Menu

What's with the ads?

Seasider too

Venmo rant

Seriously people. I don’t need to see who you are paying how much for what weird wild thing. 

There are privacy settings, yeah? I wish everyone would use them. 

And truly, I don’t like the feeling that even with those settings turned on,  my transactions might be visible. I don’t have anything to be embarrassed about, it’s just.... who needs to know my financial business? Why is it even an option/feature of this app to be able to see the transactions between other people that you’re not a part of?

I loaded it and use it to do transfers with/to/for my kids. It’s their method of choice and functions well for that. But seriously, it unnerves me.

Old dog here shuddering over this new trick, probably a JAWM. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Seriously people. I don’t need to see who you are paying how much for what weird wild thing. 

And truly, I don’t like the feeling that even with those settings turned on,  my transactions might be visible. I don’t have anything to be embarrassed about, it’s just.... who needs to know my financial business? Why is it even an option/feature of this app to be able to see the transactions between other people that you’re not a part of?

I loaded it and use it to do transfers with/to/for my kids. It’s their method of choice and functions well for that. But seriously, it unnerves me.

How weird.  I use the Cash App.  It works well.  I don't see an option to see other people's transactions.

Venmo is a social media app, I refuse to use them because it’s specifically social/public and I don’t want my money tied up in a visual display for the inter web.  Stinks, doesn’t it?

• Like 4

Yikes! Where do these transactions show up? Is it on the app itself, when you are using it/ sending money to someone, you can see their previous transactions? Or does it post it to facebook or something as well?

Either way, no. Yuck. Nope.

20 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Venmo is a social media app, I refuse to use them because it’s specifically social/public and I don’t want my money tied up in a visual display for the inter web.  Stinks, doesn’t it?

That is crazy.  Cash App y'all.  It works great.  And you get $5 every time you get someone to get the app.

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

I agree.. Why would people make such things public??  I don't need to know who you've been out drinking with or whose rent you're paying for.  I almost always make mine private.

@Scarlett - what is cash app and how is it different?  

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

I agree.. Why would people make such things public??  I don't need to know who you've been out drinking with or whose rent you're paying for.  I almost always make mine private.

@Scarlett - what is cash app and how is it different?  

image.png.38ecd67b121882e0816ed6a74ab3bf79.pngWell I have never used Venmo but Cash App is just an app you download and then attach your banking info.  You can send and receive money from or to anyone who also has it set up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yes, this totally makes sense, it’s like a social media platform! 

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

That is crazy.  Cash App y'all.  It works great.  And you get $5 every time you get someone to get the app.

Thanks, I’ll look into this one. 

14 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

So, there's a way to make Venmo transactions private?  Dc's piano teacher uses it for payments now, and I need to sign up for Venmo before lessons start.  Is there anything tricky about making the transactions private?

I use it just to pay the guy who mows our yard. It is on an erratic schedule and I don’t keep cash like that on hand. I used to for the mowing but Venmo is certainly easier.

I was surprised to see the purposes of everyone’s transactions when I signed up. It’s like a newsfeed of who is paying who for what. I looked for a way to make it private but didn’t find it. I admittedly didn’t look too hard. 

I don’t trust it enough to use my bank info. I pay the premium to use my credit card which I use anytime I feel any question about security. It’s still worth it to pay the lawn guy but I haven’t used it for anything else and don’t want to. My college kids still have their bank accounts linked up to mine so money can be transferred that way. 

19 hours ago, Scarlett said:

image.png.38ecd67b121882e0816ed6a74ab3bf79.pngWell I have never used Venmo but Cash App is just an app you download and then attach your banking info.  You can send and receive money from or to anyone who also has it set up.

I don't use any payment apps like this, but the bolded is the key.  When we were talking about payment apps for my college kids to use, they agreed that Venmo is the one that is most likely to be used by other people in their world.  So that is the one they are going to use.   

• Like 1

My kids use Venmo, so now I use it (though rarely).  I generally assume that anyone who doesn't have it on privacy just isn't aware of how to change it...  Because I agree, why would I want to know what others are spending?  I don't understand why the default option is to have it public.

• Like 1

I use Venmo to send money to my kids, too, though I don't like to receive money. I won't set up a bank account with it, so it would just sit in the Venmo account until I had a reason to spend it. A caution about Venmo: If you incorrectly type in the wrong addressee, that person doesn't have to refund the money. Venmo states it will work with you to try to recover it, but it doesn't guarantee recovery. I also set it up to be private when I first set up the account. I don't want others knowing where I send my money.

I am feeling so old.  1. Mine was public (mortifying!) and 2. I don’t know what JAWN means and google can’t tell me.  Help.

5 hours ago, GEMMom said:

I am feeling so old.  1. Mine was public (mortifying!) and 2. I don’t know what JAWN means and google can’t tell me.  Help.

Just Agree With Me

I haven't even used Venmo yet!  

Why don’t people just stick with paypal?  Why are there all these choices now!?!  Too many choices!!!!  

• Like 1