Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Critterfixer

Accountability Thread 9/8-9/14

Morning! Welcome to the second week of...well, we'll see what September turns out to be. So far it's been a continuance of August, but I plan to battle through undaunted.

Today's goals: I need to buy some curriculum today and schedule next week. It's fair week, and we have entries that have to go in tomorrow and Tuesday. There's a hair appointment on Wednesday, and that's the night we go to the fair, so it's going to be a bunch of running around. But for me, I want to maintain my collected sense of who I am and what I'm doing, and try to keep my temper. Having a daily list helps with that. Laundry to catch up on--DH forgot to do any yesterday.

I also want to work on characters today, and start reading for revision work on another story. Slow and steady.

• Like 1

We're also more-of-the-same than I'd like ... well, we'll try to keep working our way out of August! 

Critterfixer, I hope that the fair week goes well and that entries are successful & entrants have a good time.  Congratulations on being fair-ready 🙂 

Today: do less.  I was totally surprised to find that I'm missing Bible studies materials, so I think we'll wait to do the Memoria Press stuff until they arrive b/c I definitely need some hand-holding here.  I will do Ambleside Online-scheduled readings with the boys.  That, languages, math & piano are the basic school day.  Exercise esp. for elder DS; Pokemon this PM for younger; have some cooking to do, some cleaning, some garden stuff (make elder DS food; prep dinner before Pokemon so that it goes together fast when we get back; work on house, laundry, windows, boys' rooms, pantry; water stuff, maybe weed a bit, order some clover & daikon radish seeds for soil improvement).  Work on RPG character during Pokemon.  Plan week.  Try to begin reviewing Bible memory verses. 

That doesn't look like less but I hope it can be. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 2

Morning.  

I spent most of the weekend helping DH work on the car instead of doing the work around the house that I needed to get done.  That includes the planning and bookcase organization I needed to do 

but that’s ok because DH decided to call in sick.  🙄 *sigh*. I long ago gave up any attempt at school on days when DH is home.  

This has been a most disrupted and unproductive first 6 weeks and it’s really frustrating.  

• Like 2

Morning. Kids are doing school. I did some errands this morning early, and now I'm back to organize lunch, bake a cake, and get some writing done. Still dealing with the stress of August, but there's always light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Like 1

Today: languages & math; go over my term planning; figure out how to focus on Bible this week while meeting other goals and leaving some space in our schedule. 

Keep house going, do outside chores for sure, and breathe.  Tonight is role playing game night. 

ETA: well, term planning has provided a sanity check.  We aren't speedy but we're being pretty regular.  I need to go over this week again, then draft terms over the next year. 

• Like 1

I laid out my plan for the day.  I began to execute that plan.  And then I went off the rails lol.

Not terrible, the tasks are still getting done....just not in as timely a manner as I planned for 😁  I ran a couple of errands.  The primary goal was to test out the green van.  DH got it running again and it needed a good test drive since it had been sitting for like 2 months. 

Anyway, I got back and DH was all out of sorts.  Like, beyond I think just not feeling well.  Or maybe not, I dunno.  I suggested he take a nap, he was really resistant to the idea. But kept saying he was tired.  He mentioned that DD10 couldn't spell Curious George when she was searching for it and she was throwing a fit about it, and he was getting irritated and frustrated.  I wonder if he's bothered by the idea that a beginning 5th grader can't spell Curious.  Of course, if he is, I would remind him that the word curious is one of the more difficult words because not all the phonics rules are followed properly.  That -rious ending can really trip up anyone....shoot, I sometimes have to spell check it lol.  

Or maybe he really is just irritable because he didn't sleep well last night.  He's the kind of person that needs like a solid 12 to 14 hours of sleep.🤣  Ok, maybe not quite that much, but IMO, he needs more sleep than the average bear.  And when he doesn't sleep well, it sits badly with him.  (really, I think he's pretty obsessed with most of his bodily functions and when any one doesn't follow the right routine is messes up his whole system of the day lol.  )

Anyway, he's not sitting in the garage watching tv.  The kids are all inside either watching tv or playing video games, which I desperately want to quash, because they should be outside playing.  It's beautiful outside and it's going to get warmer later this week, plus we will be doing school, so I feel like we should take advantage of this weather and daddy imposed free day.  But then, getting them to go outside will cause much whining and DH hates to hear the whining, and after school the rest of this week we will probably take advantage of the late summer warmth to get a few more days of sprinkler time in.  

