Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
mlktwins

Colonoscopy - SUPREP ???

Recommended Posts

Hi all!  I need to go back and read the colonoscopy threads again, but my DH is having one next Thursday - prep to begin on Wednesday at 4.   This is his 3rd one - last one was 5 years ago.

He is doing the SUPREP and they say to add 16 oz of cold WATER to it.  Haven't I read here that he could use white Gatorade or Crystal Light or something to make it better?  Something other than cold water?  I may call the office too, but wanted to check with the brilliant HIVE members!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Hi all!  I need to go back and read the colonoscopy threads again, but my DH is having one next Thursday - prep to begin on Wednesday at 4.   This is his 3rd one - last one was 5 years ago.

He is doing the SUPREP and they say to add 16 oz of cold WATER to it.  Haven't I read here that he could use white Gatorade or Crystal Light or something to make it better?  Something other than cold water?  I may call the office too, but wanted to check with the brilliant HIVE members!!!

 

My dad just had one and it seemed like the prep is not as harsh as it used to be.  But it was longer.  The entire day  before he had to be on a liquid diet.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My dad just had one and it seemed like the prep is not as harsh as it used to be.  But it was longer.  The entire day  before he had to be on a liquid diet.  

Yes, liquid diet starting midnight Wednesday.  At least his procedure is at 8:15 Thursday morning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some doctors encourage Gatorade for the electrolytes.  I can't stand the taste of Gatorade, plus I knew the sweetness of it would make me feel sick.  Maybe if there isn't a concern about electrolyte loss, it doesn't matter so much.   I mixed mine with unsweetened herbal tea and drank it cold.  I could tolerate it quite well that way!

(Mine was about a year and a half ago.)

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I think some doctors encourage Gatorade for the electrolytes.  I can't stand the taste of Gatorade, plus I knew the sweetness of it would make me feel sick.  Maybe if there isn't a concern about electrolyte loss, it doesn't matter so much.   I mixed mine with unsweetened herbal tea and drank it cold.  I could tolerate it quite well that way!

(Mine was about a year and a half ago.)

I am scheduling mine for October.  I might like the unsweetened tea with it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had that prep and was told I could mix it with anything clear .   I used true lemon with cold water.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JanOH said:

I had that prep and was told I could mix it with anything clear .   I used true lemon with cold water.  

This is what I was told with Suprep--that, and it couldn't be red--so no cranberry juice or red KoolAid.  Makes it hard to see what they are going in there to look for.  

I don't remember what I did the first dose, but the second, I just chugged it.  Straight down.  Then took a mouth-swish of and gargle with lemonade to get the mildly objectionable taste out of my mouth.  By that point, the "other" yucky parts had reduced my resistance and I just wanted to get this over with.  :0).  

See?  College is good for something--the chugalug!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the "pleasure" of a colonoscopy earlier this year.  I mixed the SUPREP with Gatorade.  I wish I had mixed it with plain water.  The Gatorade intensified the sweetness and saltiness.  I managed to keep it down, barely.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mixed mine with Mott's apple juice for Toddler's which is basically watered down apple juice.  I've learned my lesson from a previous prep, not to mix it with something I like to drink because I will never be able to drink it again.  I also kept it room temperature.  That much cold liquid going in my system in a relatively short amount of time made me feel sick.

So I recommend a watered down juice that you don't like and keep it at room temperature.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm.....maybe I did it wrong.  I was told to drink the 16 ounce SUPREP and then chase it with 16 ounces of any drink that wasn't orange, red, or purple.  I wasn't told to mix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...