Menu

when DH is away...

ktgrok

Katie will learn to use a pole saw 🙂

The kids were complaining that their play area in the back yard was "gloomy" and "creepy" due to the trees and bushes overhanging everything. Not to mention that the mosquitoes love all that growth. So....first I grabbed some loppers and took down some low branches on the big trees. Then I remembered we had a pole saw. And so I took more branches off. And then I just went for it and took down the smallest tree in the corner of the yard that DH had mentioned needed to go. Mind you, i've never done any pruning really before, but I did see an episode of Ask This Old House recently where they cut down a tree, so that makes me qualified, right?

Thankfully, it all went well. One branch did end up in the neighbor's yard, and it kind of landed on the fence which made me nervous for a minute, but otherwise it was fine. Oh, and I realized that there is probably a reason tree trimmers wear pants and long sleeves instead of a bathing suit like I was wearing - I did get pretty itchy from the pollen or bugs or something. 

When DH called tonight I told him I cut down the tree. he was like, "you mean you pruned it, right?"

Nope. Cut it. He just sighed. 

YLXUzmqhQNqi8QpMpzmk%Q.jpg

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 18
  • Haha 9

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I love that you did that in a bathing suit. That's totally how I would have done it. Spur of the moment. Okay, that tree is going right now, no time to change!

Exactly! 

My 20 year old came out and lectured me for 20 minutes about safety, etc. Finally I said "are you just going to lecture me or are you going to help? Cause there are branches to be carried and moved!" 

• Haha 9

11 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I see a successful tree downing and a horse!  Man your dog is big 😆

LOL. He's super tall, but only 68lbs. But yes, sometimes a bit horse like. I actually love how tall he is as I can easily grab his collar if need be, without bending down. But he had to be taught not to counter surf quickly, as our counters are snoot height on him, lol. 

21 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

At this rate with your yard I see an AM gardening show or podcast in your future. You're like the Lady of the Lawn lately! 

I may or may not have an instagram account with the name Reel Lawn Lady 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol. That reminds me of the time I accidentally demolished the kids' bathroom while 7 months pregnant dh was out of town. It started with peeking under the bathroom carpet (ew! who puts carpet in a bathroom!) and behind the plastic shower wall liner (caulked sheets of it) to see what kind of tile was there.  

In my defense, I discovered a leak and totally saved us for a major disaster, but dh was not pleased when he got home.  He did finish tiling the floor and shower before the baby was born, though!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

Lol. That reminds me of the time I accidentally demolished the kids' bathroom while 7 months pregnant dh was out of town. It started with peeking under the bathroom carpet (ew! who puts carpet in a bathroom!) and behind the plastic shower wall liner (caulked sheets of it) to see what kind of tile was there.  

In my defense, I discovered a leak and totally saved us for a major disaster, but dh was not pleased when he got home.  He did finish tiling the floor and shower before the baby was born, though!

That is SO something I'd do. Especially when pregnant - that makes the "do it now" factor even higher!

My last episode of this kind of accidental thing was I tried to replace some sprinkler heads and ended up redoing the entire irrigation system over several weeks of hand digging trenches and laying pipe, then killed off the old grass, tilled the yard, planted new grass, etc etc. I'm now obsessed with my lawn. All because of some sprinkler heads. 

• Like 1

I do stuff like that all the time, lol. I was trimming some pencil bushes and looked over at the ugly, giant azalea bush. It needed a trim, too...next thing I know, all that's left is a stump.  😂 DH steps outside to see what I'm up to, then just walks back inside. (For the record, I was a straggly, hideous bush, and now it's leafed out all pouffy and cute!)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Farrar said:

You're definitely keeping it weird for the neighbors.

8 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I should have clarified that I was cutting down a tree in my bathing suit, but in the back yard, behind a privacy fence 🙂

And in central Florida, that wouldn't begin to qualify as weird. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Lol. That reminds me of the time I accidentally demolished the kids' bathroom while 7 months pregnant dh was out of town. It started with peeking under the bathroom carpet (ew! who puts carpet in a bathroom!) 

Our two main floor bathrooms are both carpeted. Someday that'll change....

I did something like this except it was to remove the door between the kitchen and the garage while DH was out of town.

My mistake was the door I got was a few inches too short. I couldn't put the old door back for a couple of reasons but the new one left gaps. And I couldn't get the right size without special ordering it ... which would have taken a month or more & borrowing a truck.

I had to eat crow when DH came home. A couple of days later, he cut a 2x4 to stick under it, finished installing it, and made extra big trim to cover my problem. I love him. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Uh Huh.

Bill

To be fair I did search for a youtube video on how to use the pole saw. Ufnortuantly, I got bored and skipped to the middle. Betting that skipped part had the info on using oil, lol. Now I have to google how to oil the thing. 

• Haha 2

So today I hauled it all to the curb. I hadn't done it before today because i didn't want it sitting on my new grass for any length of time, lol. And let me tell you, cutting the tree down was fun. Cleaning it all up was NOT fun. I was racing daylight as my plan to do it in the afternoon got rained out. I ended up finishing in the dark, with the mosquitoes. But all that physical labor made my chronic SI joint pain feel better. For whatever reason, if I am out digging trenches or hauling logs my back is fine. if I don't, it' hurts. 

However, my hand hurts a bit (where I had the synovitis earlier this year). So poop. 

IMG_5018.JPG

• Like 1