Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW37: 52 Books Bingo - Medical/Legal Thrillers

Robin M

I have the flu so could one of you please link the threads. Going back to bed. Thanks

Our next 52 Books Bingo category is Medical and Legal Thrillers. Medical thrillers may involve a mysterious disease such as Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain or center around doctors or medical personnel such as in Robin Cook's Coma. Legal thrillers center around lawyers and judges, legal issues, and courtroom drama such as John Grisham's The Firm or Brad Meltzer's The Tenth Justice.

The International Thriller Writers society has published several short story anthologies including Thrillers: 100 Must Reads and is a great source for writers who write all types of thrillers. Another great source is Crime Reads.

10 Best Legal Thrillers That Bring the Courtroom Drama according to Celedon Books.

ABA Journal's Pick for the Top 10 Law Novels of the Last 10 Years

BestThrillers.com The 21 Best Legal Thrillers of the 21st Century, Ranked

10 Legal Thrillers on Alafair Burke’s Bookshelf

Pinterest list of Medical Thrillers

Crimereads 9 Great Medical Thrillers chosen by a physician and the Enduring Power of the Medical Thriller.

Mystery Sequels Medical Thriller authors and Legal Thriller authors.

Amazon New Releases - Legal Thrillers and Medical Thrillers

Indian Prairie Public Library All Time Faves: Medical Thrillers

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

I just finished the pre-release copy of Rachael Denholland's new book, What is a Girl Worth?  This is her story of breaking the silence and exposing the truth about Larry Nassar and the USA Gymnastics.  It is set for release on Sept 10.  It is a powerful book that details her experiences and also details how such crimes can go on for decades.  This is an excellent book for survivors to read and I also wrote a brief review on it for my blog which focuses on hope and healing for the unseen victims of sex offenders.

Church leaders, community leaders, medical stuff, parents, and teachers.....OK, EVERYONE...can benefit from this book.  I even feel it would be empowering to older teens.  Boys can also be victims and I see that this book could be very helpful to them as there seems to be even less support for male victims of sex offenders.

I won't say it is an easy read, esp. if this hits close to home for you or someone you love, but it gets a solid 5 stars from me.....and a box of Kleenex.

• Like 10

Robin, may you kick this thing to the curb quickly and feel better soon!

Finished: Glasser's Choice Theory. Some good stuff; some stuff I am not endorsing.

Reading:  When a Secret Kills by Lynette Eason. This occupies my mind in an entertaining way which is what I need right now.  For a medical thriller I could re-read "The Cradle will Fall" by Higgins Clark. This was one of her best books IMHO. But if "The Tenth Justice" is on my overdrive, I will check it out.

Audiobooks:  Almost done with "The Dead Sea Cipher" by Peters. Also entertaining but not as funny and suspenseful as the Peabody series

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

I just finished the pre-release copy of Rachael Denholland's new book, What is a Girl Worth?  This is her story of breaking the silence and exposing the truth about Larry Nassar and the USA Gymnastics.  It is set for release on Sept 10.  It is a powerful book that details her experiences and also details how such crimes can go on for decades.  This is an excellent book for survivors to read and I also wrote a brief review on it for my blog which focuses on hope and healing for the unseen victims of sex offenders.

Church leaders, community leaders, medical stuff, parents, and teachers.....OK, EVERYONE...can benefit from this book.  I even feel it would be empowering to older teens.  Boys can also be victims and I see that this book could be very helpful to them as there seems to be even less support for male victims of sex offenders.

I won't say it is an easy read, esp. if this hits close to home for you or someone you love, but it gets a solid 5 stars from me.....and a box of Kleenex.

Thank you for posting this.  I will definitely be reading it.  Also I went over to you blog and it is really well done.👏

I have been busy exploring Robin’s links.  They are particularly great this week as I love both Legal and Medical thrillers......I have found several new to me books and my lists and hold’s are overflowing (as usual, but I have great new stuff).😉

I have been reading my Fred Vargas (last month’s mystery author)  very slowly and hope to finish it soon.  I started a new release called Save Me from Dangerous Men and can’t make up my mind about it.  On one hand the main character is a cool owner of a used bookstore with an encyclopedic knowledge of books which is so fun,  on the other she is a violent, really excessively violent PI.  Not sure if I will be picking this one back up.  I have several other good books in my Kindle stack.

