Menu

How do you feel about your birthday celebration being on a different day?

Laura Corin

If your birthday is celebrated on another day  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel?

• Glad that there's a time that works
    • A bit sad, but accepting
    • Resentful
    • Really angry
    • Other

My mother is giving me a hard time because we are celebrating her birthday a week early. On the 'correct' weekend I have to drive her grandson back to university; Husband is away on business that weekend too . I told her about the issue a month ago, before anything had been planned

Edited by Laura Corin

given the circumstances you gave - i'd accept it.  life happens.

given circumstances I had to deal with one year... they REALLY ticked me off.  it was announced to me we'd be doing mother's day for mil on my birthday, because that was what was convenient for sil.   then I could just do my birthday on the real mother's day with my own family.  I ended up leaving early.

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

My mother is giving me a hard time because we are celebrating her birthday a week early. On the 'correct' weekend I have to drive her grandson back to university; Husband is away on business that weekend too . I told her about the issue a month ago, before anything had been planned

Your birthday plan sounds fine to me and you have a perfectly good excuse for not celebrating on her birthday.  IMO, your mom should be happy that you are celebrating together at all (my adult kids are all too far away to celebrate with me).  If she doesn't like it, just cancel the darn thing.  😛

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

given the circumstances you gave - i'd accept it.  life happens.

given circumstances I had to deal with one year... they REALLY ticked me off.  it was announced to me we'd be doing mother's day for mil on my birthday, because that was what was convenient for sil.   then I could just do my birthday on the real mother's day with my own family.  I ended up leaving early.

I'd be irritated about that and it sounds just like what my in-laws would do to me.  

• Like 3

my bday was in July and I realized the other day that I never got my bday dinner that I wanted.  I was incredibly sick on my bday and the weeks before and after it so I asked for a rain check.  Then we all just forgot.  I am sort of sad about that but since I forgot also  I can't be upset.  I pointed it out to dh and officially put him back on duty of arranging that dinner.  Now I don't know how long to wait before I get sad about it again if dh doesn't follow through. I think if I don't get my dinner this weekend I'll just go out by myself to celebrate, or invite a friend out to dinner.

• Like 2

The conversation went:

Mum, I'd like to invite you to lunch on the 14th to celebrate your birthday

Oh yes, because my birthday is being pushed aside because you have to take your son back to university

(Later)

So, I'll come and pick you up at 12 on the 14th

On my supposed birthday...

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 3

Lol.  We’ve always celebrated birthdays on the most convenient weekend within a month.  Even when my kids were small.  We usually do something simple on the day with those of us at home.   I can’t imagine an adult getting upset about this.  Life doesn’t stop on a birthday.  

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

The conversation went:

Oh yes, because my birthday is being pushed aside because you have to take your son back to university

(Later)

So, I'll see come and pick you up at 12 on the 14th

Does she usually harp on seemingly insignificant things?  I can see being upset that someone doesn't acknowledge your bday, assuming that is the family culture, but to be upset that it can't be celebrated on the exact day or weekend is silly.

• Like 2

Other.

I don't want anyone to go to any lengths to celebrate my birthday (or Mother's Day, for that matter). If the important people in my life wish me a nice day, give me a hug and make minimal effort to make the day pleasant, that's about as much as I can handle.

The only thing that would bother me about your plan is that you are making a bigger deal of/calling more attention to the birthday than I would want.

But I recognize I'm weird about this stuff.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

Does she usually harp on seemingly insignificant things?  I can see being upset that someone doesn't acknowledge your bday, assuming that is the family culture, but to be upset that it can't be celebrated on the exact day or weekend is silly.

She is always on the edge of resentment at the world. She reminds me of the Jane Austen character, 'My sore throats are always worse than anyone's'

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

She is always on the edge of resentment at the world. She reminds me of the Jane Austen character, 'My sore throats are always worse than anyone's'

33 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

The conversation went:

(Later)

It sounds like she is just looking for things to complain about.  Maybe her life is boring and this gives her some drama to focus on.  You are being a thoughtful and considerate daughter.  I hope she doesn't make you miserable on the 14th when you do take her to lunch.  

