Menu

How are your 11th graders adjusting to the rigors of Junior year?

My dd seems to be adjusting well though it's been a bit stressful this week as the full impact of how much work it is, is sinking in.

Algebra 2 seems to be difficult as they only meet twice per week, and it's moving VERY fast.  She will have to speak up and ask her teacher to meet after class today, and is turning in some homework not all the way done because we tried but couldn't figure out the calculator stuff ...we called my son at college and he helped with some of it but had to go before all her questions were answered.  (such a great kid -still helping us 2000 miles away LOL) 

I think this will definitely be a more challenging year but if she can handle it, she will definitely be prepared for college.  She has 5 college prep level classes, plus piano, and is out of the house a full day Tues/Thurs plus some time Weds and Fri, so time management is key 🙂

How are your juniors doing?  Any advice or things that are helping or working for them?

• Like 1

So far, so good. Dd's high school classes start next week but she's been at MPOA for two years and knows the routine for those. All of the introductory meetings went well and she seems to like her teachers and subjects. This year, she's at the CC all day on T/Th without me waiting around for her (parents are required to stay until a student is 16). She's taking Calc 1 and Geology. She likes both of the classes and both professors seem to be organized and effective.

It's also her first semester in the Honors College which has turned out to be a bigger deal than we realized it would be. There are several required seminars and outings. She's signed up for talks by Malcolm Gladwell and Gloria Steinem. I'm very impressed by the range of options they provide if you pay attention to their postings and make arrangements to participate. The only slight negative is that these events are in down town Houston so I will be chauffeuring which is not ideal but unavoidable. I got a ticket to Gloria Steinem but Malcolm Gladwell was sold out. Luckily, that event is next door to dh's office so I might just drop and dash and he can pick T up. I'll do my best to hide out so that T can hang out with her fellow students without mom lurking but if I have to drive to these events, I'd like to attend them, especially since it's not easy to find parking so I need to stay within walking distance. She's planning on joining Phi Theta Kappa and the Math, Physics and Engineering Society. They meet during her lunch times starting next week so it should be an easy fit for her. 

Her orchestra and choirs have started up and she's enjoying those. She's got a new violin teacher this year because of scheduling conflicts and that's working out well. The new teacher is a homeschool mom and is a Suzuki teacher so she is about the polar opposite of T's old teacher but I think it will be a good experience.

I'm glad that dd is enjoying her high school years even if they're a bit unusual.

• Like 1

DS is having a bit of trouble adjusting to the workload. He's always worked slowly and has a laid back personality, so I'm really going to have to stay on him about keeping up with his work. He will spend hours and hours going in depth on subjects he loves while neglecting his least favorite subjects, so I'm starting regular meetings with him to keep him on track. Time management will be a priority this year and I need to convince him that he probably will need to work during evenings and weekends at least sometimes. We're doing mostly home grown classes as there are few online classes that are affordable for us and I didn't feel he was prepared for dual enrollment at the local university when registration opened last spring. Community colleges are rare here because we have several state and private universities nearby and the CCs mostly offer courses for people upgrading job skills. He's also added a few new extracurricular activities to his schedule and is enjoying learning some new skills.

• Like 1

She's pretty stressed. She has significant "homework" (work outside of her daytime "school" time) this year for several classes & she hates that. She's only doing classes at home with me - nothing online or in person because she prefers low key and self-paced courses. French and math are tough because neither are her thing. But the show must go on...

She's also doing a bunch of stuff outside of school to stretch herself & sometimes that stretching freaks her out. She's an introvert artist & writer who is passionate about animals. She has all these great ideas but needs someone to walk with her as she puts herself out there. I've seen so much growth in her but sometimes I worry about how much is too much for her putting herself out there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up dropping the co-op math and doing Teaching Textbooks.  It turns out after also quietly talking to some of the other parents that they are teaching thier kids the math every single night, and the class  is only for them to get public school credit (a CA thing that doesn't affect us as private homeschoolers)...so basically the class is almost completely pointless for them and they felt it would be impossible for anyone that couldn't teach their kid the math every night.

SO I feel justified at least.  She tested out of the first two chapters, and is doubling up from now until the end of September, with the ultimate goal of finishing TT Alg 2 before her March SAT.  Also then between March and May she will start TT pre-Calc or use Khan academy test prep to increase her score if we think she needs it.

We also decided for her to focus on art instead of piano and think about doing a real Art Portfolio, so to that end we have secured one of her old art teachers and they'll start in October.  It seems strange to decide that already weeks into the school year but the fact is she plans to do nothing with music, and something art=related will be her career one way or another.  Plus she loves art! 

So....just feels weird to make changes even in JUnior year but it's hard finding co-op classes for certain subjects that really work, and it's also hard fine tuning what your kids need for college and their future!

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 3

My 11th grader is adjusting to the changes but it isn't necessarily more rigor. 9th and 10th grade he had 6-7 live online classes and attended a co-op. This year he has two online and three dual enrollment. The three de are not nearly as challenging as what he has done at home. He has Comp 1, Spanish 1, and Earth and Space Science with a lab. He is driving to the private university ten minutes away every morning for his 9:00 am classes. He is learning the college ropes administratively and how to deal with the requirements of the individual teachers as they vary and he is having his first experience with a lab class. He loves it but it isn't hard. In future semesters he can amp up the challenge level. He does have more unstructured time than he did in the past so he is studying for the PSAT and then will spend significant time in prep for the ACT in the spring. He has his eye on just two colleges and should be accepted and unless things change dramatically in automatic aid he should be able to afford. Knowing where he would like to go and having already secured a strong ACT in 10th grade have really taken the pressure off. 

He is a very good student and we could have chosen an AP path for him that would have been more intense but for various reasons it just didn't make sense for him or appeal to any of us. 

• Like 3