Due to not wanting to read Save Me at bedtime I started my Faith Hunter reread last night.  I had forgotten so many wonderful parts of Skinwalker and I am only a few pages in.  One thing I particularly enjoy about paranormal urban fantasy worlds is the mythology which makes them and their world exist.  This book just cracked me up because apparently the reason that witches and vampires are out of the main society is that Marilyn Monroe was one and attacked JFK!  The Secret Service was forced to kill her........🤣

I have several audiobooks checked out including the first in this month’s detective series featuring Darko Dawson.  I need to find time to listen.

• Like 7

Robin, I hope that you feel better very soon. 

I'm slowly able to read again. Slowly getting back into it. Thank you all for your prayers and kind thoughts. I just received a book seat thing that I've seen on amazon and that a friend recommended to me. This has been one of my best purchases in the longest while. I wish that I'd gotten it sooner. I can read while lying down and I don't need to use my hands other than when turning a page, or touching my Kindle screen.

• Like 8

I’m participating in a reading challenge on a different site, which is why I’m more verbose than usual.

For Judge a Book By Its Cover Week –

The cover of Anhaga by Lisa Henry shows a raven with a tower, castle, and other buildings superimposed upon it; it's quite eye-catching.

This story is set in a medieval type world where magic (hedgewitches, sorcerers, and necromancers, oh my!) is commonplace and the fae are feared. Our hero is Min, a man of few coins and questionable morals, who comes to the rescue of his adopted nephew when he is caught bedding a young noblewoman. Harry, the nephew, is cursed and will die within weeks if Min does not carry out a task. That task is to travel to Anhaga to retrieve a young hedgewitch, Kazimir, who did not return home after his apprenticeship. Once home, Kaz will be forced to marry his uncle and bow to the will of his evil grandfather. Min can either save his nephew or Kaz but not both. I really liked this story and recommend it. (Adult content)

I also reread SK Dunstall's Alliance once again.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Some bookish posts ~

Jo Walton’s Reading List: August 2019

https://www.tor.com/2019/09/04/jo-waltons-reading-list-august-2019/

TTT: Books which make me appreciate nature more

https://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2019/07/ttt-books-which-make-me-appreciate.html

8 Grown-Up Novels with Animal Narrators

https://electricliterature.com/8-grown-up-novels-with-animal-narrators/

9 books designers should read in 2019

https://www.fastcompany.com/90282976/9-books-designers-should-read-in-2019

One blogger's list:  Best Book Club Selections of 2018

https://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2019/01/best-book-club-selections-of-2018.html

Currently free for Kindle readers, today only ~

The Marble Faun: Or, The Romance of Monte Beni Kindle Edition by Nathaniel HawthornE

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

5 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Thank you for posting this.  I will definitely be reading it.  Also I went over to you blog and it is really well done.👏

Thank you.  I am not a gifted writer but there was NOTHING out there for women and families left behind by a sex offender.  Feel free to share the link if you ever come across anyone in a similar situation.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Get well soon Robin! (Note to self: flu shots pronto...)

This week I finished The Complete Works of St. Francis and St. Clare, chosen from my stacks at atmospheric random by Middle Girl (10x10 category "Plucked from the Air"). These two saints worked tirelessly and accomplished much, but didn't write very much, so quite a lot of the book is historical background, explanations, discussions of determination of authenticity, etc. An interesting point is that, while the one Franciscan writing that he definitely didn't write is the famous "Prayer of St. Francis" ("Make me a channel of your peace..."), our most certainly authentic writing of St. Francis is a series of rebukes of sinners, particularly those who don't show adequate reverence to the liturgy and to the holy vessels used at Mass; these are not the aspects of the faith most usually associated with Franciscans.