• Like 4

I call my parents on their birthdays.  It is rare for me to be in the same town with them on the day.  We only do notable "celebrations" on a major birthday e.g. 70 / 80.  (Actually my mom's 75th was this year and I don't think we did anything special.  Maybe we should have ....)

For myself, birthdays are on the day only if convenient.  If someone is out of town or whatever, then whatever.  Who cares?  I'm happy people remember I have a birthday.  Most of my celebration is me treating myself to a bit of fun and relaxation, e.g. a massage or a movie.

That said, I do have a pet peeve to contribute.  😛  In some past years, a certain Person A used my birthday as an excuse to get another Person B to go out to dinner with us, during which the entire time was spent with Persons A and B arguing.  I hated every part of this but did not really have a choice in the matter.  I would have rather had my birthday completely ignored.  Then at least I could have treated myself to some R&R.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

You could be catty and tell her about my mom. She would LOVE to have her children celebrate her birthday with her. Two are dead. One is 5,500 miles away. 

If you can't be grateful for what you have, think about someone who has lost more. 

Word. 

Gratitude is not one of her key skills.

• Sad 1

I can't imagine getting upset or snarky about this. It really sounds like an aging thing. I feel like my mother has these things too. She has certain tendencies which aren't awesome - in her case to make everything be drama. In her younger days, it was mostly reasonable - like a negative personality trait, but not like a major thing, if you know what I mean. In the last few years, it has become something that's less and less reasonable. I don't feel like she has dementia or anything really. But it does feel like her negative traits are ballooning or something. They're amplifying. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I can't imagine getting upset or snarky about this. It really sounds like an aging thing. I feel like my mother has these things too. She has certain tendencies which aren't awesome - in her case to make everything be drama. In her younger days, it was mostly reasonable - like a negative personality trait, but not like a major thing, if you know what I mean. In the last few years, it has become something that's less and less reasonable. I don't feel like she has dementia or anything really. But it does feel like her negative traits are ballooning or something. They're amplifying. 

I think my mum always felt these things, but she had better social filters when she was younger.

• Like 5

On behalf of everyone whose birthday is quite close to Christmas, I'm rolling my eyes in her direction for you. 🙄

In fact, we normally pick a day to celebrate each birthday for convenience--DS's on a Saturday up to 3 weeks after his birthday, depending on when friends are likely to be free; mine and DH's on a night when a restaurant we want to go to will be open but probably not crowded.

• Like 3

We rarely manage to celebrate birthdays on the actual date.

your mother is being a jerk it sounds like.

but, if she lives near enough and vehicle or train or whatever has space enough , I might offer that she join the trip to uni with a stop off at a restaurant or bakery

• Like 1

One of the best gifts my mother ever gave me was her own flexibility (and teaching me to be flexible in turn) about such things.  

I agree that it is probably an aging thing.  Birthdays may become much more important when it's anticipated that there may not be many more.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this; I'm also sorry your mom is hurt over it.  I'd find picking up a kid from university a more-than-valid reason to move a birthday celebration. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Pen said:

your mother is being a jerk it sounds like.

but, if she lives near enough and vehicle or train or whatever has space enough , I might offer that she join the trip to uni with a stop off at a restaurant or bakery

I think her mom stays with her.  Her mom might always have been self centered but she is also elderly and not feeling well.

When my late grandpa was too elderly to leave home by himself, he would be counting days to the next child or grandchild birthdays as well as when the next festival is while we (grandkids) were in school. It’s the empty nest syndrome coupled with difficulty of mobility.

• Like 2

Well, I have to be flexible about my own birthday because I now share my birthday weekend with the Super Bowl every year. Thank you NFL. <drips with sarcasm>

But my family (even as a kid) has always shuffled dates and parties around to accommodate life. My kids love it because it usually means multiple little parties for 1-2 weeks! We do a themed, friend party every year until age 10, then milestones after that. But that’s because I wanted like that. My kids, my labor, my time, my way. 😬

My MIL must have parties on the exact date. DH and DS have bdays 2 days apart. This last year, mil called my DH and strongly suggested that since I don’t care about dates why couldn’t I move son’s party (friend party in DH actual bday). Never mind that this had been the only venue/friend/baseball-conflict-free available within 4 weeks of bdays. Or that the kids were in 3rd grade and not available for a week night event during school, etc. DH responded that he couldn’t think of a better way to spend his bday than celebrating his boy. 🙂 Mil refused to attend. 