Plus, they have CHORES!  I am gonna ship them off to clean bathrooms now.  

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 11:54 AM, happysmileylady said:

I laid out my plan for the day.  I began to execute that plan.  And then I went off the rails lol.

I know this routine!  

Good on you for "lol!"  🙂  I think to myself that even though I have a Plan A & B & C, we tend to find ourselves way out on Plan X, flying by the seats of our pants....

We are up and, more or less, at 'em.  For today: bouts of cleaning, schooling, exercise for elder DS (who is NOT HAPPY about his new exercise-enriched life, but it is paying off health-wise: r+r+Upper+lower+ballet/yoga), keeping everybody fed, &c. 

Most important to hit today: math, languages (younger  G/L; elder G/L), piano (yyyT; eeeT -- that'll remind me to get three short practices + theory from both boys), science (younger/elder) & Bible (younger/elder).  Little guy wants to do fingerprint art, so we'll end with that; and I'd like to get a round of our English in for everybody but that'll be a stretch for sure. 

Also planning: revisit term, figure out terms going ahead.  I need to find maybe half an hour to spend on that.  And try to figure out how to get the necessary bits into the printer so it'll work again. 

• Like 1

Afternoon!

I woke up late *sigh*

DS6 is schooled.  DD10 is finishing up spelling and will be done for the day.  DD8....I don't know what we are going to end up actually getting done.

DH needs a med refill, but apparently there's some confusion.  So I have been trying to help him clear that up since he's at work.  It's eating into my day.

I want more hours.  

• Like 2

DD10 is schooled.  I haven't gotten anywhere with DD8.  I have given up for the day.  I might, if I get the energy later, try to have her to spelling at least.  Our spelling is pretty set up in terms of daily tasks and it messes up the system if we get behind.  And I really want to keep the girls on the same weeks for spelling.  

Anyway, med refill has been taken care of.  The meds are now out of sync again, but whatever.  

Tonight is Taco Tuesday, no cooking with kids, should be pretty easy.  

Right now, DS6 is taking his 20 minute turn with the Nintendo, the girls are working on their chores.  Then we will rotate out.

I need to get dishes in the dishwasher as soon as DD8 is done sweeping in the kitchen.

• Like 2

Afternoon! I've been busy (mostly on the phone) all day today, so no school. We dropped off horticulture at the fair today (bless them! I misread the hours and thought I could drop off at 7:00, and the actual hour was 9:00! They gave me a break) and then I ran the boys to MILs, and then I went to see a lawyer for a consultation on a contract. Then it was back home to call lawyers in another state about the same contract. One was rude. The other was very nice. Getting my legal headaches straightened out is going to feel so nice.

School tomorrow I hope. Writer's meeting tonight, and it will be so nice just to get away from the stress.

• Like 1

Morning!

I have tried to write this post 3 times.  Each time, stuff comes up.  One kid is showering, one kid is eating, one kid has breakfast in the works.  My 10yr old is reading *voluntarily*, while I am getting her breakfast regularly.  

Spelling didn't happen with DD8 yesterday.

I have skating down on the plans for today.  I don't feel like going.  I don't really want to go anywhere today.  It's supposed to be hot, maybe just turn on the sprinkler instead.  The kids need toothpaste....maybe I will order that online lol. 

• Like 2

Morning. Hot here too.

Today's work--boys didn't do school yesterday with all the running around I had to do, plus I was on the phone most of the day. So today they will do yesterday's work. I've sent an email this morning and plan to do character work and possibly some drafting. This afternoon, I have a hair appointment with the boys, and this evening is the fair. I fully expect to be cotton-candy frazzled by the end of the day. This week has been me on the road every day for one thing or another, and next week is the same. 

• Like 1

DS6 is fully schooled.  

Which is good because oh man the drama llama is alive and well in our school this morning.  DS6 kept writing letters and numbers backwards today.  Not on purpose, he just was.  Normally he only struggles with the B, D, and P, which are typical reversals.  But he was everywhere today.  

And DD10, oh man, she keeps twisting herself up in knots, grunting and moaning, etc etc.

And DD8 keeps telling me how much she hates school.

*sigh*  I am trying to send the drama llamas back to their stables.  

