Menu

Bible/religion cultural knowledge help

I’m looking for a resource (great audio book/book/documentary/etc.)

that will help introduce my teen to basic facts/story lines that everyone in our culture should know about the Bible and other important religious texts. We are non-religious, so he’s had no exposure to these things. He loves history though. What are some top-notch, well narrated, deep and interesting audio books ( or other) for a beginner with no religious background to understand the texts from a secular point of view but one that also explains the religious point of view of believers? 

• Like 1

I'm using this book with my son this year, and I really like it. A good overview of the five biggest religions, their backstory, what their followers believe, etc. Highly recommend. Along with it I got a children's bible, and I'll have him read the various stories mentioned in the Comparative book. I also picked up some picture books about Muhammed and Buddha (both by Demi), Ramadan, and Passover.

You might also check out Cultural Literacy for Religion: Everything the Well-Educated Person Should Know from The Great Courses. (I really wanted to use it, but DS doesn't like videos 😕)

• Thanks 1

http://www.bibleliteracy.org

This is it I think. And remember, you can google site search the boards by using your terms plus site:welltrainedmind.com The link to the thread with this was that top hit when I searched "bible textbook site:welltraindmind.com" in my browser.

Fwiw, this is something I used with my dd                                             The Victor Journey through the Bible                                     

If he wants to read the Bible itself, he might like this chronologically arranged easy to read translation                                             The One Year Chronological Bible NLT, TuTone (LeatherLike, Brown/Tan)                                       

Edited by PeterPan
  • Thanks 1

I am using "The bible and it's influence" as a spine for teaching my 5th and 6th grader.  It's above their level - I'm using it as a guide for me to teach from, combined with children's bible that is at their level.  We are also a secular family.  It's a nice, academic resource that, though obviously about a religious topic, isn't itself religious.  It should be just about right for a secular high-school aged student.

ETA - this is the same as Peter Pan linked above

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1