Menu

What next after WWE3

Momma4

Hi, my 8.5 year old (3rd grader) is currently on work 13 of WWE 3. I’m starting to think ahead as to what he should do next. I know there is WWE 4 but I read that this isn’t necessary, but he’s no where near ready for WWS either. Is WWE4 worth it? If im honest I’m a bit sick of WWE now, it’s a little dry and I’d like him to be taught how to write proper sentences. I can see he has learnt a lot already but I was looking at Killgallon’s Sentence Composing For Elementary School and considering this. Thoughts? 

I also noticed that they have a book on paragraph writing as well and a few other books relevant to the elementary years. Does anyone have any experience with these? 

He’s just started to write creatively in his spare time so maybe something that would encourage this. If never pushed creative writing for fear of putting him off but he’s enjoying it so far, just doing his own thing. 

55 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

We've done Killgallon Sentence Composing for elementary after finishing WWE3 in 3rd, and have just started Sentence Composing for Middle. We do it almost completely orally, so it goes pretty quickly. I'm hoping to also get through most of Paragraph Composing for Middle this year (5th).

Oh that’s good to know, have you found Killgallon helpful? 

12 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

It's hard to say. He does well with the exercises. We are ramping up the writing output this year, so I guess we will see soon if it's working out not.

Hope it goes well 😊. I think I’ll probably end up buying it. Do you think I should wait until we finish WWE3 or is it something that we could do along side WWE? 

I don't know about Killgallon, but we took the recommendation of WTM and also others on this forum and got Writing & Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I am very happy so far and we are 4 weeks in. It has been a smooth transition from the narration and dictation of WWE, but it also inludes more introduction to creative writing. We are loving it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommysanders said:

I don't know about Killgallon, but we took the recommendation of WTM and also others on this forum and got Writing & Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press. I am very happy so far and we are 4 weeks in. It has been a smooth transition from the narration and dictation of WWE, but it also inludes more introduction to creative writing. We are loving it!

I keep reading about W&R, did you go straight into it after WWE3? I’ll definitely have a look at it. X

1 hour ago, desertflower said:

I try to do both WWE and w&r simultaneously.  I just skip the copy work and dictation in w&r.

It is hard to do both simultaneously, but I like the combo.

I don't see why u shouldn't finish wwe3 before starting w&r.

Great, thank you. I definitely intend on finishing WWE3. We’re only on week 13 of WWE3 so I’ll either combine it with Killgallon sentence composing or W&R. 

He’s independently writing his own stories now so I really feel like he’d benefit from some guidance on sentence composing and paragraphs. 

Xx

• Like 1

I'd suggest one of these:
- Treasured Conversations
Writing Tales (level 1)
Writing & Rhetoric: Fables 
- Wordsmith Apprentice

And since you have an 8yo boy just finishing WWE3, I'm also reminded of these past threads:
"Younger boys and ability/appropriate writing expectation"
"3rd grade writing"
"3rd grade language arts"
"WWE4 or something else?"

Edited by Lori D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for all the messages.

I actually skipped a few weeks ahead to the end of WWE 3. It was becoming very tiresome. Nothing exciting or new you know, just the same pattern....don’t get me wrong it’s been great at training his memory and attention to detail in copywork and ‘hearing’ the correct grammar punctuation in dictations, but we’re (maybe more me) bored now. 

We’re definitely going to look at Killgallon and maybe W&R. 

I keep hearing about treasured conversations but I don’t seem to be able to get hold of it, which is a real shame.