child forgets to put an ingredient in their bin or bag and it gets eaten, then they have to figure out a substitute or whether the ingredient can be left out. Shopping and gathering ingredients is a part of learning to cook too, as well as figuring out what to do when you are missing an ingredient. Of course you can coach and help the younger ones on what to do, but the older they are, the more responsibility I would give them for ensuring they have the ingredients and what to do if they don't.

Now, I really like this idea, especially since I don't bring them shopping with me.  

16 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I write "No touchee, no eatee, upon pain of death" on it.  They know that I'm serious.  😉    

Lol

11 hours ago, Ema said:

Glad I am not the only one who has to do this! I have to hide chocolate chips in the waaaaay back of our very full top freezer, behind the breast milk!

🤣

9 hours ago, Slache said:

I use those blank, white, circular garage sale stickers instead of writing threats because I'm lazy.

That's not something he would pay attention to

9 hours ago, Farrar said:

If I tell the  kids not to, they won't. If I tell dh not to, he will. He just can't remember.

One time, I made the filling for chicken enchiladas while I was making lunch. At dinner, I went to grab the bowl of filling to stuff the enchiladas and bake the whole thing. Dh had eaten the filling!!! I don't even know when he got up. I thought he was asleep. There were like three bites of filling left. I ordered takeout.

I love that he left 3 bites!  Like you wouldn't notice the rest of it was gone

• Like 2