Menu

Any tips for Lingua Latina PSI Familia Romana?

15 hours ago, mms said:

I tried it last year with DD then 10.  She did ok but at a pace that was excruciatingly slow and that made it far less interesting for her than I had intended.  It may be that she started too soon. I switched her to FFL and she still gripes about doing Latin but at least she's progressing.  That said, at DH's school they start Oerberg around 7th grade and seem to have good results, but they use Mima Maxi's Primer beforehand.  DH is currently teaching the kids who have gone through Familia Romana and he's pleased with their ability to read Caesar.  I hope to switch back to Oerberg after DD finishes SFL because I honestly think it is brilliant.

Make sure you have the college companion, the workbook, the novum excercitium, and the audio version.  When DH was using it to teach himself he would listen to the CD over and over on the commute and he said this was instrumental in getting him to think in Latin.  He now uses the audio with his students to give them another source of pronunciation.

There are no resources in the workbook to really drill the forms. Some, like Fr Reggie Foster, would claim that is completely unnecessary.  It is totally necessary for DD and that is what I appreciate about MP: it is all spelled out for me.  DH just has his students recite and write the forms over and over and gives quizes.  Also, there is a book of dialogues that correspond to each chapter of Familia Romana.  DD found those fun, more so than the text itself.

Thank you so much!  I have everything you listed except the College Companion, so I'll order that one.  I've got the dialogues book as well.