Menu

College Apps - Self-reporting vs official scores

Mom0012

Maybe I’m missing it but I am not seeing anywhere on the common app where it is indicated which schools require official scores prior to admission. I am getting the impression that most schools allow self reporting at this point but I am not finding that information in one easy location. Also I know there can sometimes be special requirements for homeschoolers.

Have you found that most schools do allow self reporting on the common app. How did you find out which schools want an official score? Will they let me know the application is not complete if they require an official score and I do not send one?

I have been looking at individual college websites but not all of them address this issue. 

Edited by Mom0012

@regentrude We did have two schools who accepted self-reporting. If you chose to attend, then you had to send official scores, but not before that.

This article by Compass Prep tells about the trend and lists schools who currently accept self-reported scores. In fact, UChicago is one that allows self-reporting. Just a random sample of them & their webpages. You may have to scroll down to find the info. Harvey Mudd, University of Kansas (who also allow self-reported grades unless you want into the Honors program, then you need to send an official transcript), Middlebury, and St. Olaf.

@Mom0012 In those two cases for my DD, it was clear from the Admissions pages on their individual websites -- spelled out -- that self-reporting was fine. I know of no place on the CA that shows this preference by school. But, that link by Compass Prep might be a good place to start. If it doesn't say you can self-report, I'd send the scores. Or, you can call the Admissions Offices. But I found the websites to be clear.

• Like 1

Thank you. I will check out the Compass Prep site. I thought (hoped) maybe they had all moved to self-reporting. There are a few that state outright that self reporting is fine until you are admitted, but there are a number of schools where I don’t see any comments about what they want.

I'd send now. It takes awhile for them to send them.

Some people say to wait until applications are submitted but I don't buy into their explanation (that the college needs to have a file open so they don't lose the scores). My dd sent all her scores (for the schools who required it) using the free score sends when she took her tests (junior yr). She didn't apply for six months or more after that. The schools had no issues matching up those scores with her application when she sent it in. Colleges can lose scores when they have a file just as easily as if they don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1