Menu

What's with the ads?

Lawyer&Mom

What’s the biggest family your kids know?

I think the largest family my kids know has 9 kids.  The largest that I know has 14.

We live on a cul-de-sac.  When we moved here,

House A -- 5 children

House B -- 1 + 1 on the way

House C -- 0

House D -- us with 5 children + 1 on the way

House E -- 0

House A added 2 more children, and then moved when they were expecting again.  They were out of room.  

All of these houses are roughly the same size.  I am wondering what the childless couples on either side of us do with all of their space.

There are a lot of families with 4 and 5 kids in our town and at our church.   I know families with 10, 9, 9, 8, 8,  and 7 kids, through various church groups.  Some of them also homeschool.  I'm not close to any of them.  Our closer friends seem to all have 2-3 kids, some have 4. Most of the kids we play with in homeschool groups have 2-3 kids.

I would really like to add a 4th, but my husband was brought up in the midwest and didn't know anyone with more than 2 kids.  He already thinks 3 is a big family:(

My kids know a family with 9.

tangentially...I dated 4 guys from families of 7...and married the last one! And they were all either the 3rd or 4th child in birth order. LOL

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Selkie said:

Probably six or seven. We do know a family with nineteen kids, all from the same mom and dad, but they are all adults now.

I would say that two to three kids is the norm where we live. Four or five is not unheard of, but less common.

I have three, and this thread reminded me of a funny/weird incident. About 10 years ago, I was running errands and bumped into the mom of a guy I had gone to high school with - I hadn't seen her for years. She said to me, "I understand you have an ENORMOUS number of children!" I said, "No, I just have three..." and she said, "Yes, three is so many! I can't even imagine!"

It was very odd! She herself had two kids, but no grandkids yet at that point, so I guess she thought three kids was a outrageously large number.🤷‍♀️

My sister has five kids and, although I grant you that is more than average, one lady who knew her constantly kept saying she has “like, nine kids”. So, this lady would introduce her and say, “...and this is N——; she has like, nine kids.” My sister would always say, “I have FIVE. 😑” I don’t know if this was meant to be some little jab or if she just couldnt remember how many kids, but it was aparantly very annoying. 

Through our co-OP I know a family with 16 children. But only their youngest two are still participating in the co-OP. I am sure my kids have met the mother, I am also sure they have no idea. LoL 

I think the biggest families they actually know are about 6 kids. 

• Like 1

We have 10 ourselves, but we are good friends with a few other families who also have 10. We know quite a few families with at least 7. Most of them homeschool, and most of them are military, like us.  I think having medical care often means military families feel free to have more children, especially Christian families. 

I think 10 is a pretty common number to stop at, for big families. We have a 17 year spread, so our oldest was starting his senior year when we had our youngest.  It was getting harder for me to stretch at both ends of the age spectrum, so it made sense to be done. I was 41 at the time and knew there probably wouldn't be too many more.  I didn't really want to have more once my oldest went to college.

On 8/30/2019 at 1:46 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Uh... I think it’s us.  I know moms with more kids, but not in day to day life.  We have like two more moms at church with six but since I’m expecting another that makes us the only family with seven, I believe.  One of the older ladies had six or seven, but her youngest is 16 and only two are at home and unmarried anymore. 

There are tons of families with four or five children that we know well, but very few bigger than that for some reason.

Wait - did I know this? I swear I'm losing my mind. Either way - Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

The biggest family I know is my cousin’s. They have four and are the only ones I know that big. I know a handful of families (seriously, five) that have three. Most have one or two. These families are both Christian and secular. My circle includes a lot of sub/infertile couples.

They are close with a family of eight.  Know 9 a little.  Lots of 5-6 child families.

so...are we just all pretending @Arctic Mama didn't just say she's expecting another baby, or did everyone but me already know and it is old news and not worth commenting on? 

As for the poll, we are somewhat friends with a family of 7, but never really see all 7 kids at once, and the mom is a bit...intense...so we don't spend much time with them. We know a few people with 5, 3-4 seems to be the norm in our world regarding homeschoolers. 

3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

so...are we just all pretending @Arctic Mama didn't just say she's expecting another baby, or did everyone but me already know and it is old news and not worth commenting on? 

She mentioned it a few weeks ago on a thread started by Moonflower, in which we found out there are lots and lots of boardies expecting right now!

• Thanks 1

I think 6 was the biggest they ever saw on a regular basis.  There was a family of 12 or so we saw very occasionally and never in total because they needed to bring two cars to move everyone......Dd had a pen pal with 8.

One of my friend’s had 21 back in my school days.

44 minutes ago, Selkie said:

She mentioned it a few weeks ago on a thread started by Moonflower, in which we found out there are lots and lots of boardies expecting right now!

Ah! I must have missed it! Going to search now, lol. Last I remembered she was posting about opinions on IUDs. How exciting!

I’m blown away by the folks who answered 3 and 4! We have eleven and we aren’t the biggest family we know. We know two families pretty well that are 11 and 12 (so far) and are friendly with another that has 12.  We know several more in the five and more club. I thought that was pretty typical of homeschool families, but we have a pretty large homeschool community here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Hahaha, I did just kind of stealth it in there a few weeks ago but expounded in the pregnancy thread 🥰

I’m not due for quite awhile, a whole bunch of ladies are ahead of me in queue, though I’m pretty sure I’ll have enough appointments and ultrasounds for five of them since I’m “high risk city” as the ANP said the other day.  Thank you for the well wishes!

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Ah! I must have missed it! Going to search now, lol. Last I remembered she was posting about opinions on IUDs. How exciting!

Yeeeeah, that turned into a discussion with the doctor on the risks of waiting vs having more now, and my risks leveled out to it being safer to have any additional children before AMA set in, so we decided to have another baby or two and then probably go with the big v route or Paraguard.

16 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yeeeeah, that turned into a discussion with the doctor on the risks of waiting vs having more now, and my risks leveled out to it being safer to have any additional children before AMA set in, so we decided to have another baby or two and then probably go with the big v route or Paraguard.

I'm ridiculously excited for you! 

Also, finding this out makes my ovaries hurt, lol. I don't know why, until this morning I thought I was very very happy to be done. I've told several people lately that I'm old and tired and my body has been through enough. And yet..man...makes me want another one. 

Although I still think at my age I'd be better off to adopt....I'm very fertile but that last one did a number on my pelvis and I have daily pain. But if I'm already in pain...what's another one, lol. Of course...no where to put said hypothetical baby, given DD2 is sleeping in the school room already. And raising it on my own after my husband died of a panic attack would be difficult...still....all these large family posts make me envious. 

Really...I guess I don't so much want another one now, I want to go back in time and stick a few more in that 10 year gap between my first two, lol. 

• Like 1

My sister has 8. We know several families with 8 or 9. We know tangentially a family of 11. Or, maybe 12. They have a new baby. We don't actually know them, but we attend some of the same sporting events and their triplets are in my daughter's ring.

My family of 5 doesn't seem big at all to me. I would have loved having more kids.