The writings of St. Clare are even fewer, but include her Rule, which has a list of days when the Poor Sisters are to receive Communion which I found personally helpful, as I've been uneasy lately with the "Communion at every Mass" approach usual even among Traditionalists. It feels like Clare herself tapped me on the shoulder and whispered, "Why fret? Just commune on these days of the year, and let the rest go."

Middle Girl picked a new book for me, which is underway: W. M. Thackeray's Vanity Fair. Also have Guillaume Apollinaire's selected poems (thank you Robin! Hey, this is the time to see if Apollinaire makes more sense when you have a fever); and perhaps the time has come to try Proust at last. He started out publishing Symbolist pieces in the journal Le Banquet (sort of a French version of The Yellow Book), so maybe I could count him for my Symbolists/Surrealists category. Anyway the Moncrieff translation of Swann's Way is in my car, just in case.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

I have read The Martian, and enjoyed it very much.  I might have to look at the audible.  I also downloaded Wolf Lost. It's on kindle unlimited right now. 😉

The Martian had a great narrator. You know it's a good audiobook when you arrive at your destination but keep listening anyway.

I'll be curious to know what you think of Wolf Lost. (Did I mention it is a male/male romance?)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I forgot to mention a couple of finishes for last week that might be of interest.......

The Rosie Result https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42940508-the-rosie-result which is the third book in the Don Tillman/Rosie Project series.  I was not a fan of the second book although I adored the first,  that adoration forced me to give the third book a try.  I have to say I enjoyed it.......honestly you could probably skip the second. 😉

The Black Shepherdhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44140356-the-black-shepherd this book is set partially in Estonia.......need I say more?  Brexit Special 10X10 category almost done!  Seriously this book is apparently part of a larger series which I did not realize in my Estonia excitement until I was part way through.  Not for everyone, it’s gritty dealing with dark prostitution/ underage issues.   That said I might read another in the series at some point.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 7

Some bookish posts ~

3 ANIMAL MEMOIRS TO MAKE YOUR HEART SING, WINNY, AND WOOF

https://bookriot.com/2019/09/01/animal-memoirs/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CYS - 9619&utm_term=BookRiot_CheckYourShelf

Time-Hopping Through 5 Fantasy Londons

https://www.tor.com/2019/09/03/time-hopping-through-5-fantasy-londons/comment-page-1/#comment-825012

20 MUST-READ BOOKS ABOUT DISEASE, BEING SICK, AND THE HISTORY OF MEDICINE

https://bookriot.com/2019/09/09/books-about-disease/

AN EXPAT’S 5 FAVORITE BOOKS ABOUT EXPAT LIFE

https://bookriot.com/2019/09/08/books-about-expat-life/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Currently free Kindle book for one day only ~

The Land of Little Rain by Mary Austin

From the Inside Flap

"Between the high Sierras south from Yosemite--east and south over a very great assemblage of broken ranges beyond Death Valley, and on illimitably into the Mojave Desert" is the territory that Mary Austin calls the Land of Little Rain. In this classic collection of meditations on the wonders of this region, Austin generously shares "such news of the land, of its trails and what is astir in them, as one lover of it can give to another." Her vivid writings capture the landscape--from burnt hills to sun-baked mesas--as well as the rich variety of plant and animal life, and the few human beings who inhabit the land, including cattlemen, miners, and Paiute Indians. This Modern Library Paperback Classic is set from the original 1903 edition.

Also FREE, these LGBT romances ~

Driving into the Sun by Dev Bentham

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 3

I have a couple of really good books in progress........The first is Medusa Uploaded https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36245705-medusa-uploaded which I think is somehow a recommendation from BaW.  When Dd saw the cover there was a little squeal because it’s being talked about as great on her media! 😂So once again any cool mom vibes I have come from you guys.  Obviously she plans to read it because these are like Murderbot per Dd.  I guess they are in the sense that I am really involved with this character......

I have also been listening to Wife of the Gods https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6105001-wife-of-the-gods?ac=1&from_search=truewhich is the first book in the Darko Dawson series.  This is another of those books I never would have found without Robin’s monthly detective challenge.  The character is good, the narration is well done.  I totally plan to keep listening to these!

