Menu

Do you or your kids use a timer? Can you recommend one?

Noreen Claire

I think we (I) need a way to keep track of how long someone is (or is supposed to be) working on a subject during the school day. I'm also trying to leave my cellphone in another room, so I'm not distracted. The dining room doesn't have a clock; should I just get a clock or should I get myself (each kid?) a timer? Do you use timers in your homeschool, and is there one you really like?

Thanks for any input.

If you update the operating system for your computers, you may be able to talk to it and have it set a timer. Macs now have siri built in. Or if you put a product with alexa (the amazon talking servant), it can set a timer for you. So even something simple like an amazon dot/echo thing ($25?) can do it. And then you could have all the alarms you want too, like maybe different kids, reminders, whatever. I use the amazon fire tv cube in my kitchen to set timers when I'm cooking and already using the timer on my stove.

• Like 2

One of my kids loses track of time but doesn't respond well to the usual timers (I got 2 cute ones - a pig and a bird instead of the standard tomato-shaped kitchen timer).  Last week I ordered a set of hourglass-style timers.  There were lots of options on Amazon but I ended up with a set of 4.  For whatever reason, kiddo is more willing to use a sand-filled timer to practice violin than to set any other type (the cute ones or the one on the microwave).  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

The dining room doesn't have a clock; should I just get a clock or should I get myself (each kid?) a timer? 

It's handy to have both. The clock to know the actual time, a timer for what you are specifically working on. A simple timer for each person. 

I love the bigger ones that count down minutes and seconds, I want want for tutoring but so far have been too cheap to buy that kind, lol. Somebody convince me . . . 

• Like 1