Menu

Plane Snacks for Braces

domestic_engineer

My kids were older when they got braces and they cheated all the time.  The just got good and breaking stuff up and not tearing off at their front teeth.  My oldest ate popcorn, nuts, chips, pretzels, gummy candy, raw carrots and apples, etc and broke 1 bracket in 2 1/2 years and always had gold stars for hygiene.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.  I know that can depend on your kid.  It's hard to chase around a 16 year old and tell them what to do so I just gave up.  It was fine.  LOL.  

The chex mix is a good one.  Sun chips are pretty safe.  You could pack a little bag with an ice pack and some cheese or yogurt and crackers.  Berries could work.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

My kids were older when they got braces and they cheated all the time.  The just got good and breaking stuff up and not tearing off at their front teeth.  My oldest ate popcorn, nuts, chips, pretzels, gummy candy, raw carrots and apples, etc and broke 1 bracket in 2 1/2 years and always had gold stars for hygiene.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.  I know that can depend on your kid.  It's hard to chase around a 16 year old and tell them what to do so I just gave up.  It was fine.  LOL.  

The chex mix is a good one.  Sun chips are pretty safe.  You could pack a little bag with an ice pack and some cheese or yogurt and crackers.  Berries could work.  

Yogurt would probably have to be bought inside security, though.

The thing about cheating is that a plane ride away from your orthodontist is maybe not a good place/time to risk it. Pirate's Booty is a good substitute for popcorn.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Yogurt would probably have to be bought inside security, though.

The thing about cheating is that a plane ride away from your orthodontist is maybe not a good place/time to risk it. Pirate's Booty is a good substitute for popcorn.

Good point on security.  We buy stuff like that beyond security and usually pack an empty water bottle too.  Pirates booty is a great idea and my kids love that too.

I definitely wouldn't try cheating for the first time when you're on a plane heading out of town.  I do think the restrictions are really over the top for many kids once they get the feel of braces in their mouth and how their bite has changed.

8 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Good point on security.  We buy stuff like that beyond security and usually pack an empty water bottle too.  Pirates booty is a great idea and my kids love that too.

I definitely wouldn't try cheating for the first time when you're on a plane heading out of town.  I do think the restrictions are really over the top for many kids once they get the feel of braces in their mouth and how their bite has changed.

I agree. My son was fairly young when he got braces. I don’t think he gave up eating anything, never broke a bracket, and to this day gets raves about his great dental hygiene which started when he got braces.

• Like 1

Eat a full meal inside the airport before the flight.  

Take little 2 or 3 oz individual packs of guacamole and spread them on wheat thins.  Freeze the guac the night before and put them in a baggie to thaw until ready to eat. 

How long is the flight?  I was on a 7 hour flight (due to a layover) a couple of weeks ago, and the sub before the flight and the guac and crackers in the middle of it got me through just fine.  I ate something on the other end after landing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

no nuts? DS did not get that as a braces restriction - I wonder if that varies between orthodontists? They just told him not to bite directly into apples, but slices were fine and no gummy candy or gum. 

We were told no nuts, no popcorn, no biting directly into hard fruits or vegetables, break up pretzels and chips, nothing chewy/gummy/sticky. They have a whole display on the wall with (empty) packages of Good foods and Bad foods.

OP, you may find a recipe for muffins or "breakfast cookies" with the nutrient profile you're looking for. Maybe something like this?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frances said:

Will they not provide any snacks on the plane? My husband and son always just ask for extras and eat them throughout the flight.

I'm sure there will be snacks provided, but I *may* be an over-planner.  What if we are stuck on the tarmac?  What if my kid doesn't like the snacks?  What if it's not braces-friendly?  What if we get stuck in the terminal waiting to board and the shops are closed?

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

no nuts? DS did not get that as a braces restriction - I wonder if that varies between orthodontists? They just told him not to bite directly into apples, but slices were fine and no gummy candy or gum. 

9 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

We were told no nuts, no popcorn, no biting directly into hard fruits or vegetables, break up pretzels and chips, nothing chewy/gummy/sticky. They have a whole display on the wall with (empty) packages of Good foods and Bad foods.

OP, you may find a recipe for muffins or "breakfast cookies" with the nutrient profile you're looking for. Maybe something like this?

Yup, the orthodontist said no nuts -- almonds and peanuts being the worst.  Our list is very similar to whitehawk's  list, with the exception of popcorn.  They told us "You can eat popcorn, but you'll be in for a lot of careful cleaning for days afterwards."  And as someone else pointed out, I really don't want to be finding an orthodontist to do repairs miles away from home.

Thanks, @whitehawk, for the breakfast cookies; that's a great idea that hadn't crossed my mind.

• Like 1