Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

Best way to lodge a complaint re: USPS lying about deliveries

I'm over our local post office. They lie all the time about delivering parcels, be it Amazon packages, or FedEx Smart Post (which is handed off to USPS for delivery)- I'll get a notification that it was delivered when it was not. They usually actually get around to delivering it a day or two later.

We are home. I have them on our cameras, with the time stamps, every time pulling up to our house and putting our mail in our mail box, but failing to deliver the packages. I know they aren't attempting to set foot on our property. We have a half circle type driveway and if the way our cars are parked happens to block their straight shot where they can pull up and pull through, they will skip our deliveries all the time. Heaven forbid you actually pull in and back the truck out, or you know WALK up the drive way with it to the front door like the UPS guy does. Or worse yet, just leave it at the foot of the driveway at the edge of the road, which he's recently done as well. 

I'm so frustrated because what is the point of paying expedited shipping? Then it doesn't make it on time, but you can't dispute it because they say it was delivered. Who's right?!? Calling our local USPS office is worthless. Is there any other way to get a complaint listened to that is successful someone can suggest? This all started when they replaced our mail lady with a new guy. I guess the USPS Creed doesn't involve walking up long driveways. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I am envisioning the episode of Seinfeld where Newman hoarded mail in his apartment for days because he didn't want to deliver the mail.

I don't know how to complain to the USPS but I would think you could start by just typing up what is going on and sending it online.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Do you have a local tv station that has an investigative reporter? I'd sure give 'em a scoop with the video footage & delivery reports as proof. You could park your vehicles just right & invite the reporter to come over & record it next time you know a package is coming.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Do you have a local tv station that has an investigative reporter? I'd sure give 'em a scoop with the video footage & delivery reports as proof. You could park your vehicles just right & invite the reporter to come over & record it next time you know a package is coming.

I'll check if one of the Houston stations still does Investigative Reporting. They are pretty busy reporting on crazy stories like this, so they might not care about my mail angst though. 😂

I don't know. Maybe he took my mail. 

"Just had a monkey try to attack me, while checking my mail. I've spent the last 20 minutes in my car," the woman posted on Facebook.

https://www.khou.com/article/life/animals/monkey-reportedly-on-the-loose-in-santa-fe/285-ff830c00-6672-4110-b01f-446dd973b2bc

• Haha 2

USPS has a new system- every call gets logged so that theh can see problems like this.  You will call and it goes to a call center and gets logged under your name, address, email, phone #.  Then the c as all center let's the local PO know.  I would start calling every time a package is marked delivered, but not. 

And how do I know this?  DH  called a few weeks ago bc our local mail from one store has been lost 3x in 6 months.  He made a complaint and it's now logged and each time it happens it will be tracked.  

• Like 5

Just now, BusyMom5 said:

USPS has a new system- every call gets logged so that theh can see problems like this.  You will call and it goes to a call center and gets logged under your name, address, email, phone #.  Then the c as all center let's the local PO know.  I would start calling every time a package is marked delivered, but not. 

And how do I know this?  DH  called a few weeks ago bc our local mail from one store has been lost 3x in 6 months.  He made a complaint and it's now logged and each time it happens it will be tracked.  

So did you call an 800 number, or just the local office direct number? 

I don't know exactly how, but someone here commented that Amazon can request only UPS delivery, never using the post office.  IDK how or if it's available everywhere, but I'd look back through the amazon threads in the past 4 or so months.  I'm pretty sure I read that this summer.  Maybe whoever it was will comment.

• Like 2

In my experience, nothing can fix a bad post office. Ours was complained about so much that the USPS tried to close it, but they weren't going to open another to replace it and our officials got ticked, so we're still stuck with it.

• Sad 1

I tried to file an online form with USPS- it says the tracking number is unavailable and takes me back to home page......It's Smart Post, so I tried FedEx (the origin shipper), but FedEx website says USPS delivered it at 5:36pm today,  and if there is a problem to report it to USPS, so it's like a circle where no one takes responsibility. I need to call USPS 800 number, but I'm out of patience to deal with it right now.

I did at least email the selling company who had sent me an automated email stating the items were delivered, to let them know that NO, they weren't, and what the situation was- and they aren't getting what they pay for on shipment. I might not be able to do anything directly to USPS, but maybe the sellers will move to shipping with UPS if they care about customer satisfaction. UPS seems pretty on it. But then again, FedEx did too until this stupid partnership with USPS. 

Have you spoken to the local postmaster directly? We had a similar problem and once we found that guy it was solved, but since it is just one person he could just as easily be the root of problem. But I would say that figuring out who it is and talking to them would be worth a shot.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don't know exactly how, but someone here commented that Amazon can request only UPS delivery, never using the post office.  IDK how or if it's available everywhere, but I'd look back through the amazon threads in the past 4 or so months.  I'm pretty sure I read that this summer.  Maybe whoever it was will comment.

