Menu

What's with the ads?

Homeschoolmom3

Foreign Exchange student- experiences & help

My son really wants to do this his senior year (next year).  We are working on the application and wondering if anyone has any feedback, advice, experience in the process or if a child has participated in the government program?  We are hoping more for the summer program and not the year program not sure if he is ready for that maybe a gap year after he graduates.  His focus is Arabic he has had 3 yrs. online school, done an immersion program this summer with Startalk which he loved....and is in his career ambitions...thanks for your help!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Homeschoolmom3 said:

Anyone?  😞

I've participated in a lot of foreign student exchange programs from many different angles (student, host, chaperone), but I have no idea what 'the government program' is, or how it might work,or anything about the application - and I have no experience with Arabic-speaking countries - where I'm guessing your ds would be headed?  Do you have any more general questions?  What country or countries is he thinking of heading to?  Will he stay with a host family, live in a dorm, attend a local school or some kind of language institute run by the US govt (since this is a govt program?)  

Sorry, guess I should have been more clear.  😉  NSLI-Y is what he is looking to and hoping to get in.  Do you know of any other organizations for studying abroad for Arabic?  He is focusing on Jordan or Morocco. 

44 minutes ago, Homeschoolmom3 said:

Sorry, guess I should have been more clear.  😉  NSLI-Y is what he is looking to and hoping to get in.  Do you know of any other organizations for studying abroad for Arabic?  He is focusing on Jordan or Morocco. 

Yeah, sorry, I have no clue.  😕  That's why I hadn't responded earlier, as I thought it was likely the case that my experiences didn't overlap much with his interests...  Hopefully someone else knows more than me??  At least your thread is bumped! 😉

ETA: I know there are at least a few posters on the boards who have lived in Arabic countries and speak Arabic.  Maybe add "Arabic" to your title above - they may not think to look in here?

Edited by Matryoshka

I found quite a bit of info/posts on College Confiential. Try the following search on G00gle:

site:collegeconfidential.com "NSLI-Y" "arabic"

The site is clunky & ugly after a redo, but there should be additional info there. From what I remember, it is hard to get into.

• Like 1