Menu

Help thinking through math sequence/pacing?

I just can't figure out how to handle my math situation--I feel muddled.

My kids are both in 10th grade. One has special needs (adhd and autism) and math is most affected-fine ability/aptitude, great retention, but major struggle with sustained focus. 

For Algebra I and Geometry, I've had them in different programs. This hasn't been ideal for lots of reasons.

For Algebra II, I would really like to teach them together in the same program. I picked YayMath, which seems to have a typical scope/sequence for the neurotypical, but I hope will be more interesting/tolerable to the special needs child. 

Neurotypical kid has been reviewing Algebra I in prep for Algebra II since school started this year. My original plan had been to have him do this review for about a month, then start Algebra II with both kids this week. He's gotten benefit from the review. (I don't think he retained Alg I as well as I hoped after a year of Geometry.)

I thought special needs kid would have just a little geometry to finish up concurrent with Alg. II by this point. But, he's been repeating lessons a lot lately. He got a B on the last test. He told me today he thinks he needs to go back about 8 chapters, where he believes he stopped understanding as well.  I'm going to work with him from this point forward. I don't think it will take a long time to plug in holes and move forward, but we're now at least a month out from complete. 

My options--

A. I teach Algebra II with both kids and teach Geometry concurrently with kid Y until Geometry is complete.  His geometry is Math U See, so quite light. I'm just worried he's going to not handle the total work load well. He has two outsourced courses with heavy workloads that takes a whole day out of his schedule in actuality with travel. He has an extracurricular that eats a lot of time. I can't really pull back foreign language without losing ground, but I could adjust/decrease assignments in Geography and LA, that I teach, while he finished geometry. 

B. I teach Kid X Algebra II now. I teach kid Y Geometry now, probably slowing down our current pace. When kid Y is done with Geometry, I would do some hybrid of Algebra I and Geometry review and reinforcement through this year. On the transcript I would list Alg I as 9th (he did do Alg I in both 8th and 9th grade), Geometry as 10th. Then I would teach him Algebra II his Jr. year. Sr. Year would be PreCalc or maybe go a different direction, depending on his goals. The benefit of this is that both kids could move at their own paces in the Algebra II course. 

C. Have them in the same Algebra II this year, beginning Algebra II with kid X now and with kid Y after he finished Geometry--teaching both but in different places. I do not like this idea...but I'm not sure why it feels like it would be so bad...time I guess. Again, both kids could move at their own pace in Algebra II. But I'd be teaching two time intense math courses at once. 

D. Hold Kid X back reviewing Alg I and Geometry for another month, then start them both in Algebra II at the same time (will that affect his prep for PSAT/SAT testing?). 

For me, one of the biggest advantages of homeschooling is that each student can learn at the pace that works best for them. I would not hold one sibling back to review so the other can catch up. They seem to be very different learners, so even if you started them simultaneously in algebra 2, they might not be learning in sync, and you'd end up with a differential after a short time anyway.

I would let each student continue where they are, one in geometry, the other in algebra 2, and let them work at the pace they need to master the material. With a good choice of curriculum, a neurotypical high school age student should not need that much direct "teaching", but be able to work largely independently.

Btw, the algebra 2 curricula I have seen all contain an algebra 1 review at the beginning; the first few chapters are usually topics that have been covered in algebra 1.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

I'd do B. It doesn't hold anybody back and let's them both work at their own pace and doesn't pile up extra work in a subject that isn't a strength. It would be easier for me to have them in 2 totally different math courses (Alg 1/Geom and Alg 2) than to try to teach the same Alg 2 course at 2 different speeds.

• Like 3