Menu

Campbell Biology 9th edition, 2 different books

Both are 9th editions. One looks more like high school level, https://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Biology-Concepts-Connections-9th/dp/013429601X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=campbell+biology+9th+edition&qid=1568094386&s=gateway&sr=8-1, but the intro says it's for non-majors, so it can be used in college. The other, maybe college bio majors or AP class, https://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Biology-9th-Jane-Reece/dp/0321558235/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=campbell+biology+9th+edition&qid=1568094386&s=gateway&sr=8-2, correct?

Am I understanding this correctly? If DD plans on taking the AP, we should get the one with the flower on the cover, and if she doesn't, then the red panda, right?

My go to for questions like this was the textbook list for a local, highly selective, $50K/year college-prep school. I figure if it works for them...   🙂

I think you've got it right.  I looked up AP Bio, bec. my dd will be doing it this year.  Here's the Campbell text they use: Campbell Biology AP Edition (sunflower)
Turns out the local hybrid uses the same text for AP Bio, so she'll take it at the hybrid.

Here's the Campbell text they use for regular/Honors biology:  Campbell Essential Biology with Physiology, which happens to be what my dd used for bio at the community college the summer of 10th grade.

ETA: Just checked the other, local, $50k+ college-prep high school... They use the same text for AP Bio and this text for regular (not listed as honors) bio.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, yvonne said:

My go to for questions like this was the textbook list for a local, highly selective, $50K/year college-prep school. I figure if it works for them...   🙂

I think you've got it right.  I looked up AP Bio, bec. my dd will be doing it this year.  Here's the Campbell text they use: Campbell Biology AP Edition (sunflower)
Turns out the local hybrid uses the same text for AP Bio, so she'll take it at the hybrid.

Here's the Campbell text they use for regular/Honors biology:  Campbell Essential Biology with Physiology, which happens to be what my dd used for bio at the community college the summer of 10th grade.

ETA: Just checked the other, local, $50k+ college-prep high school... They use the same text for AP Bio and this text for regular (not listed as honors) bio.

Yet all have staggering prices. 

So for the first bio class I would think every other Campbell book other than the sunflower book or current edition of it.

But if it's a first study of high school bio, the red panda one seems fine to use. But this won't be adequate for the AP, if we just use a non-AP book.

Thanks for all the links Yvonne! 

When I taught at a community college, we used the first part of Concepts and Connections for the semester of molecular biology for the pre-health science students.  In the 5 years that I taught, I had 3 different editions of the book. There is almost no content change between them - end of chapter questions are changed and sometimes the chapters are reorganized a little bit.  I always told students to use whatever edition they wanted and just find the section that matched the content that we were talking about.  While new details are being discovered all the time, at the level of an introductory class there is very little change in the understanding of mitosis or the parts of the cell.  

Campbell Bio is a hard core book.  We used it in my college bio for majors although we didn't cover everything, but when I look at the degree programs at many big colleges now, they don't require the course that uses that book, even for bio majors.  I don't know how the books line up with the AP exam, which was rewritten a few years ago.  I have a former student who got a 3 after taking my class (that uses Miller and Levine, so not intended to be AP prep - the parts that we covered were thorough enough, although not everything that we discussed was in the book) and then self-studying while using an AP prep guide.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Both are 9th editions. One looks more like high school level, https://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Biology-Concepts-Connections-9th/dp/013429601X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=campbell+biology+9th+edition&qid=1568094386&s=gateway&sr=8-1, but the intro says it's for non-majors, so it can be used in college. The other, maybe college bio majors or AP class, https://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Biology-9th-Jane-Reece/dp/0321558235/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=campbell+biology+9th+edition&qid=1568094386&s=gateway&sr=8-2, correct?

Am I understanding this correctly? If DD plans on taking the AP, we should get the one with the flower on the cover, and if she doesn't, then the red panda, right?

Campbell's Concepts & Connections text (as well as the Essential Biology text) were designed for non-majors college classes, although they are also used in honors-level HS classes. Campbell Biology was designed for AP classes and bio majors. Prentice Hall also used to publish a terrific high school level text by Campbell called Biology: Exploring Life, but after Campbell died they did one more edition and then abandoned it in favor of the Miller Levine HS text.

• Like 1

To add to the the confusion, our local dc option uses Biology in Focus, which is a trimmed-down (900 page) book for majors that de-emphasizes memorization. They have a non-major course, but I've never heard of the book.

We used and really liked the Exploring Life (along with the similarly named Hoagland book Exploring the Way Life Works) for an advanced middle school course.

ETA- I've done a side by side comparison for some of the regular Campbell editions, and there is almost no difference between the 8th and the 9th. We were looking at an online class that used the 9th, and the teacher said the 8th edition we owned was fine. The page numbers are different, and there's some difference in the end of section questions, but even those are very similar.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Thanks 1