Menu

My kid echolocates

Terabith

Cat has a cold.  She was complaining about her ears and nose being plugged up. "I have no idea where anything is. It's super disorienting." What the heck? "Yeah, you know how you hear the vibrations? I can't hear where anything is, and I keep bumping into things." Uh.... Turns out that's why she doesn't like sports with balls. Her eyes are too slow to find the ball, and the balls are too small to have a reliable echo.

We are raising a bat. I'm not sure whether to be disturbed or impressed that our kid navigates the world via echolocation.

She also hears light bulbs and is convinced the refrigerator in the library at school is haunted because it makes weird noises nobody else can hear.  She commented tonight that she thinks everyone in the house except for her is deaf.  I said, "You echolocate and you hear light bulbs.  By your standards, we ARE all deaf."  (Plus, her older sister and myself are basically incapable of filtering out background noise, so if there's anything at all going on, we do tend to get very loud.)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Lol! My older kiddo hears everything, but I am pretty sure he doesn't echolocate. That's cool.

That is also a potential VT red flag, lol! 

Yeah.  We had a long saga of driving two hours each way for vision therapy for nine months, at the cost of thousands of dollars and a legit case of ptsd with absolutely no progress and a therapist who told us if we quit, she would wind up as a juvenile delinquent.  

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Terabith said:

Yeah.  We had a long saga of driving two hours each way for vision therapy for nine months, at the cost of thousands of dollars and a legit case of ptsd with absolutely no progress and a therapist who told us if we quit, she would wind up as a juvenile delinquent.  

Oh, I didn't remember that. Sorry. 

She seems to have some novel coping skills though! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

So have you had her eyes checked by a developmental optometrist? It's normal to have a sense ramp up if another input is not working well. 

Yeah, we've had her checked twice.  She's definitely crunchy, but both developmental optometrists were batshit insane and possibly serial killers on the weekends.  I'm unwilling to drive more than two hours each way, and she now has legit, full on, vision therapy PTSD.  Her convergence is fine though.  It seems like her issues are more in the visual memory sort of realm.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, we've had her checked twice.  She's definitely crunchy, but both developmental optometrists were batshit insane and possibly serial killers on the weekends.  I'm unwilling to drive more than two hours each way, and she now has legit, full on, vision therapy PTSD.  Her convergence is fine though.  It seems like her issues are more in the visual memory sort of realm.  

I forgot that, sorry! LOL Or visual processing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

Her convergence is fine though. 

Okay, total aside, but the ball thing made me think convergence was a problem given my son's issues.

So, the copying and losing place that came up on the other thread--it's due to retained reflexes that make your hand follow your eyes or your eyes follow your hand...something like that. Again, probably ATNR and STNR. I wonder if she's losing the ball with sports because she's moving her hands, and then her eyes move too...anyway, if you fix the losing place stuff, she might find sports with balls more do-able.

I am totally curious now if this comes up when she's doing other things with her hands--crafts, chores, etc. But don't feel like you have to answer. She'd have to want to do therapy--no PTSD suggested! 🙂 

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

Okay, total aside, but the ball thing made me think convergence was a problem given my son's issues.

So, the copying and losing place that came up on the other thread--it's due to retained reflexes that make your hand follow your eyes or your eyes follow your hand...something like that. Again, probably ATNR and STNR. I wonder if she's losing the ball with sports because she's moving her hands, and then her eyes move too...anyway, if you fix the losing place stuff, she might find sports with balls more do-able.

I am totally curious now if this comes up when she's doing other things with her hands--crafts, chores, etc. But don't feel like you have to answer. She'd have to want to do therapy--no PTSD suggested! 🙂 

It's hard to tell with sports, because she is, and always has been, pathologically opposed to anything remotely competitive.  So there's a complete lack of interest in ball sports as well as possible issues.  She does fine with crafts and chores, at least as far as I've noticed.  She can sew, cook, sweep, draw.  She learned how to knit, but she found it boring so hasn't made anything since the first small blanket.  I actually hadn't noticed any particular lack of coordination with ball sports (beyond what would be expected due to a profound lack of practice), but that's how she expressed it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...