Menu

Need Science Class Help Fast!! XPOST

Hello Hive! So, it now looks like my whole year's science plan for DS (10th grade) is blown up because the class he is currently enrolled in is not meeting his needs. He is enrolled in Clover Creek Physics which is supposed to be introductory and conceptual but is turning out to be more mathy than he or I anticipated. It's really too bad because the labs look so fun and Jetta is really, really terrific. This is no reflection on her at all. I just can't see my DS, who is fine in math but doesn't like it, and who REALLY doesn't like science in general, going the whole year with so much problem solving and so many formulas/ equations attached to the "fun" lab parts for him. Again, the class is fine and Jetta is awesome! It's just been a slog these past few weeks for him and he is starting to dread science even more. So, what would you suggest?

Is there a way to do the conceptual physics course without as much math as Clover Creek? The book itself doesn't look tremendously mathy. I would still want labs for this year, though.

Should he just do something else like Earth Science or Biology? Nothing appeals to him, unfortunately. He loves history and Latin and that's about it, but mom wants a lab science!!!

Thanks for any help you can supply.

Edited by CAtoVA

Copy-pasting my response to your x-post on the High School Board:

First, can you contact Jetta and ask if she has some ideas? Or if she is able to adapt the syllabus and expectations just for your DS, in order to remove the math element and focus just on the lab element (and the textbook)?

If that's not possible, then here are some different kinds of lab science ideas for non-STEM students:

- Forensic Science -- Forensics Illustrated: Stepping Under the Tape -- free complete curriculum; or, Unexpected Homeschool blog's list of resources for 0.5 credit of high school Forensics Science
- Guest Hollow -- gentle high school science offerings: Chemistry in the Kitchen; Math-Free Conceptual Physics; Biology; Anatomy
- Great Courses: Joy of Science lecture series + kits to go along for 0.5 credit of science?
- Joy Hakim's Story of Science (History/Lit-based) -- add/match-up TOPS units + supply kits, or kits from Home Science Tools
- John Tiner's Integrated Physics & Chemistry (History-based) -- add/match-up TOPS units + supply kits, or kits from Home Science Tools

Or, what about something like:
- Environmental Science
- Earth Science
- Astronomy
- Equine Science
Check out PAGE 5 of "High School Motherlode #2", pinned at the top of this board, for past threads on these sciences, for ideas of resources.

Edited by Lori D.

I wanted to add my reply from the xpost about contacting Jetta:

I contacted Jetta and she wrote back to me and was very gracious and kind. She suggested my DS might enjoy something in the geosciences (earth sciences) maybe with some history thrown in. She is very understanding and helpful. One of my daughters is mathy, loves science, and wants to be a vet so maybe when she is ready Jetta will still be teaching (my DD is only eight now) and we can give Clover Creek another go. 

So, I am really liking the idea of letting my DS be who he is (a humanities guy) and finding science that suits him. Labs can be added to most any science. That's exactly what he needs— a year to mature and also the time to explore his interests so thanks so much for the ideas! My DS seems defeated right now as far as science goes and I  don't want that for him. I think I have been trying to push  a square peg in a round hole and that is so unnecessary when we homeschool. We will take a breath, step back and look at options outside the box. I actually think he would LOVE studying the Hakim texts and doing labs along with them. I just don't know how to label this for a high school transcript in a way that makes sense.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CAtoVA said:

...My DS seems defeated right now as far as science goes and I  don't want that for him...  actually think he would LOVE studying the Hakim texts and doing labs along with them...

I would highly recommend adding the Great Courses series Joy of Science to the Hakim study (which is more about 8th grade level, so very light for high school). It has both the history and foundational science concepts in one. And that would help make the year a very gentle transition into whatever you use next year for Science.

...  I just don't know how to label this for a high school transcript in a way that makes sense.

"Integrated Science"
A 1.0 credit high school science course with labs, tracing the key concepts and history of the major branches of science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Earth Science, and Astronomy), with lab work in each of science area. Course materials include 30 hours of lectures by Robert Hazen, Ph.D. of George Mason University (Teaching Company Great Course of The Joy of Science) and the text The Story of Science by Joy Hakim. Also included: formal labs, plus additional books and resources in each of the science areas studied.

• Thanks 1