Menu

Let my dd use an Index Card for Chemistry?

My dd is taking Chemistry at a local co-op. Class is very organized, and we are fans of Apologia for her.

The teacher said that the kids can take their tests (which are taken at home) open-book or closed book and that it is up to the parent.  My daughter will be taking hers closed-book because I don't think that is reality to let high schoolers take their tests open-book.  

However, my daughter did ask if she could have an index card with formulas and conversions....

Should I let her do that?  And if so, should she get one card for the entire year or one for each Unit?  

She is not a future STEM major and will likely have only one Science class in college, and she will be sure to sign up for the easiest one they have.  🙂

That's completely up to you and depends on the test. If the test is designed to test memoriziation, then obviously notes/cards/books make no sense. If the test is designed to test conceptual understanding and application of problem solving, I see no harm in a card.

FWIW, we give our students in the introductory physics classes a sheet with equations to use on their exams, because the point of the class is not memorizing equations, but understanding concepts and applying the equations. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, regentrude said:

That's completely up to you and depends on the test. If the test is designed to test memoriziation, then obviously notes/cards/books make no sense. If the test is designed to test conceptual understanding and application of problem solving, I see no harm in a card.

FWIW, we give our students in the introductory physics classes a sheet with equations to use on their exams, because the point of the class is not memorizing equations, but understanding concepts and applying the equations. 

Ok, that makes sense!   What should I say are her limits for what's allowed on the card?  

1 minute ago, Calming Tea said:

Ok, that makes sense!   What should I say are her limits for what's allowed on the card?  

whatever she can fit.

Honestly, writing a card or entire sheet is a brilliant way to encourage synthesis and analysis of information. In college, we were allowed one letter size sheet in our physics classes, with anything we wanted on it. We spent a lot of time constructing our sheets, and it was the most valuable way to review and study.

• Like 10

You know, I never thought of it that way. IN high school AP physics we were allowed a card, but mine was super haphazard.  I barely got a B 🙂 Maybe if I had considered it a bit more I would have had a better grade ! LOL

Should she get one card for the whole year or one card each unit...sorry to be asking so many questions!

Many years ago when I was in public high school, we were allowed to have the 1-page periodic table of elements, and we were allowed to write whatever notes we wanted on that 1 page of paper to have on the desk with us while taking the test. As the teacher rightfully thought -- outlining and notetaking onto that 1 piece of paper was really another learning opportunity. 😉

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I was allowed an index card in High School chem. It really is a wonderful study tool.  I didn’t end up using it much on the day, but making it was great.

Most of my law school exams were open book.  If the exam is requires synthesis of information, all the books in the world won’t help if you don’t already understand the material.  But it is nice to be able to double check a detail or two. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 4:13 PM, regentrude said:

whatever she can fit.

Honestly, writing a card or entire sheet is a brilliant way to encourage synthesis and analysis of information. In college, we were allowed one letter size sheet in our physics classes, with anything we wanted on it. We spent a lot of time constructing our sheets, and it was the most valuable way to review and study.

This is what I did in my college stats class and it was The. Best. way to study!

• Like 2