That was me (I think)...it was based on us not being able to get shipments from Amazon Logistics contractors, so we had them do only UPS or USPS on our account after we had several issues not getting stuff. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Have you spoken to the local postmaster directly? We had a similar problem and once we found that guy it was solved, but since it is just one person he could just as easily be the root of problem. But I would say that figuring out who it is and talking to them would be worth a shot.

I haven't. I will try tomorrow. To date I have just gotten whoever bothered to answer the phone when they bother to answer at all. One of the worst interactions was when we were having live chicks shipped here. The hatchery only used USPS, but as it was January and unusually cold for here, I (thankfully) called in advance of the order and asked if  I could come pick them up directly at the USPS office. We are rural and are the very last stop in town, which meant the chicks would have an 8+ hour day in the non-heated part of a mail truck- I was going to end up with dead chicks at that rate. But regardless, they said NOPE- it goes directly on the mail truck. You cannot pick it up.......I ended up having them shipped to my parent's addess, who are in a Houston suburb, to a post office which is 10x+ as busy but they were happy to let me come pick them up as soon as the office opened- go figure. So though there was a drive, they were in a heated car and not in 20 something weather for days on end. That's when I realized it's very office dependent. Ours is just sleepy little town, and boy do they stink. 

• Like 1

there was a postman in seattle that was tossing mail - for YEARS before he was finally caught.  he just didn't want to deliver it.

report to the office postmaster, then work your way up the chain.   I'd also file a "lost mail" claim - every. single. time. a package is listed as delivered - but isn't.  so what if they deliver it three days later  -- the postal worker is lying about doing their job - repeatedly. it's causing you problems that they're not doing their job.

• Like 3

After living here awhile, I discovered that there are different rules for delivery when you live rurally.  Like, yes, the truck can honk once and then just drive off. That "counts" as a delivery attempt. There's also some rule about they won't leave stuff on porches that don't have an overhang or aren't enclosed.  There's some rule about the length of your driveway. 

I did go in a talk to the local office. That seemed to keep our driver from skirting too many of the rules.  But the rules are different. I bought the largest mailbox I could afford. (One house nearby has a very large Rubbermaid tub with a lid at the end of their driveway.)

I don't remember all the rules but I did a quick search and found this link

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/General-Guidelines-and-Policies-for-Rural-Delivery

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, amyx4 said:

After living here awhile, I discovered that there are different rules for delivery when you live rurally.  Like, yes, the truck can honk once and then just drive off. That "counts" as a delivery attempt. There's also some rule about they won't leave stuff on porches that don't have an overhang or aren't enclosed.  There's some rule about the length of your driveway. 

I did go in a talk to the local office. That seemed to keep our driver from skirting too many of the rules.  But the rules are different. I bought the largest mailbox I could afford. (One house nearby has a very large Rubbermaid tub with a lid at the end of their driveway.)

I don't remember all the rules but I did a quick search and found this link

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/General-Guidelines-and-Policies-for-Rural-Delivery

Thanks! We're not that rural though- I mean, we are on acreage, but we are within a city limit- everything is paved, and they always brought everything up to the porch before this guy started. I definitely know he didn't honk because I have him on camera from the minute he got within frame- well before our driveway begins, and I've got sound on the footage. He's just lazy. 

We had that happen all the time in our suburban neighborhood.  The mail carrier does that because they are supposed to deliver it by a certain date.  They scan it so they get he credit for having delivered it and then just deliver it in their own timeframe.  A lot of people complained to the local usps and had nothing doing about it.  Complaining to Amazon got farther.  Amazon just has its own trucks doing deliveries now but we’re also in a large enough area for that to be worthwhile.  

For problems with a federal agency, start at the Office of the Inspector General for that particular agency. (The Inspector General is the head honcho of the Office of the Inspector General. Just to be clear.) The OIG of that agency is supposed to oversee the agency and make sure they are doing their jobs.

For the USPS, though, the OIG only deals with specific problems. However, if the delivery problem is severe enough, eventually the IG could get wind of it. The heads of departments do not want to deal with the OIG. (Btw, some of the IGs have been corrupt themselves but just mentioning that you are going to complain to the OIG might make someone more inclined to fix the problem.) Here is what the USPS OIG recommendeds:

https://www.uspsoig.gov/hotline-helpful-links

If any neighbors are having the same problem, you would probably have more clout to band together and complain.

You could also complain to local politicians.

I am normally one for attacking up the chain of command but as you are stuck with Newman I wonder if a bit of charm might go a really long way......I am wondering if actually meeting the guy and asking about something in a likable way might fix things.  If you becoming a real person might help.