• Like 6

12 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I have a couple of really good books in progress........The first is Medusa Uploaded https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36245705-medusa-uploaded which I think is somehow a recommendation from BaW.  When Dd saw the cover there was a little squeal because it’s being talked about as great on her media! 😂So once again any cool mom vibes I have come from you guys.  Obviously she plans to read it because these are like Murderbot per Dd.  I guess they are in the sense that I am really involved with this character......

I am happy to take the credit. Here's what I wrote on August 1:

"Yesterday I finished Medusa Uploaded by Emily Devenport which I enjoyed. I'm not sure though if I will continue on with the next book in the series. (Significant violence)

This book reminded me a bit of the Murderbot stories (but with less snark). Music and (to a lesser degree) movies play a BIG role in the story. @JennW in SoCal, this might interest you. "

Interesting that your daughter also mentioned a Murderbot connection.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I am happy to take the credit. Here's what I wrote on August 1:

"Yesterday I finished Medusa Uploaded by Emily Devenport which I enjoyed. I'm not sure though if I will continue on with the next book in the series. (Significant violence)

This book reminded me a bit of the Murderbot stories (but with less snark). Music and (to a lesser degree) movies play a BIG role in the story. @JennW in SoCal, this might interest you. "

Interesting that your daughter also mentioned a Murderbot connection.

Regards,

Kareni

Now I do remember.......I also think @JennW in SoCal would enjoy the music elements in this character.........she has a constant stream of music playing in her mind thanks to an implant.  She is able to alter them depending on her situation.  I think Jenn would enjoy seeing the composers that the character chooses..........so far I haven’t seen any of the movies but actually know a few of the pieces of music.

I have put a request in for my library to purchase the second book in the series.......I could only request an audiobook on Overdrive.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I have put a request in for my library to purchase the second book in the series...

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the second book. I've also requested my library purchase it.

Are you still reading Anne Cleeland's Acton and Doyle series? A new book is just out ~ Murder in the Blood (The Doyle & Acton Murder Series Book 10)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the second book. I've also requested my library purchase it.

Are you still reading Anne Cleeland's Acton and Doyle series? A new book is just out ~ Murder in the Blood (The Doyle & Acton Murder Series Book 10)

Regards,

Kareni

I haven’t actually finished the first Medusa yet.......I am just enthusiastic!  I am back to sewing so listening to a new audiobook right now, that might be abandoned so will wait for here.

I think I left off on Acton and Doyle around Book 5 because of supply issues.  Here’s the saga..........For some reason Overdrive (or at least my Overdrive) does not show the later books as even existing so I waited for awhile to see if that would change.  I have never had a relatively popular book that is published as kindle not show on Overdrive as a choice to recommend.  So the whole thing is just weird.  I plan to fill out the request forms at my physical library now that I am somewhat stationary.....they own one of the later ones along with the early’s and see if they buy them.  If not I will probably buy them.........my irritation is I read half thanks to the library and like to own complete series.......

Also thanks for today’s links......I plan to download both as I read Patricia Rice occasionally also.

• Like 4

She's alive.  Thanks for all the well wishes.  We have the stomach flu run through our house and it's the gift that keeps on giving. Just when you think you're better,  fever hits and energy fades or it's the porcelain express all over again.  More than you wanted to know, I bet.  It's knocked all three of us for a loop and John was well enough to go to work today, although I think he's regretting it at this point with more house stress.   Nesting with fluffy romance reads - Roxanne St. Claire's Barefoot bay series and watching you tube videos with James.  Learning more than I ever wanted to know about Zelda Games and Star Wars Theory.😀

• Like 7

@mumto2 Thank you for posting the link to the two threads.    I find something new every time I read Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series or Soulwood.  Loved the bit about Marilyn Monroe.

@Kareni  Love the links. Thank you!   Are you doing the What's in a name challenge? Sounds like one Bethfishreads used to host. 

@Liz CAAdding Dead Sea Cipher to my want list. Love those types of mysteries.

