Menu

After visual latin 1...?

Last year my daughter finished visual Latin 1, and I totally dropped the ball on how to continue this year - she begged to do latin again, and all I had in the closet was Prima Latina, so I handed it to her... only she's doing a lesson every single day and is complaining about how easy it is and asking for the next level up...

So do I need to get Latina Christiana? Or should I skip ahead to First Form latin? 

7 hours ago, forty-two said:

Is it this Visual Latin: https://compassclassroom.com/shop/product/visual-latin-1/ The one from Compass Classroom, with Dwayne Thomas?  And how old is your dd?

yes, that's the one.

She's 11 in 6th grade this year. She asked to not do another video-based latin...likes the book layout of prima latina, but it's just way too easy after doing the video series you linked to above.

2 hours ago, mamashark said:

yes, that's the one.

She's 11 in 6th grade this year. She asked to not do another video-based latin...likes the book layout of prima latina, but it's just way too easy after doing the video series you linked to above.

Yeah, PL is *way* too easy for someone who's done a year of VL - it's for absolute beginners, and young beginners at that, early elementary.  I was wondering why you didn't just go onto the next year of VL, not wanting video-based Latin makes sense. 

Did you complete all 30 lessons in VL1?  How well would you say she's mastered the material?  Specifically, how well did she do on the translations, the part C worksheets? 

Because FFL would be mostly review after finishing VL1, albeit review from a different perspective, but if she did well on the part B grammar worksheets, but not well on the part C translations, then hitting it again in FFL might be a good thing.  (As I recall, the grading for younger-than-high-school students in VL is based off part B and the quizzes, not the translations.  I'm doing VL with my middle schooler, and ime the translations in part C are by far the most difficult part.)  Also, if she's shaky on her accuracy - she gets the gist, but she isn't precise - FFL hits precision hard.  Likewise, if she's shaky on her memory of endings and grammar, FFL hits memory work hard.  (In doing VL, I'd say that it focuses more on comprehension than memorization - I've added a lot of FFL-style memory work into it, and FFL-style grammar analysis, while keeping the comprehension-first (grammar analysis second) focus of VL.)

But if she did well on the part C translations, especially if you made it all the way through lesson 30, then FFL might be too easy.  (VL 1&2 are roughly equivalent to all four levels of the Form series, in that you've more or less covered all the grammar at the end.)  Certainly FFL doesn't have anything like the sheer amount of translation work that VL part C has - it's mostly sentence-level translations, maybe a paragraph toward the end - nothing like the 1-2 pages/lesson that VL has.  If she likes having a ton of Latin to read and work through, she might find FFL frustrating.  But if she was overwhelmed or not enthused with the translation work in part C of VL, if she was far more comfortable with the part B worksheets, if she prefers a word and sentence level focus - then FFL might be right up her alley.  You could print out the samples and see what she thinks.  (I don't know about the logistics of doing FFL without the video.  I think it goes fine, so long as you the teacher feel decently confident teaching from the book, but I've only looked at FFL, never done it.)

• Like 1

Thank you! That's very helpful 🙂  We made it through about lesson 27 I think, before we quit for the summer. She did ok with part C, but that was the hardest part. She's very precise in her translations, but is very interested in the memorization part of the memoria press stuff.  I think the amount of work (translations specifically) in VL was really stretching for her and she would like a year of a bit less translation, so I might look at the First and Second Form Latins and see whether it would be a better fit. I didn't think about printing samples, that's an obvious piece I missed! She likes latin, and has also asked to learn Greek, and I've obviously under estimated her work load this year.