Years ago we had an issue with our delivery person for USPS............lived in a neighborhood where they walked.  Our house had been a construction site for months before we moved in and she had issues because we had no step for months......we also had no mail being delivered there for us, so had not even registered this as a problem.  I think she said she had left notes and someone(probably Dh put them in the circular file).  Everyone used the back door and we didn’t want or need previous occupants mail. 😂 

I arrived permanently the day I brought Dd home from the hospital so it took a couple of weeks for me to realize my mail wasn’t being delivered quite right......I waited and watched and asked her with squalling infant in arms why when she walked by.  It was something totally silly like the angle the new mailbox was attached at.  Seriously it was a mind boggling picky issue but the gal was irritated with us.  I promised we would fix it but I was expecting something and pretty please could you drop it off.  I don’t think we ever fixed the angle but I chatted with her all the time very nicely after that.  No more issues.

13 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

They lie all the time about delivering parcels, be it Amazon packages, or FedEx Smart Post (which is handed off to USPS for delivery)- I'll get a notification that it was delivered when it was not. They usually actually get around to delivering it a day or two later.

I didn't get to read all the other posts so I'm sorry if this has already been addressed but UPS and FedEx smartpost will say delivered when it arrives at the local post office. Depending on the time of day it comes in and the mail load in that particular office, it could be a day or two before it is actually delivered to you. It's just how SmartPost works. It's annoying as all get out, but it is how the cooperative system between UPS/FedEx and the post office works.

Have you gone to the post office where your rural carrier works and asked for packages? Don't call. Just go up there and ask to speak to the carrier. Tell them you have packages and you want to help them out because your driveway is often crowded and you want to just collect your packages so they do not have to worry about them. We live rurally and have a rural letter carrier and dh's grandma is a rural letter carrier in the next town over. They are always happy to lighten their load if a customer comes in and asks for their packages before they leave the post office in the morning on their route. If they have a particularly strict postmaster, catch them on the route. Ask if you can get your packages from them. They are usually thrilled to have one less package to deliver.

I don't know what to tell you about the chicks. If it is a package of live animals that says "Call on Arrival" that is what they are suppose to do. Period. That package is not to go out on the route. A particularly nice postmaster would let you come get it before or after hours so it could be worth your time to get to know your carrier and your postmaster. A "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" kind of thing. If you are on friendly terms, they are more likely to do special favors for you.

I can ask dh's grandma when she gets home what the official rules are on live animals but I know she always calls the customer on her route. And leaves the package at the post office for them to retrieve. I'll ask her if she does that out of kindness or if it is some kind of rule if you want. I can also ask her anything else you want me to ask her. Just let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I didn't get to read all the other posts so I'm sorry if this has already been addressed but UPS and FedEx smartpost will say delivered when it arrives at the local post office. Depending on the time of day it comes in and the mail load in that particular office, it could be a day or two before it is actually delivered to you. It's just how SmartPost works. It's annoying as all get out, but it is how the cooperative system between UPS/FedEx and the post office works.

Have you gone to the post office where your rural carrier works and asked for packages? Don't call. Just go up there and ask to speak to the carrier. Tell them you have packages and you want to help them out because your driveway is often crowded and you want to just collect your packages so they do not have to worry about them. We live rurally and have a rural letter carrier and dh's grandma is a rural letter carrier in the next town over. They are always happy to lighten their load if a customer comes in and asks for their packages before they leave the post office in the morning on their route. If they have a particularly strict postmaster, catch them on the route. Ask if you can get your packages from them. They are usually thrilled to have one less package to deliver.

I don't know what to tell you about the chicks. If it is a package of live animals that says "Call on Arrival" that is what they are suppose to do. Period. That package is not to go out on the route. A particularly nice postmaster would let you come get it before or after hours so it could be worth your time to get to know your carrier and your postmaster. A "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" kind of thing. If you are on friendly terms, they are more likely to do special favors for you.

I can ask dh's grandma when she gets home what the official rules are on live animals but I know she always calls the customer on her route. And leaves the package at the post office for them to retrieve. I'll ask her if she does that out of kindness or if it is some kind of rule if you want. I can also ask her anything else you want me to ask her. Just let me know.

That’s not true here. Smartpost isn’t marked as delivered until it is actually delivered. It will say “out for delivery” until it is actually delivered. 

• Like 2

OP, sign up with FedEx to get delivery notifications. They’ll let you know when something is on its way and give you very detailed tracking on anything coming to your address. I have often been notified by FedEx that something was on its way before the actual shipper.

I’ve been having the same sort of problem here. I hope you manage a successful complaint.  

I was just at my post office.

One customer had 6 missing packages (said delivered) and one customer has 3 missing packages. Apparently my local post office doesn’t even answer their phone.