Please ignore horrific typing etc. on my phone. Ugh

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't care as long as I wasn't getting bumped to celebrate some other person, like what happened to @gardenmom5

I mostly don't care that much about my birthday, though.  I'm happy if we can go out for fish tacos and I get phone calls from my sisters in the days before or after.  I don't really care if I get a present or anything like that.  

Now Mother's Day, I get sniffy if I don't get an "Atta girl!" for it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

The conversation went:

(Later)

This doesn’t sound like it’s about the birthday.  Sounds like it’s about some other issue that she’s feeling resentful about.  Or, she just flat out as a bad personality trait around this issue and it’s honestly her fault for not trying to excise her bad traits.  We all have bad traits and it’s up to each of us to better ourselves when we realize we have the bad trait.

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

On behalf of everyone whose birthday is quite close to Christmas, I'm rolling my eyes in her direction for you. 🙄

My birthday is close to Christmas.  I got constantly shafted out of presents or parties as a kid because no one had money left over after Christmas for a birthday.  I got a lot of dodgy, shifty-eyed, “Well...this present is for Christmas AND your birthday!”  

So, for many years, I really disliked my birthday having any Christmas theme to it and I was a stickler for celebrating on the day. For example, until I was 40 I made a big point of taking down the tree and everything 2 days after Christmas so that my birthday was completely separate from Christmas.  I’ve loosened up over the past few years and I don’t get as uptight about my birthday and Christmas co-mingling.

I would be very unhappy if the people in my house didn’t do something special for my birthday on the day.  I make a point of doing something special on each of their birthdays.  But it doesn’t have to be big.  It can be simple, like maybe having a little cake on the day, or a gift to open, or a nice meal out, or a favorite home-cooked meal.  But that’s only for the people in my house because we’re all right there together.  For anyone else, friends and family, I’m ok with celebrating on a non-birthday day.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

My MIL insists that everyone come to celebrate her and FIL birthdays on the nearest weekend. This is sometimes infuriating because my son's b-day is really close to FILs and this has resulted in FILs party on my son's actual b-day. We don't do grandkid parties because there are just too many- which is totally fine, but it is not cool to have an adult's party on a kid's actual birthday. My b-day is a week away from the same kid's and I have no problem putting him and his celebrations first. Ugh.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Garga said:

My birthday is close to Christmas.  I got constantly shafted out of presents or parties as a kid because no one had money left over after Christmas for a birthday.  I got a lot of dodgy, shifty-eyed, “Well...this present is for Christmas AND your birthday!”  

So, for many years, I really disliked my birthday having any Christmas theme to it and I was a stickler for celebrating on the day. For example, until I was 40 I made a big point of taking down the tree and everything 2 days after Christmas so that my birthday was completely separate from Christmas.  I’ve loosened up over the past few years and I don’t get as uptight about my birthday and Christmas co-mingling.

I would be very unhappy if the people in my house didn’t do something special for my birthday on the day.  I make a point of doing something special on each of their birthdays.  But it doesn’t have to be big.  It can be simple, like maybe having a little cake on the day, or a gift to open, or a nice meal out, or a favorite home-cooked meal.  But that’s only for the people in my house because we’re all right there together.  For anyone else, friends and family, I’m ok with celebrating on a non-birthday day.  

same sil that bumped my birthday for her mother, has a dd with a mid-dec. birthday.  everyone else is in late-spring/summer.  they all had swim parties.  dec. bd kid wanted a swim party too.  they ended up moving her bd celebrations to the summer. (1dd's bd is a couple weeks after Christmas - I always bought toys/bd-gifts while Christmas shopping because the stores were sold out of the good stuff.)

but I understand the "roll two celebration into one".  my  bd is within a week of mother's day.  since becoming a mother, they've often been rolled into one.  and when we did family mother's day celebrations - it was all rolled into one.  and 1ds's is within a week of mother's day..  I always tried to keep his separate.  it was hard for him the year a dd's college graduation was the day of his bd.  (one arranged a bd cake for him, on the day. - since we were on the other side of the country.)