@Negin So glad to hear you are doing better!

@Ottakee Thanking for sharing your blog and experiences.  You are an amazing woman.  Hugs and wishes for continued strength.

@Mothersweets and @melmichigan and @Penguin Waving hi and hugs!

@Violet Crown  Ha! I missed checking out Apollinaire during my heated moments.  So glad you are checking out Proust. I really enjoyed Swann's Way and currently have In Shadow of Young Girls in Flower.  I took a class on Proust so was challenged to have my own Madeleine experience, in how a taste or smell can bring back so many memories. 

@PenHow are you enjoying your first Barbara Cornwell?

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Robin M said:

@Kareni  Love the links. Thank you!   

You are quite welcome.

13 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Are you doing the What's in a name challenge? Sounds like one Bethfishreads used to host. 

It's actually a challenge on a site that reviews primarily LGBT romances. If you'd like the link, let me know.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

For the Older or Younger Hero challenge from a different site:

I read Exit Plans for Teenage Freaks by 'Nathan Burgoine which was a quick and FUN read. The story takes place over a couple of weeks when Cole, who is about to graduate from high school, discovers that he can teleport. Cole is a game playing nerd (Onirim, anyone?) who has wonderful parents, a supportive teacher, and a diverse group of friends in his school Rainbow club. He has a crush on a fellow student, and there is someone who might be stalking him. This is a decidedly G rated romance; I'd recommend it to teens and adults.

Unrelated to the above, I read Murder in the Blood (The Doyle & Acton Murder Series Book 10) by Anne Cleeland which I quite enjoyed. This is a series that definitely needs to be read in order, so if interested begin with Murder in Thrall.

I also reread Confluence by SK Dunstall which I enjoyed once again.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Brit Tripping......... Most of this week’s photos were actually taken a year ago today according to my iPad because of this year’s trip being rather wet.......It chucked it down in local terms!  When IPad did it’s “would you like to see pictures from this day........” I decided it was telling me what today’s Brit Tripping was supposed to be about.  Not the most thrilling picture wise but hopefully someone will find it interesting!

Every summer we “cross” the Prime Meridian near Hull and visit the bird sanctuary at Spurn Point at least oncehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/england/sevenwonders/yorkshire/spurn/  We actually go to watch the seals now but our family started going when Wooly Mammoth bones were found on the point https://www.yas.org.uk/Sections/Prehistory-Research/Palaeolithic/Palaeolithic-Yorkshire-mammoth-and-other-ancient-elephant-finds  It’s actually a great place to find fossilized corals but we really haven’t had any great variety of fossils there.  To get to Spurn Point we have to go through Hull and take a series of smallish roads for about 45 minutes through several small villages.  We live close to the Prime Meridian https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Greenwich+Meridian+Trail  but the markers are not common, as in this is the only one I ever notice.  Maybe next summer Ds can do the trail or at least part of it. 😉

In the first picture is on the Humber ( Hull estuary side of Spurn Point) ,  I circled the roe deer which blended right in.  At high tide that grassy area is under water.  The second picture is the ocean side near where the mammoth tusk was found......windmills are off the coast, which I was apparently trying not to show!  I really dislike looking at the windmills which seem to be everywhere now!

C2DD4F1F-7B22-4A38-B224-CED0520334C1.jpeg

2ED2CBA8-D2FF-48ED-96BE-2D7EC3FA6238.jpeg

C4888A40-D88F-4F72-A796-FE14658EEF99.jpeg

2C912B50-100A-4B81-9C86-F651D5C2F6F6.jpeg

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 5

Oh, @RobinM, poor bunny. Glad you are feeling better. 

I finished Idyll Threats this week. Police procedural with some adult content. It zipped right along and left a few threads dangling in the background for the next book. 

Now I'm working on The Mere-Wife which is a modern retelling of Beowulf. It is heavy and a bit ... hazy (?) at points, so I'm reading it in bursts. I put my favorite children's version of Beowulf on hold so that I can refresh my memory of the original story. Perhaps that will help, I can tell I'm missing bits.

• Like 3