The USPS agent said they had 60 complaints they were investigating!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scholastica said:

OP, sign up with FedEx to get delivery notifications. They’ll let you know when something is on its way and give you very detailed tracking on anything coming to your address. I have often been notified by FedEx that something was on its way before the actual shipper.

I did. They sent me a message that it was delivered yesterday at 5 something  But when I tried to report it hadn't been delivered, they said I needed to take it up with USPS. 

25 minutes ago, gingersmom said:

I was just at my post office.

One customer had 6 missing packages (said delivered) and one customer has 3 missing packages. Apparently my local post office doesn’t even answer their phone.

The USPS agent said they had 60 complaints they were investigating!

Wow. 

Smartpost is different than regular mail and different than regular packages from UPS or FedEx. A package shipped by UPS SmartPost or FedEx SmartPost is shipped by UPS/FedEx to your local post office. At that point, when it is received by your post office, it will be marked as delivered by UPS/FedEx because they are now released of responsibility for the package once it is in the USPS's possession. For their part in the transit of your package, it has been delivered. The USPS taken responsibility from there of actually delivering the package to the customer. Unlike regular UPS/FedEx shipping, it will not show "Out for delivery" on their website on the day you receive the package because UPS/FedEx will not be delivering the package to your home. The package will be brought to your home or whereever you pick up mail by your letter carrier. It is very confusing for a lot of people because their package shows as delivered but they don't actually receive the package for a day or two. It is why FedEx is telling OP to take it up with the post office. FedEx is no longer liable for the package once the post office takes possession for final delivery.

• Like 1

This reminds me of something.  One of my cousins in Florida shared a local news piece last year, I can't remember if it was in Tallahassee or Gainesville but it was one of those.  Amazon packages kept going missing and never getting delivered.  A rural landowner called the sheriff because someone kept dumping amazon boxes with dozens of different names onto his property.  Turned out the delivery driver was stealing packages.  IDK what happened but I think I read that some of the items were so valuable it was a felony and the minimum sentence would be 3-5 years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

Yes. I think this is the number: Consumer Affairs office at 1-800-275-8777.

16 hours ago, EmseB said:

So, we talked to our postmaster about our stinky service, and it was well-received. I think they were trying to get rid of the carrier that was being a problem.

I would also try to catch the carrier and say something to them first. We had a sub once that would violate post office rules at customers' requests! Stupid requests that he should know could get him fired. Additionally, he would do those stupid things with other customers' mail...but he was honestly not trying to be a problem, he was trying to give "good" customer service, and he had customers asking him to do dumb things. We were actually talking to him because we thought our main carrier was doing all the bad stuff--he quickly owned up about the stupid thing he was doing, lol! I told him that he was endangering his job by violating policy, and he needed to tell his customers so. Anyway, some of the nonsense quit after that.

Our awful mail lady is GONE. I am so happy. 

If the postmaster isn't responsive, you can go up the chain. I think the next person up is called a POOM (have also seen the term MPOO). 

Additionally, if you have a friend that works in the postal system, they can probably give you advice or help you locate a number. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Smartpost is different than regular mail and different than regular packages from UPS or FedEx. A package shipped by UPS SmartPost or FedEx SmartPost is shipped by UPS/FedEx to your local post office. At that point, when it is received by your post office, it will be marked as delivered by UPS/FedEx because they are now released of responsibility for the package once it is in the USPS's possession. For their part in the transit of your package, it has been delivered. The USPS taken responsibility from there of actually delivering the package to the customer. Unlike regular UPS/FedEx shipping, it will not show "Out for delivery" on their website on the day you receive the package because UPS/FedEx will not be delivering the package to your home. The package will be brought to your home or whereever you pick up mail by your letter carrier. It is very confusing for a lot of people because their package shows as delivered but they don't actually receive the package for a day or two. It is why FedEx is telling OP to take it up with the post office. FedEx is no longer liable for the package once the post office takes possession for final delivery.

FedEx and UPS give me a USPS tracking number once it’s passed off, so I can continue to track it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

This reminds me of something.  One of my cousins in Florida shared a local news piece last year, I can't remember if it was in Tallahassee or Gainesville but it was one of those.  Amazon packages kept going missing and never getting delivered.  A rural landowner called the sheriff because someone kept dumping amazon boxes with dozens of different names onto his property.  Turned out the delivery driver was stealing packages.  IDK what happened but I think I read that some of the items were so valuable it was a felony and the minimum sentence would be 3-5 years.

If this delivery driver stole it, he's going to be really disappointed to learn he ended up with a homeschool spelling program. 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

In this case, FedEx is saying USPS actually delivered it. Not just that they have it. USPS is saying they are unable to access the tracking information at this time. It didn't arrive with today's post either. Unless they send a second truck through.