• Like 2

Evening!!!  We are doing okay today, things are getting chaotic with DH out of town and DS still ill (but getting slowly better, on average).  We did fairly minimal school so that I could start shifting our evenings earlier and get everybody to bed at a reasonable hour -- it's been running quite late here. 

That worked, more or less.  Also got elder DS to his aikido lesson & younger DS & I played a new game at Open Game Night while we waited.  On to bedtime routines, stories, straighten a bit (dishes are done BEFORE kids in bed tonight: hurrah!) and try to grade papers, prep tomorrow's work & catch a bit of exercise before I crash. 

Hoping you have more of the nicer-variety of lawyer, Critterfixer, and glad that one of them was friendly.  (I don't think I mentioned: one interesting aspect of my Church Disaster is that my pastor is a retired attorney and threatened to sue me for asking the elders to help us work through our conflict.  I definitely prefer kind lawyers, myself  😉  )

• Like 1

Morning!

I am giving up on the week.  Today is DD8 9's birthday, and we generally have a policy of not doing school on birthdays.  I had hoped that they had forgotten, and then DH reminded them last night.  *sigh*

We are going to at least try to make it to homeschool gym today.  But otherwise, I just don't care.  We will be doing some field trips next week, I am going to work to encourage lots of reading, I give up.  We will start over again  on the 23rd.  Friday the 27th, we will be driving up to Chicago, I will be planning some educational stuff to do for the trip up that will also help to keep them occupied so that can count as school.  And other than that, there should be nothing else to throw off our next six week schedule.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, serendipitous journey said:

Hoping you have more of the nicer-variety of lawyer, Critterfixer, and glad that one of them was friendly.  (I don't think I mentioned: one interesting aspect of my Church Disaster is that my pastor is a retired attorney and threatened to sue me for asking the elders to help us work through our conflict.  I definitely prefer kind lawyers, myself  😉  )

Me too! Actually, I just prefer reasonable people, whether they are lawyers, doctors, or gas station attendants. Those kind of things make me angry--I'd love to resolve everything myself, but I've got an unreasonable person to deal with, and that makes it really difficult.

But today, I have art! That means that for a few hours, I get to go be with reasonable people, playing in paint, and creating works of art they love with absolutely no judgement involved. Bliss!

The fair was a great success. The boy won some blue ribbons and he also got Reserve Grand Champion for one of his gourds. He's already eyeballing the tomatoes and peppers and thinking about buying more seeds. He's got his heart set on some ornamental corn, but we are kind of short on garden space for the size patch needed for good kernel production. 

• Like 1

@Critterfixer: congratulations to you son on the ribbons & prize!  🙂  and thank you for sharing the happy news.  

Here, we are focusing on shifting our days earlier and then I want to set us up to do a good chunk of history on Friday; perhaps some Bible.   Today is plowing through a lot of Greek with younger DS, online Latin for elder, some other school stuff then an afternoon break for lunch out and a grocery run.  Normally we don't do this on a "school day" but we need a R&R moment. 

After we get back with groceries I'd like to do some reading with each boy, piano and exercise, and get the house in order and exercise myself.  DH is due to return this PM on a delayed flight. 

I had a great conversation with the nicest person at Rainbow Resource; she was so encouraging and helped me find some free & usable Greek materials to help us. 

okay, here's a bulleted list to help me focus:

• younger DS school focus: Greek; science; Bible; poetry; Anki; piano; exercise: run & XBX
  • elder DS school focus: online class; Greek study session; literature; Bible; poetry; Anki; piano; exercise: run, weights, ballet/yoga
  • lunch out, grocery shop, pick up mulch & a few more soil retention plants at the nursery
  • groceries away, boys practice piano/do theory, do some reading in the later PM
  • exercise for me
  • straighten house, make dinner, get some planning time in if possible
  • Like 1

Morning!  (but barely)

Today we're all sick and we have piano lessons right after lunch.  So: minimalist schooling.   Languages, math, reading for everybody.  Bible too.  That plus piano will be good. 

For me: house stuff (keep clean); make sure we have fall clothes/find some reasonable shoes for myself; plan for next week/esp plan for work to do on Saturday; work on our Anki cards at piano lesson; exercise; find time to catch up with DH, who's been traveling. 

• Like 1

Evening! I took a day to rest. Yesterday was hard, but I think the trouble of a month and a half is over.  On to the next round of trouble. 😂

The boys did school today and did a good job taking care of themselves while I rested. Work tomorrow.

• Like 1