• Like 1

I don't think anyone in my family of origin ever remembered my birthday from age 15-25.  And every year my sister would get in touch to complain about what an awful day she was having. To which I would listen and then say,  "Oh yeah?  Well everyone forgot my birthday.  AGAIN." and then everyone would scramble and bribe some florist to make an emergency delivery, which never fooled anyone.

My birthday is on the anniversary of one of those huge national disasters that makes the news every year.  It is not difficult to remember.

So anyway, with that background I'd be pretty flippant and without much sympathy.  Something along the lines of, "Oh, well if you'd rather not celebrate at all than get together on a different day we can just cancel the whole thing.  I'll send you a card."

• Like 1

Sorry, she is being a witch about something so trivial. And yep, that is the clean version of what I think about the situation.

We celebrate sometime...within a month before or after events  It varies, because it makes it much more fun and relaxing to do it when schedules coordinate and people can join us without the stress of trying to juggle too many things. In fact this Sunday we are going to a dinner to celebrate my birthday and my sons birthday...which are over a month apart. DD is flying home for another reason, so we are celebrating it all together in one, so she can be with us.  Obviously you can't control what is important to someone else, but seriously she needs to get over herself and enjoy the fact that she has people who are able to and Want to celebrate with her. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pen said:

Or stop off where she lives with a surprise cupcake or something.

She lives thirty minutes in one direction. Uni is five hours in the other direction. She doesn't do early mornings. I'll send a card to arrive on the day. She is contemptuous of the flowers my other brother sends.

Edited by Laura Corin

Oh, I prefer to celebrate on my non-birthday. Birthdays stress me out for some reason. I'd rather ignore everyone's birthday on the day-of and celebrate a week or so later. 😄

Due to super-busy-and-conflicting schedules, we are always celebrating holidays and birthdays on alternate dates. The grandparents either deal... or we don't get together for their special day at all. Unfortunately, our jobs and kids' activities don't take days off for birthdays, so... it is what it is.

• Like 2

We always wish each other happy birthday on the actual birthday (whether it's text or phone call, etc.), but rarely celebrate it on the exact day.  As long as the person feels loved year-long, then the specific day of a birthday celebration is kind of irrelevant.   (It was different when our kids were young children.)

• Like 1

How about adding the title of "Canadian-style Queen's birthday celebration." In Canada, we still celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday every year. It's a National holiday. It's not on her actual birthday, rather the closest Monday. We LOVE Queen Victoria! It is also unofficially known as the "May 2-4 planting-is-probably-safe" weekend. 😂

BTW, Queen Elizabeth II's birthday has never been a holiday, and isn't even really mentioned. Kind of weird, but hey, we're from the colonies! 😉

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

She is contemptuous of the flowers my other brother sends.

Contemptuous?

is this an age related problem or her lifelong personality?

what are her expectations?

did she go out of her way to do up all birthdays for others in her family (you and your siblings, your father, her own parents?) on right date and in a grand manner ? 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

I make a big deal about the kids' birthdays (although we often have the party on a different day to accommodate friends), but there are years that we barely acknowledge the adult birthdays. I have an October bday and for about 10 years now I have been either running a scout meeting, leading a scout event, or running a swim meet on my birthday. And it doesn't bother me at all - I sometimes forget it myself!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pen said:

Contemptuous?

is this an age related problem or her lifelong personality?

what are her expectations?

did she go out of her way to do up all birthdays for others in her family (you and your siblings, your father, her own parents?) on right date and in a grand manner ? 

Me: Those are lovely flowers

Mum: (glancing) Oh those. Your brother sent them.

She's never had a generous spirit, but she doesn't hide the fact now. We've never done big birthday celebrations. Cake with immediate family is all I remember.

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Me: Those are lovely flowers

Mum: (glancing) Oh those. Your brother sent them.

She's never had a generous spirit, but she doesn't hide the fact now. We've never done big birthday celebrations. Cake with immediate family is all I remember.

So cake with family is what she wants now, but on correct day?