Menu

What's with the ads?

Momma4

Is this okay for 8.5 year old?

Hi, my son is 8.5yrs old (3rd Grade). He’s been independently writing a story over the past few days but I have no idea as to whether this is acceptable for his age. I think it’s great but I’m his mother. There are spelling and grammar mistakes but what do you think? Sometimes he’s written ‘my’ for ‘me’ but I think this was down to him rushing to get his thoughts out. He’s written about 5 pages so far  

There are no paragraphs as I haven’t taught that yet. He’s WWE 3 and FLL3. 

Sorry the pictures aren’t the best quality. 

3B2D8CD3-C298-42F9-ABBB-3A04036CB1B6.jpeg

E66EEAB6-28D2-4971-96F8-54E950EFCB10.jpeg

I think it’s great! Learning when to start paragraphs, and especially starting new paragraphs for dialogue will help him out a lot, but I have found my kids take longer before they really get that down as well. I’m impressed with his cursive!

Does he mind all the corrections? When my kids are independently story writing, I just let them go and don’t correct anything unless they ask. I find time fixes those kind of errors you’re seeing, and I don’t want to discourage the writing. I make a mental note of anything that’s a particular  problem so that we can address during our school grammar or writing time. 

It looks like you have a writer on your hands!

5 minutes ago, kand said:

I think it’s great! Learning when to start paragraphs, and especially starting new paragraphs for dialogue will help him out a lot, but I have found my kids take longer before they really get that down as well. I’m impressed with his cursive!

Does he mind all the corrections? When my kids are independently story writing, I just let them go and don’t correct anything unless they ask. I find time fixes those kind of errors you’re seeing, and I don’t want to discourage the writing. I make a mental note of anything that’s a particular  problem so that we can address during our school grammar or writing time. 

It looks like you have a writer on your hands!

Really?! Do you think?! I’ve been so worried as WWE is really a trust the process program and at times I’ve found that hard. 

He doesn’t seem to mind the corrections but now you say it, maybe I’ll just do as you said and make a mental note. 

Thanks for your reply. Xx

Normal for an 8.5 year old varies hugely.  I can't read it on my phone but he looks to be at the upper end.  He is certainly ahead of my 10.5 year old.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 5:26 AM, kiwik said:

Normal for an 8.5 year old varies hugely.  I can't read it on my phone but he looks to be at the upper end.  He is certainly ahead of my 10.5 year old.

Ahead of my 8.5yr old 4th grader, too! DS hates writing in general, though, and will easily drag his feet FOREVER looking for a way to condense a full sentence into two words.

Edited by Servant4Christ

I have an almost 9 year old and I would be flabbergasted if my son wrote this. He complains when he has to answer a question in a complete sentence, but he has a writing disability so its apples and oranges. I think your son's writing looks great. He has nice penmanship as well. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 10:58 PM, stibalfamily said:

I have an almost 9 year old and I would be flabbergasted if my son wrote this. He complains when he has to answer a question in a complete sentence. 

My thoughts exactly. When I first saw the picture, I had to pick my mouth up off the floor before I could even begin to formulate a response. I don't think my son has ever written that many words on one page. 😀

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Haha 1