Menu

Labs to go with Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics?

We're planning to use Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics for our 11th grader. I'm looking for a lab component for the course. I understand the book is pretty widely used. What is everyone using for the labs?

My husband is an engineer and can help with physics concepts. But I'm looking for labs that would use simple materials easily found at home. If possible.  Or a lab kit we can purchase.

Amy

There is a lab book designed to go with the program, but in the edition I had, a lot of the labs required an expensive classroom set up of materials. Some alternatives:

Home Science Tools:  
Force and Motion Kit
Light Experiment Kit
Investigating Electricity Kit

Tops Science units (+ supply kits) -- also available thru Rainbow Resource
#01 - Pendulums
#15 - Heat
#19 - Electricity
#21 - Motion

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I taught it last year in a co-op with families who are all about keeping lab costs inexpensive. We spent the first semester on motion, and I used this kit along with some from the actual lab book that goes with the course. 

https://www.homesciencetools.com/product/physics-experiment-lab-kit/

I used some from the lab book for the second semester but also found some online. When we got to circuits, I ended up having them do paper circuits with copper tape. It was actually their favorite lab because they got to be creative and artsy with it.

I did have them do a few virtual labs online, but mostly everything was done in our class setting.  

• Like 1

I am not sure if that is the textbook the TTUISD Physics course DD took used, but I noticed the  Conceptual Physics in the title. Possibly it is. That was THE most expensive course DD took, because it required not one, but two (2) Lab Kits.  🙂

DD learned a lot and the man who was her Instructor for the first semester of Physics wrote a very beautiful Letter of Recommendation for her, for her university applications.

Edited by Lanny

• 1 year later...

Hello, I'm a long-time homeschooler, first time poster.  We are planning to use the Paul Hewitt Prentice Hall Conceptual Physics, 3rd edition, with our homeschool highschool group next fall, approximately 12 students.  What did you end up using for labs when you used the text in 2019?  Did you get the lab book that goes with it?  Did you find a corresponding kit?  Something else?

Thank you! 

16 hours ago, NKMommy said:

Hello, I'm a long-time homeschooler, first time poster.  We are planning to use the Paul Hewitt Prentice Hall Conceptual Physics, 3rd edition, with our homeschool highschool group next fall, approximately 12 students.  What did you end up using for labs when you used the text in 2019?  Did you get the lab book that goes with it?  Did you find a corresponding kit?  Something else?

Thank you! 

I think this thread pretty much covered most of the options out there. 

Since I mentioned the QSL kit, I'll say that you could do the vast majority of the labs with a group with minimal extra everyday items for some labs and using some of them as demonstrations.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BJCole said:

I do not see the free lab manual on the https://learnscience.academy/labs/ website.  Does anyone know the name of the manual?

https://learnscience.academy/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/BeyondLabIntro.pdf

I had to use the Wayback Machine. It looks like they pulled it from the website, but it is still there on the site.